Sign in to follow this  
Merv

Cogeco Internet "service"

Merv

Anyone on Cogeco internet service, do NOT use Cogeco security software. Been battling with Cogeco the last 2 weeks to to try and find the cause of HUGE overage on our internet usage.(to the tune of 100bg per day!!) They kept on trying to tell us that there was a problem on our side, someone hacking into our wireless, you name it, they had an excuse. Even going so far as to say that because our network is hidden (not broadcast) that it is easier to hack into (????), despite having the tightest security possible (i.e hidden network, VERY complicated password, AND only specified mac addresses allowed. (I am not exactly computer illiterate).

I had a guy from Geeksquad out to the house today to basically re-assure me that I had done everything properly etc, and hadn't overlooked anything. In his opinion, he had NEVER seen such a professional and secure home network, even rivalling some big corporations.

To cut this long story short, the Geeksquad guy stumbled onto the root cause, the Cogeco security software was causing HUGELY false usage on the network. Cogeco would have been quite happy to charge us an arm and a leg for internet usage . As soon as the Cogeco security software was uninstalled, the problem stopped in its tracks.

To give credit to Cogeco, they are happy to eat the cost of the Geeksquad service (Nearly $300) and they are reversing all the charges now. It has been an incredibly frustrating couple of weeks though.

I just have to wonder how many people are being fleeced by Internet Service Providers for false useage

Nelline

Let me not get started on Bell... glad you got your problem sorted though Merv.