Sign in to follow this  
Charl&Wouter

Tips to get RTMC letter to help with Canada drivers license?

MaryJane

@Marelke Roux

GrantM was from CT and this is how he did it in 2014:

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 3:36 AM, GrantM said:

Hi All,

I contacted David and he was a huge help. I received my letter today BUT the date of first issue on my card is 18/09/2001 and the date that he has on the letter is 19/09/2001.

Did anyone else have a small date difference and if you did was it an issue?

I can ask him to redo it but it will cost me another R114 to get it couriered.

I must say that David was VERY VERY efficient and thanks for the tip to use him. I'd rather pay the courier charge than have to venture into town.

Everything else is spot on and matches my card.

Helanie

Hi everyone,

Sorry for only replying now, I also did what Grant did. I also phoned and contacted David Motlung and he assisted me with the letters.

Lanieb

David Motloung 

DavidM@rtmc.co.za

Tel 012-999-5233

• Like 2

Raquel

So I have decided to reread this thread as we are about to get into this process which sounds like a quick and painless process from what I have just read.

We however have a slight complication, hubby has just realized that his license has already expired! :wacko: So he will have to now apply for a renewed one PLUS a temporary license which takes 4-6 weeks ( according to the site) but who knows what the real timeline will be given its a government department.

Now, given the fact the the RTMC letter has to stipulate the expiry date on it, it only makes sense to do this step after we have the new license in hand.

My concern here, is the timeline for obtaining the drivers-anyone renew theirs lately? We are working with a tight deadline in terms of wanting to land date and this might be a spanner in the works that may adjust our planned landing date! :unsure:

M-N
2 hours ago, Raquel said:

So I have decided to reread this thread as we are about to get into this process which sounds like a quick and painless process from what I have just read.

We however have a slight complication, hubby has just realized that his license has already expired! :wacko: So he will have to now apply for a renewed one PLUS a temporary license which takes 4-6 weeks ( according to the site) but who knows what the real timeline will be given its a government department.

Now, given the fact the the RTMC letter has to stipulate the expiry date on it, it only makes sense to do this step after we have the new license in hand.

My concern here, is the timeline for obtaining the drivers-anyone renew theirs lately? We are working with a tight deadline in terms of wanting to land date and this might be a spanner in the works that may adjust our planned landing date! :unsure:

Hey, we did ours after landing in Calgary about 5 months later when we got our car.   I emailed David and he got the reports ready.  Then had a friend organize with a courier company, Capricorn express, to pick it up and drop it off at her place.  She then couriered it to us via FedEx.   It's seems complicated but it was pretty quick.   So if you're running out of time you can still get it from here.   :) 

Edited by M-N
  • Like 2

Raquel

Thanks @M-N didn't think of that as an option. Just focused on getting EVERYTHING before we leave! ?

• Like 1

M-N
6 hours ago, Raquel said:

Thanks @M-N didn't think of that as an option. Just focused on getting EVERYTHING before we leave! ?

Lol.  Helps of you have someone like me that's forgetful. :P 

• Like 1

ChrisG

Hey guys. I emailed David my details and such. He said I should just arrange a courier to pick it up. I asked for a copy of it via e-mail but he doesn't think that's necessary. Is it fine to just blindly trust him and send a courier to pick it up? I'm just afraid that there might be mistakes on it and I've wasted money to send a courier company to pick it up and bring it back.

Thanks.

Lanieb

It is safe to use a courier.   For all our stuff we used DHL.   

M-N
3 minutes ago, ChrisG said:

Hey guys. I emailed David my details and such. He said I should just arrange a courier to pick it up. I asked for a copy of it via e-mail but he doesn't think that's necessary. Is it fine to just blindly trust him and send a courier to pick it up? I'm just afraid that there might be mistakes on it and I've wasted money to send a courier company to pick it up and bring it back.

Thanks.

We did the same and it was fine. But maybe just explain to him you want to check it because the authorities are very strict.  You'll still be arranging a pickup as you need the hardcopies.   Worth a try.   

Holmes Family

Hi guys, I just want to clarify, can you still go through to the PTA offices ( Boardwalk Office Park,Phase 5,Boardwalk Boulevard,Faerie Glen,Pretoria East ) and request a print out? Or should we send David a request first and then just collect?

How long does David take to process the request?

Thanks

MaryJane

Hi @Holmes Family,

Personally I would email first then go if David says it's okay. But that's just me. And I suppose it depends how far out from Pretoria you are.

Judging from ChrisG's experience above, it looks like it doesn't take very long to get this done.

All the best.

• Like 2

Raquel

Hi @Holmes Family, we were in Pretoria earlier this month and were able to just walk in and request the letter. We waited max 15 mins while he printed the letter for us! Remember to check its correct before you leave! 

• Like 4

Holmes Family

Awesome thanks Raquel

Robes

Hi Guys, if you in Cape Town you can go straight to Department of Transport and Public Works in 9 Dorp Street, Cape Town, and apply for your letters. We just got ours today and the process took less than 20 minutes. All you need to take is your ID and driver's license and R22 (cash) per applicant.  

For more information you can contact them at  021 483 5995

Edited by Robes
Added additional information
  • Like 3

milo23

It depends which province you are going to. The RTMC letters were a complete waste of time for us for Saskatchewan. They did not even look at them. 

We were given 6 months to drive on our SA licence and had to do learners and drivers in that time. Insurance was no problem during this time. 

NostalgiaNut

Hi guys. I'm busy winding up things over here. Can somebody help me understand what is the purpose of this letter from RTMC? How does it help when getting Canadian driving license? Sorry I'm out of the loop on this.

Also, how does one go about getting this letter? Contact RTMC directly while we are still here in SA? Or contact this David Motloung?

CilliersC

@NostalgiaNut - Here is a post that summarizes what the letter affords you when you arrive.

• Like 1

NostalgiaNut

@CilliersC Thanks for linking me to that very helpful post!

I got my SA license for the first time only in Dec 2015 (I'm an expat here. Was driving with an international license till then). So if I'm understanding correctly, this RTMC letter won't give any new info that is not already on my SA license which shows the Dec 2015 first issue date anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

CilliersC

@NostalgiaNut - that is correct, you wont unfortunately get any credits on your South African drivers license; do you perhaps have a drivers license longer from the country you arrived from initially?

Here is all the detail regarding the credits you may receive for previous driving experience in obtaining your license.

http://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/i-have-a-driver-s-licence-from-another-country-how-do-i-get-an-ontario-driver-s-licence/

• Like 1

NostalgiaNut
32 minutes ago, CilliersC said:

@NostalgiaNut - that is correct, you wont unfortunately get any credits on your South African drivers license; do you perhaps have a drivers license longer from the country you arrived from initially?

Here is all the detail regarding the credits you may receive for previous driving experience in obtaining your license.

http://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/i-have-a-driver-s-licence-from-another-country-how-do-i-get-an-ontario-driver-s-licence/

I have had drivers licenses and driving experience in the US for about 6 years but all those licenses are now expired. It looks like they might require currently valid US license to be able to successfully convert to an Ontario one. Anyway I'll show them my old US licenses and see if it gets me anywhere! :P

• Like 1

Nelline
1 hour ago, NostalgiaNut said:

I have had drivers licenses and driving experience in the US for about 6 years but all those licenses are now expired. It looks like they might require currently valid US license to be able to successfully convert to an Ontario one. Anyway I'll show them my old US licenses and see if it gets me anywhere! :P

Definitely worth a shot! At the very least it may give you "North American driving experience" for your insurance

Onyx

I just did this and since there was a lot of confusion before I thought I would share my experience. 

I have to say this was one of the most painless, wonderful experiences I have ever had in a government office. 

-I drove to the offices in Pretoria during working hours today. It's relatively easy to find as the building is marked all over the show. Parking is a bit of a pain, but not that much. Maybe I was just unlucky there.

-You walk into the building and sign in, turn to your right and you are right there. Walk up to the reception and ask for David. 

-Tell him what you are looking for and all he wanted was my ID number. Wait a couple of minutes (for me about 20?) and he comes back with your piece of paper. No charge.

And you are done. 

That's all there is to it so far as I can see. 

• Like 5

GrantM
45 minutes ago, Onyx said:

I just did this and since there was a lot of confusion before I thought I would share my experience. 

I have to say this was one of the most painless, wonderful experiences I have ever had in a government office. 

-I drove to the offices in Pretoria during working hours today. It's relatively easy to find as the building is marked all over the show. Parking is a bit of a pain, but not that much. Maybe I was just unlucky there.

-You walk into the building and sign in, turn to your right and you are right there. Walk up to the reception and ask for David. 

-Tell him what you are looking for and all he wanted was my ID number. Wait a couple of minutes (for me about 20?) and he comes back with your piece of paper. No charge.

And you are done. 

That's all there is to it so far as I can see. 

David is a legend.

• Like 1