Sign in to follow this  
Eva

all about dogs

Eva

Hi We are planning to move to Canda next year in summer :rolleyes: and i am very happy. I now have a fox terrier cross pug and do i need to buy it little boots and a jersy ? :huh: Do you leave your dogs outside when you go to school? Do you have a dog flap for them?

Trinity :hug:

Tracey22

canadian dogs are treated like children. When you go to work, your doggie stays indoors, especially in winter. it would be very cruel to have a dog outside in the cold. No-one I know has a doggie flap. I imagine keeping the door insulated with a flap may be difficult. Some-one else on the forum can comment on that.

People train the dogs to go out when they go to work, and "hold it in" until they come home. Also, you would adjust the timing of when you feed your dog and give it something to drink as well. i would wait on buying jerseys and booties for your dog until you get here. The stores for pets (such as pet smart) can be larger than any woolworths or stuttafords. the selection of goodies for dogs is amazing. martha stewart even has a range for dogs and cats.

• Like 1

Nelline

Your doggie would probably be short haired (pug x fox terrier) so taking it out to play in the snow you would probably want a little coat and even booties. But this is for outside ONLY as your house will be warm inside. While you are at school your dog would need to stay inside, as Tracey says dogs are exercised first thing in the morning and again when people come home, however there are also many "dog walkers" who would come at lunchtime for example and give your dog some exercise for a modest fee. It makes sense to limit your dog's indoor access when you are not home, so create a safe area for your dog inside where they can be cosy but not have access to the whole house maybe.

Cathy K

It all depends on where you are going to live. We have a dog (cat) flap. Unfortunately various other critters share our towns and cities and we had a raccoon visiting at night. Once a rat took up temporary residence in the TV room. Yuck! We didn't even give it a proper funeral...

Dogs don't take kindly to booties. The only reason they wear it is to save their paws against the salt on the sidewalks. Salt is spread routinely on roads and sidewalks during winter.

It's important to crate train your dog. This is their temporary "home" during the day when owners are at work and prevents them messing in the house. Most Canadians take their dogs for walks at various times during the day. Some will forfeit lunch in order to rush home and quickly take the dog out.

Few people leave their dogs outside alone, even in summer. Most properties are unfenced. Fortunately, the summer school holidays are almost three months, so there is usually someone at home.

And yes! Canadians consider their dogs to be part of the family. Ours even has medical insurance. You should see the pet supermarkets in Canada!

PinkPanther

Our neighbours had a small flap door for their dog. I have also heard stories about other critters making use of it to get inside, so I wouldn't use it myself :) Too scared of critters!

I realize that putting dogs in cages (i.e. crates) during the day is common in Canada. I have never done that myself, and never will, but it is certainly a way to keep the house clean. For me, is great if they are crate trained for travelling purposes though, so we do have a crate for that reason. Our dogs are house trained and pretty much sleeps during the day, so they have the run of the house during the day. We just make sure they definitely do their business in the morning before going to work. I want to SEE them pee, so they are watched! :) It all depends on your dog though. If he likes chewing furniture, or he cannot hold for 8 hrs, you may not want to do that!

I know a couple who has an area in their basement where the dogs are kept during the day (the one is a little destructive), so that they don't have to use cages. Once I also used the laundry room when we took care of someone else's dog, since he wasn't used to be locked up for more than a few hours at a time. The laundry room had vinyl flooring, so easy to clean. He had a couple of accidents in the beginning, but he learned pretty quickly that it was going to be 8 hrs of sleeping before he can go outside! He just slept on his nice soft bed in the laundry room, because when we got home, he will get up all sleepy eyed.

Other than the dog walkers that Nelline mentioned, some people also put their dogs in "doggy daycare". There are a lot of them around. However, that will work out expensive.

Nelline

Our dogs love love love their crates. It is their little haven and they go to sleep in them with the doors open (as they always are when we're at home). They know that is their little safe space and not even my son is allowed to bother them when they want some "me" time in there. However I like the security of a crate for when we're not home as I once lost a dog due to him chewing an electrical wire. So I am a little paranoid about leaving them unattended in the house, alone.

Merv

Dogs do not have a concept of time btw, most dogs sleep upwards of 14 hours aday. There is also nothing whatsoever wrong with crating your dog, it is safer for them too.

Sean-Tienie

Whilst I was not thrilled at the idea of crating our little dog it definitely helped to train her. The trick is to make them feel that the crate is their safe place and not a punishment. We crated for about a year and have stopped as she now has an area in the kitchen where she spends her time while we are at work.

Jesse usually gets her jacket on the moment the temperature drops below 0. Also, she has little booties which prevent the salt from getting into her paws. They get used to the booties although initially don't like it

Sean-Tienie

@Merv - I agree that there is nothing wrong with crating. Provided people do it for the right reasons. Knew people who crated the their dog whilst they were at home because they were too lazy to take the dog for a walk ?. It boils down to training and not using the crate because it's convenient

Tracey22

It is so funny to see dogs riding in buggies behind bicycles.

Cathy K

There are also doggie day-care centres. They must interact well with other dogs, though; no nipping and growling!

Eva

I wont to know what time do thay finsh school there???? :ilikeit::hug:

MaryJane

I wont to know what time do thay finsh school there???? :ilikeit::hug:

Normally elementary school is around 3pm. My high schooler ends earlier at 2:20pm.

Cathy K

Doggie day-care? Like every other day-care; when "mommy and daddy" come off from work... :P

PinkPanther

.I once lost a dog due to him chewing an electrical wire. So I am a little paranoid about leaving them unattended in the house, alone.

That's so sad, Nelline! :cry:

Nothing wrong with being paranoid about the safety of those you love! I believe that paranoid voice in our heads (or our gut feeling, wherever we feel the objection!) is often our saviour in disguise.

SASHA123

This is some VERY useful information...I too have 4 incredible babies that will be going with us and was also quite concerned about what to do with them when we go out to work.

Luckily my doggies are pretty trained, as they sleep inside during the evening and when we go out in the evenings they stay inside. Obviously its a lot easier with kitties because of the little box.

My one concern is my baby girl. She has arthritis in her lower spine and hind legs :cry: but she is on the best dog food, with a double dosage of arthritic powder and daily rimadyls. She also gets regular exercise and visits the physiotherapist every 3 months - which has done WONDERS.

However, I'm not sure how she will handle the temperature change etc, but I just cannot imagine leaving her behind - even if she makes it a month, it will all be worth it for me....

Anyone have advice on how to make it more bearable for my angel girl :wub: - and most probably eventually my gorgeous boy? :wub:

Nelline

Hi Sasha, we have a 12 yo and 13 yo and both are stiff and sore with various degrees of arthritis, so we have Rimadyl to use as needed. When they are better (usually when it's warmer) we give less than a maintenance dose (about half the full allowed dose), when they are sorer, we give the full dose for their weight per day, and in between, we gradually go down to half dose. And so it continues! I also monitor their diet strictly and they get supplements designed to control joint stiffness etc

It is warm and cosy in the house so they don't "suffer" with the cold. Your biggest problem will be in winter when exercise is restricted for dogs with aching joints as they just cannot cope being exposed to the cold for longish periods. So, whereas the 3yo can still take his normal exercise - usually a brisk walk along the pavements in the morning and evening, and a longer run in the woods at midday (I am not currently working out), the two golden oldies only take a potter in the back yard several times per day, before briskly moving back into the house - you'd be surprised at how quickly an elderly arthritic dog can move when it wants to get back into the warm house! Oh, one more thing, the eldest can no longer go up and down the stairs, so I have to carry her. However really they need regular, gentle, level exercise to maintain their joints and they simply aren't getting it properly in wintertime :wacko:

SASHA123

HI Nelline,

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

Sadly there is nothing that we can do about these angels growing old - I guess the best thing is to take each day at a time and just handle the pain and discomfort with the necessary pain medication, hot water bottles and physical help. :wacko:

One very good exercise tip my physiotherapist gave me was to do BIG figure 8's. :ilikeit:If you have a large area in your home, then you should try this form of exercise - for those cold winter days. It strengthens the hind leg muscles, which definitely improves mobility - has been a great form of exercise for my 11 year old female lab.

How was the travelling experience for them? Were they very stiff after the long flight.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading w.r.t. immigrating animals and I have noted that a large enough crate has to be used - so that they have the necessary space to move around. Did you transport them via cargo/excess baggage?

Apparently most airlines travelling to Canada allow small animals on the airline with the owners. Was this the case with the airline that you travelled with to Canada? Which airline would you suggest?

Nelline

Hi Sasha, thanks for the tip!

There's actually loads of info on travelling with animals posted here on the site (quite a lot written by me!!) :whistling:

Basically ,my first suggestion would be KLM but your problem is now that ALL animal travel from SA has to be via a pet transport agency which really pushes up the cost. I used KLM and booked them direct as excess baggage and saved a BUNDLE (something like GBP3k!), however we were flying from the UK. Regarding the crate, all the airlines have VERY specific criteria which have to be met, but as you are going to be forced to use a transport agency, that is their headache.

SASHA123

Hi Nelline,

Thank you for the helpful information.

I will definitely start looking at the airlines as soon as our application is in - AND HOPEFULLY gets approved! :ilikeit:

ENGinCT

Just a bump... :-)

• Like 1