Sign in to follow this  
jonathan.b

Job hunting without a degree

jonathan.b

Hi all

You guys have been very helpful to me in the past when I've posted my various questions and problems. Maybe you could help me solve this one.

How do I job hunt outside of Canada?

Bear in mind I don't have any qualifications, only experience.

I do have:

- PR Status

- A SIM Card/SIM Number.

I realise that it's difficult to apply for work outside of the country, since you can't go door to door with your resumé.

Can anyone give me ideas, or places where I can go about applying? I would REALLY appreciate it.

Jonathan :D

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Hi Jonathan

Just a question about your PR status...how long can you still be outside of Canada, before losing your PR status?

I would be very cautious of not staying away so long that you find you have lost it.

What is your field of expertise and experience?

jonathan.b

I work with Apple computers.

I've been both a Salesman and an Apple Technician. I got my PR status in January 2013, so the latest I have to be in Canada would be January 2015. Is that assumption correct?

jonathan.b

I have also done 3/4 of a diploma in programming and web development.

I work with Apple computers.

I've been both a Salesman and an Apple Technician. I got my PR status in January 2013, so the latest I have to be in Canada would be January 2015. Is that assumption correct?

Asked around a bit for you and discovered a new Apple store is opening in the Metro Vancouver-area in Fall of 2013.

Might be worth looking at their job listings...?

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple-store-surrey-confirmed-job-postings/

debs

If you have PR status, that is half the battle. Have you posted your resume on monster.ca and workopolis.com? Also, put up a LinkedIn profile and use the job search from there. Other job search engines you can use are eluta.ca and indeed.ca.

You will probably not get many responses though, if you do not have a local (Canadian) address and contact number. When are you planning on coming out to Canada permanently, and what city/ area?

And BTW it's a SIN card = Social Insurance Number :)

Edited by debs

:lol: Hehehe...

Sideline

I do believe he means that he bought and has a cellular SIM card and cellular number for and fron Canada when he did a LSd etc? In SA we just say we have SIM cards so we can change phones etc.

Maybe he did mistakenly write SIM and supposed to mean SIN though :-)

jonathan.b

Let me just clear up the confusion.

I did actually mean a SIN (Social Insurance Number) card/number.

I was only in CA for two weeks, but that wasn't long enough for me to find work.

Thanks debs and Ingrid for the job portals. The bottomline is wherever I find work I will ultimately live. I'm looking at the moment at either Toronto or Montreal. I've also thought of living in Vancouver, but since it's pretty expensive living there (I'm giving it a second thought).

I do believe he means that he bought and has a cellular SIM card and cellular number for and fron Canada when he did a LSd etc? In SA we just say we have SIM cards so we can change phones etc.

Maybe he did mistakenly write SIM and supposed to mean SIN though :-)

Nelline

Jonathan, do you speak French?

jonathan.b

Unfortunately my French isn't very good, so I'm not certain I'll make it into Montreal.

One other thing I wanted to ask is can anyone give me an idea how a Canadian resume should look? Apparently it's a specific format and it's quite different from the South African CV. I've started looking for jobs, but I've also realized that I need to submit a resume in the correct format, otherwise they won't be interested.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Jonathan, do you speak French?

Sideline
jonathan.b

Thanks I'll check it out!