Sign in to follow this  
Cathy K

Help urgently needed

Cathy K

A close and beloved family member in South Africa has recently been diagnosed with MDS.

Myelodysplastic syndromes, also known as MDS, are a group of blood and bone marrow disorders. In MDS, stem cells do not mature normally, and the number of blasts (immature cells) and dysplastic (abnormally developed) cells increases. Also, the number of healthy mature cells decreases, meaning there are fewer normal red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets. The normal platelet count is 150 - 450. That of our niece is currently 3.

She desperately needs a bone marrow transplant and the whole family has already been tested, but none of them qualify as a donor. They have just been informed that no suitable bone marrow donor could be found in South Africa.

If anyone reading this is willing to help, please contact me. Also visit the following website: http://www.sunflowerfund.org.za/

Jeanne

Hallo Cathy,

Ek is baie jammer om dit te hoor. 'n Vorige kollega van my se ma het kanker (gehad?) en het ook 'n beenmurgoorplanting benodig. Hulle't ook deur die Sunflower Fund gewerk. Sovêr ek weet het nie een van hulle familie gekwalifiseer nie en derhalwe het hulle almal wat hulle ken gekontak. Ek weet nie presies hoe dit werk nie; word vrywilligers se inligting dan op 'n databasis gestoor? M.a.w. wat ek wil weet, as my kollega en sy familie wel op die databasis is beteken dit outomaties dat hulle nie geskik is vir jou niggie nie aangesien die hele databasis al deursoek is?

Baie sterkte!

Cathy K

Jean, die dokters het deur al die data gegaan en kon nêrens 'n geregistreerde skenker vind nie.

Natascha is a happily married 30-year old mom of little boy. She has so much to live for and currently the prognosis looks pretty bleak. She's constantly in our prayers. This is a heavy burden on her parents, both financially and psychologically. Her dad is willing to move heaven and earth to find a suitable bone marrow donor. The search for one from abroad has already started, but it will be much better if someone can still be found in South Africa. Let's hope that more and more people are willing to register to become a bone marrow donor.

Unfortunately my age disqualifies me.

CptCanuck

Hi Cathy did they find a donor?

• Like 1

Cathy K

Still looking. They may have found a donor in England, and the cost is horrendous, something like R300,000.