Sign in to follow this  
Charl&Wouter

Tips to get RTMC letter to help with Canada drivers license?

Charl&Wouter

Hi,

Does anyone have tips/tricks to get the letter for driving experience form RTMC?

we tried to email a lady named Laetitia Botma at botmal@enatis.com or BotmaL@dot.gov.za as per previous posts, but she does not respond.

Who did you contact, or where did you go? (We live in Jhb)

How long did it take?

What do you need?

What must be in the letter? Sean and Tienie said their letter was not accepted as it did not have a license expiry date on.

I am flying out on Friday 28 Feb so need to get it sorted out before then.

MaryJane

Hi

I'd suggest contacting RTMC themselves to get it done. When I applied for mine, I had 2 applications, 1 with RTMC and the other with Laetitia. BTW, RTMC directed me to Laetitia in the first place, giving her as the contact for getting the letter. RTMC contacts are www.rtmc.co.za 012-9955200 or 087-3108200

I can't remember offhand but I think RTMC called me back after 1-2 months to tell me that the letter is ready to be collected (which would be in Pretoria, I presume). I didn't collect it as I already had the RTMC letter from Laetitia.

You'll need to provide them the following: ID and full name, I even attached a copy of my ID and drivers licence

The letter must be:

a. on official letterhead

b. written in English

c. contains driver's history information like date first licenced, licence expiry date, class of licence, validity, etc.

When you get it, you must just check that these information are on the letter.

• Like 1

Charl&Wouter

Thanks MaryJane!

Sideline

Laetitia is on leave until next week. I contacted her before Xmas and she advised they would only be back after the 13th.

NicoleneW

I've made a post with the new address of RMTC.

My husband went there yesterday with our ID's and drivers license and was out of there in about 10 minutes.

Charl&Wouter

Thanks Nicolene, were you out in 10min, after submitting the request, or also receiving the letter?

Just to combined the posts for those other people interested, the details posted by Nicolene as follows (thanks Nicolene)

The RTMC has a new address in Pta.

Contact them for a print-out of confirmation of your drivers license.

Boardwalk Office Park,
Phase 5,
Boardwalk Boulevard,
Faerie Glen,
Pretoria East,
Tshwane,
Gauteng, South Africa

Tel: (012) 999-5200 | Alternative Tel: (087) 310-8200 | Fax: (012) 991-0371
Email: Info@rtmc.co.za

Guest Petros

When we arrived and converted our licenses in BC in 2012 they did not ask for this letter. All i showed was my valid SA license?

Sideline

Well just to confirm,

We went to RTMC offices today. We couldn't get hold of laetitia again so decided to go try the direct approach. We were in PTA for other business anyway.

We were not quite in and out in 10 min but it was about 15 or 20 min and got the letter while waiting.

Next to-do list checked off.

Edited by Sideline

Charl&Wouter

Great, we are heading there next week Thursday... we did however also hear from Laetitia today, she asked for our postal adress.

NicoleneW

We think that this document will come in handy one day when we have to show proof of how long we've been driving ^_^

And maybe it will help with the insurance :rolleyes:

Sideline

Oh just one thing. Make sure that if you do go in person to RTMC, you check your letter for accuracy. The receptionist did everything right but the person that printed the letter first got it wrong with just initials and not full names. Then the full names version was spelt incorrectly. Third time lucky, although the two letters, mine and spouse the layout was different......

Don't ask. This is Africa......

Same person printed both letters and at the third attempt we were just happy to get the original in English and the details right.

NicoleneW

Oh my word - this is exactly what happened to my husband as well... LOL

Laurenwallace

We got our RTMC documents, as well as our international drivers licenses before we came here - and it means nothing. All they want is your South African drivers license. That has been our experience in Edmonton, not sure if it is different elsewhere.

Charl&Wouter

We got our RTMC documents, as well as our international drivers licenses before we came here - and it means nothing. All they want is your South African drivers license. That has been our experience in Edmonton, not sure if it is different elsewhere.

Friends of ours went for a drivers licence in Toronto, and they have to start from scratch simply as the letter did not have an expiry date on, and without the letter they do not count driving experience. So in Toronto, you have to have a letter apparently... with all the required info

I have ready a few places the international drivers is useless.

M-N

Hi Guys, we are just resurfacing this thread for the newbies like us. We did not manage to get the RTMC letters before we left, however, our licenses do show the original date of issue AND the reissue. surely this serves the same purpose as the RTMC? Lauren, I believe you also didn't need the letter?

Team R

Odd situation but maybe you could help - I lived in the U.K and had to convert my license into a U.K one. Kept it as we travelled abroad to Europe but haven't changed it back into a S.A one we plan to move to Canada. Do you know if I can get that letter from the U.K people? Or should I convert it to a S.A license for the sake of getting the S.A letter?

Thanks so much.

MaryJane

Team R

I think for a UK licence, it is a direct conversion. You don't have to go through the re-testing and such. Lucky you....

Don't know where you landing but here is the link to Ontario's licensing - http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

Team R

@MaryJane - thanks! Let's hope so. x

dallant

RTMC letter: Done! (I had to drive all the way to Pietermaritzburg from Durban for a letter that took 5 min to issue,thanks SAPO!). I

sold and deregistered my car today as well,very very sad cause it was my first car ever bought, and last night the friends buying the household items came to do the inventory of what is it that they're taking,jokingly fighting for who's taking my small wine collection...yoh,I didn't think it would be this hard to let go.It's starting to hit me now,5 weeks to go. I don't even wanna think of family goodbyes.

M-N

Hi everybody,

I am just refreshing this post for the newcomers.

Just to share, we never got our Driver's history before we left SA. I emailed David Motloung, DavidMATrtmcDOTcoDOTza,(just replace the capitalized words with the symbols) from the RTMC in December just before Christmas and he is really good at responding.

I will be arranging with someone next week to pick up our letters.

I would suggest that if you are trying to get this from Canada and need someone reliable to contact that he seems to be the man.

Just on a side note: He seems to be located in PTA.

Have a Happy Friday!

• Like 2

M-N

Just an update: We received our RTMC report. The service we received was excellent. I had a friend arrange with a courier company to pick up the documents. All I did was send a heads-up to David Motloung (see above) notifying him. I sent with them a copy of our ID's and a letter of approval (that they are allowed to request the letter).

She used Capricorn Express to collect and then Fed-Ex to send it to me in Canada. This took about 4 - 5 days all-in-all.

• Like 1

SSB

Thanks for the update M-N

GrantM

Hi All,

I contacted David and he was a huge help. I received my letter today BUT the date of first issue on my card is 18/09/2001 and the date that he has on the letter is 19/09/2001.

Did anyone else have a small date difference and if you did was it an issue?

I can ask him to redo it but it will cost me another R114 to get it couriered.

I must say that David was VERY VERY efficient and thanks for the tip to use him. I'd rather pay the courier charge than have to venture into town.

Everything else is spot on and matches my card.

• Like 1

M-N

Hi All,

I contacted David and he was a huge help. I received my letter today BUT the date of first issue on my card is 18/09/2001 and the date that he has on the letter is 19/09/2001.

Did anyone else have a small date difference and if you did was it an issue?

I can ask him to redo it but it will cost me another R114 to get it couriered.

I must say that David was VERY VERY efficient and thanks for the tip to use him. I'd rather pay the courier charge than have to venture into town.

Everything else is spot on and matches my card.

Well according to the papers, M got his license in Edenvale (which was not the case) the dates and everything else was fine. We didn't have any issue with that. We seriously only used the letter for insurance purposes. If you get your license in Alberta then your license gets sent to a "Special investigation unit" for verification so the RTMC document doesn't help for that. not sure of other provinces though.

Good to hear that David was helpful. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

GrantM

Well according to the papers, M got his license in Edenvale (which was not the case) the dates and everything else was fine. We didn't have any issue with that. We seriously only used the letter for insurance purposes. If you get your license in Alberta then your license gets sent to a "Special investigation unit" for verification so the RTMC document doesn't help for that. not sure of other provinces though.

Good to hear that David was helpful. :ilikeit:

Thanks, I'll just keep it as is :)