Sign in to follow this  
Radyns

Adventure in Canada

Radyns

Hi All

I would really appreciate some help. There has probably been hundreds of these queries but i cant seem to find any that provide the info i need.

My wife and I are looking for ways to work/live in Canada J

We got married 6 months ago and are now looking for adventure while we have the chance. We do not want to immigrate, we want to go for a year, or 2… or 3 to work, travel, gain experience, serve the Lord and have the time of our lives. We have a massive passion to go to Canada, and we figure if we don’t do it now, we will never get the chance.

Is it easier to get a working Visa for a few years than it is to immigrate? If so, how do you go about it? Where do you start?

We would really apreciate any advice or tips.

Ons sal regtig enige hulp waardeer.

Groete

Charl&Wouter

Hi there, I am sure you will find answers here, but for the members to assist you will have to give some more details. e.g. what kind of work do you do/are you looking for, qualifications, years experience, any certifications, family in canada etc etc

Radyns

Hi, thanks for your reply!

My wife studied fashion design but started working as a artist when she finished. She now does commisioned paintings part time while working as a event coördinator at a wedding & event decor company. She also has experience in au pairing. I don't have a degree but I do have 8 years working experience. For the last 3 years I have worked as a property manager at a rental agency, specifically as a maintenance manager. We manage about 300 properties and I am in charge of all maintenance and repairs while also managing a team of property inspectors. I have knowledge on all aspects of property managment and i'm also part of a select team testing a new rental property managment system, providing feedback and input to smoothen rough edges before production.

We would like to continue working in our current fields to grow and gain more experience.

My wife has the option to do commisioned paintings from home or she can even work on a exhibition.

Unfortunately we don't have any family in Canada but have met someone through a friend who is willing to help us. I am just not sure how they can help.

Appreciate any help :)

Sideline

Hi and welcome.

OK, now for the ugly and honest truth. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp start there.

However you seem to want exactly what your title says. A little adventure and some fun and some "lets go explore the world and see whats what before we have to do the serious things in life".

I am afraid Canada isn't looking for "working holiday makers"!. That would be the UK where you might still get a working holiday visa for 2 years or so.

Canada is on an IMMIGRATION DRIVE. They are looking for long term immigrants that will boost the economy and look at staying for 5, 10 or 20 years. Maybe even a lifetime. Your skills set is not on the required skills list. See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp?expand=jobs#jobs.

To be brief, unless you can offer a little more information and get from your "sponsor" how they are able to help you and we can try and advise and guide you are asking the same question that everyone wants to ask - "How?" but you haven't found the "too" part yet and you are hoping that someone can give you the keys to that door you seek.

Suggestions to get you to Canada:

Visitors visa - NO work allowed

Study permit - Part time work allowed

Arranged employment - either temporary or permanent.

Federal Trade class - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/apply-who.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trades/applications.asp

Provincial nomination - explore the options

To find a job you need to do quite a bit of digging. See here http://www.sacanada.org/topic/16973-how-do-i-find-a-job-in-canada/ and also here http://www.sacanada.org/topic/17877-find-a-job-in-canada-how-to-make-it-happen/

Its not impossible, but to be frank, neither of your skills or experience will get you in on the easier routes. You may want to consider up-skilling yourselves to meet specialized shortages of skills. That will mean studying further and getting a few years experience. But if you are serious about Canada as a destination, Make it a goal, not a stop over on your world-wide adventure dream.

Sorry to shoot you in the foot if that's what it seems like, but Canada is an extremely conservative nation and country and they are used to any and all schemes to get into Canada the "easy" way. Canada is a place where they will rather reject you because there is an ounce of uncertainty, than give you a chance because you "might" just be the best thing that happens to them. Forgive them for the right to be picking whom they want to allow in and whom not.We know of people that have even been denied a simple visitors visa because they could not show enough ties and reason to go back home when there visit/holiday was over.

I am not intentionally trying to destroy your dreams, but sometimes life needs to show you the path that will take you over the roughest, hardest and most inhospitable routes to get to your dreams. Those that take on the path shown, and over come, deserve the right to make it to the dream they set out to achieve. So for now the best advise is MAKE IT HAPPEN!. It might take a few years longer, but if it really and truly is YOUR dream, you will find the right way to get there.

Very often the best help you can receive is not the answers you seek, but be given questions you never asked. Finding the answers to those questions will be your greatest adventure.

Of course I could be wrong as well. We never looked at Canada for a Holiday destination. We looked at it to go make an amazing new life by giving up the enormously good one we have. Why? Because we can :lol:

I do hope that some of the older and experienced formites can direct you to "holiday work" in Canada but I have not seen anything like it for the few years we have been here.

Edited by Sideline
  • Like 1

Guest AdamC

Hey Sideline

I definitely don't agree with the "I am afraid Canada isn't looking for "working holiday makers" comment.

Canada does allow working holiday makers…and South Africa is no exception.

Working holiday visas (one year) are open to South Africans, however these need to be applied for within 6 months of graduating from a university. See here:

http://www.statravel.co.za/canada-working-holiday-visa.htm

I play cricket with a bunch of South Africans this side that come over on working holiday visas, and I myself arrived here 4 years ago on one (I am now a PR and in the process of obtaining citizenship).

With that said, Radyns has listed above that he does not have a degree - so this option is not likely…but…the option for working holiday makers is there!

• Like 1

Sideline

Thanks for the info Adam. I must admit that we never explored the option, and as such I did say at the end that the more experienced formites might offer valuable insight, as you have.

Its great to know this and also gives us some information to give to a few friends that have asked. I will send them the link.

Guest AdamC

Its a really good option - especially for those looking for an adventure and to not settle down this side forever.

With that said, its not uncommon for those on working holiday visas to find a decent employer and be sponsored for PR. In fact, this is a lot more likely than being sponsored while still based in SA (I imagine this applies more to youngsters with a degree, not proven professionals with decades of experience, etc).

Edited by AdamC

Lizelle

Might I suggest looking at other countries that have friendlier immigration/visa requirements?

MaryJane

Hi Radyns

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the other streams of getting into Canada as I myself came in via applying for Permanent Residence (PR) through the Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) route.

Looking at your immediate info, you could try arranged employment or student visa.

You mention that your wife did some au pairing and I think you could probably look at Live-in Caregiver Program as well. Although personally, I don't think this is an ideal route to take since your wife has probably not done this type of work for a while.

Further to the alternative Sideline/AdamC has provided with regards working holiday visa, here's a further link. I don't see SA in the list of countries but must admit that I have only scratched the surface of the link. SA could be mentioned somewhere deeper.

Whatever route you decide on, good luck on the venture!

• Like 1

MaryJane

Just read this on my FB page and it lists caretakers and building superintendents as eligible occupations to apply for AINP. Don't know how similar a property manager/maintenance manager is from a superintendent but I thought I'll just throw it out there as well.

• Like 1

lgonsalves

Good luck! Hope you find a "way in" for your adventure.... (Or another country). But I like your thinking!

Edited by lgonsalves

dallant

Hi all,

what is AINP?

Radyns

Hi Everyone, thanks for all the replies and advice! ... and for being honest :cry:

It's really sad that it is so difficult to get into Canada! The thing is, i lived and travelled in the US for 6 months in 2007 through a recruitment agency and from what i gather, Canada is very much the same... just so much better! :ilikeit: Along with the scenery and the climate we long to go there

From what i understand, it is basically impossible for us to get in, unless we get permanent employment offers while still in SA. That will obviously be very difficult but gives me some hope at least. If i manage to secure a permanent job offer through a contact, will that mean smooth sailing?

I work for the rental devision of one of the leading real estate agencies in the world, so there must be a slight chance of finding work. How big is residential property rentals in Canada? In SA we are quickly moving in the footsteps of the UK where all residential property is owned by 20% of the people. So rentals are huge here, most people can't afford to buy homes anymore so the rental industry is booming. If the rental industry in Canada is big, there must be someone willing to employ a hard working south african with experience in real estate rentals/property managment... maybe. (haha, i'm known for being over optemistic) :P

Again, thanks for all the input!

MaryJane

Hi all,

what is AINP?

Alberta immigrant nominee program.

dallant
MaryJane, on 26 Sept 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Alberta immigrant nominee program.

thanks! would never ever have thought of that :)