Sign in to follow this  
Guest Petros

Allergies

Guest Petros

Hi, has anyone experienced any allergies in Vancouver? We are a family of 4 my son and I have not had any issues my wife and daughter have been struggling and I mean struggling with blocked noses, sinus and hay-fever almost since we arrived (over a year ago). Anyone else in the same boat?

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Yip. My oldest battles with sinusitis on and off. I get a bit of an irritated eye when the cottonwoods are out and about.

A friend of mine became dreadfully ill when they moved into a new house, to the point of being bedridden.

Husband decided to check the house for mould etc (following advice of dr. or someone they'd seen) - discovered remains of former meth lab equipment in crawl space.

They called the cops who immediately came and did an inspection. (A former meth house gets condemned on the spot.) The family had to leave the house immediately.

So, allergies can be caused by different sources!

aha thanks will check

Hopefully it is caused more by seasonal changes, air pollens etc.

Tracey22

is it also not a case of acclimatisation? As a family we are suffering from a lot of things we never did in SA. AND, the things that got us in SA we do not suffer from here.

Stefan

I was allergy-free in SA, but now ragweed seems to gets me. It grows in groves of long stalks with yellow flowers, especially late summer in S. Ontario. Plus living in a high-density area compared to Secunda way out on the Highveld - pollution and whatnot.

is it also not a case of acclimatisation? As a family we are suffering from a lot of things we never did in SA. AND, the things that got us in SA we do not suffer from here.

I think another reason could be the central heating in winter and air con in summer in schools, work places, malls etc.

S.Africans are blessed with great weather a big part of the year and we used to sleep with more fresh air in our bedrooms! (Remember those "air vents" that get built into homes? Not sure if builders nowadays do it as well, but I remember being "cold" at night because of all the fresh air coming in through those little holes in the brick walls, lol. In the meanwhile it was actually healthy to sleep with the free air!)

My husband has a hard time with the levels of heat on the sky trains or work offices. In winter he goes to work with short sleeved work shirts as he overheats quickly from the central heating.

We always shake our heads at this - and then people wear jackets while sitting with that heat! We found the US to be the same. No wonder North America has a power crisis!

Edited by Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Eugene

My allergies are worse in Canada than they were in SA. I spend a fortune on tablets. Each season I must try a different brand.

Nelline

Jakes suffered badly (worse than usual) from his usual Spring pollen allergies. We attributed it to not being used to the new exposure?

Guest Petros

My wife's doc prescribed a nose spray that we had never heard of. It made the allergy much worse for 4 days then it cured it completely ----- so its over for now

Angiedoo

I have realized that I am allergic to PG which is in basically EVERYTHING apparently. I have been struggling with my sinuses but have started snorting salt water which is helping. Try salt water, it really works!