Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Flooding in Calgary, AB

So hubby is there on a civil engineering project and it's been raining heavily, resulting in today's projects being put on hold.

Just check how intense the flooding is right now: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/06/20/calgary-city-emergency-plan-ch.html

Calgary flooding forces evacuations, 100,000 may be affected
Alberta communities, including Canmore, High River, Bragg Creek, in state of emergency

Sideline

OMG,

Those videos are something else to watch. What a sight to behold. Just as another thread was discussing earthquakes etc, Mother nature shows her power in other situations as well.

Our thoughts go out to many that we know, through this forum, in Calgary. Dedre and her family and the new little one, Smallbee, Adel and so amy other that contribute here.

We do hope that all of you are OK and that family and close friends are also not trapped. What a situation to be in :cry:

Please if any of you could let us know that you and others you know are OK.

• Like 1

Guest Barbara

Dedre and Family are fine as are we thank goodness.

• Like 1

DPR007

Oh No!!! Please let us know if you guys in Calgary are ok?

Edited by DPR007

Sideline

Dedre and Family are fine as are we thank goodness.

Thank you Barbara, good to hear. Not that we can do anything from here, but our prayers are with you and everyone in this terrible time.

Guest AdamC

Awful!

I am looking at a potential move up to Calgary later this year (I am currently based in Vancouver)...are floods such as these common?

Adam

Karen

Hope you are all safe and dry.

Never heard of this happening in Calgary before, and hope and praying for the rain to stop and things to start getting back to normal again soon.

Take care of yourselves there and if you need to get out of the city, there are many willing to help.

Guest Barbara

They have never had floods like this before. There were some in 2005 but nothing like this.

CharleneK

Apparently the last similar flood was in 1915. Downtown Calgary is on an evacuation order. The zoo's animals have been moved to higher ground, but if the water rises further, the big cats are to be moved to prison holding cells at the courthouse. "Guilty, yer'onner. Just don't send me back there!"

But seriously, be safe everyone, and heed any evacuation orders. You are in our prayers.

• Like 1

Smallbee

Our thoughts go out to many that we know, through this forum, in Calgary. Dedre and her family and the new little one, Smallbee, Adel and so amy other that contribute here.

Please if any of you could let us know that you and others you know are OK.

Thankfully, we too are OK!

• Like 1

Happy to hear that, Smallbee! :cowboy:

Sideline

Thankfully, we too are OK!

Thank goodness, great to hear everyone is safe.

Have there been any reported casualties that anyone is aware of. Damage to property I can find plenty on but to-date no reports of loss of life, some serious injuries though. It seems as if the emergency response departments really have done an outstanding job in handling this disaster and are more or less prepared for things like this, although I doubt in their wildest planning scenarios they never catered for the magnitude of mother nature giving them a show of her power like this.

Considering all of this, they still deserve allot of credit, and even more so to those selfless volunteers helping out in every way they possibly can, even if its just giving someone a cup of warm soup and a warm blanket to recover.

Thank you Ingrid for you making us aware of this. We also hope your hubby is OK

Edited by Sideline
  • Like 1

Thank goodness, great to hear everyone is safe.

Have there been any reported casualties that anyone is aware of. Damage to property I can find plenty on but to-date no reports of loss of life, some serious injuries though. It seems as if the emergency response departments really have done an outstanding job in handling this disaster and are more or less prepared for things like this, although I doubt in their wildest planning scenarios they never catered for the magnitude of mother nature giving them a show of her power like this.

Considering all of this, they still deserve allot of credit, and even more so to those selfless volunteers helping out in every way they possibly can, even if its just giving someone a cup of warm soup and a warm blanket to recover.

Thank you Ingrid for you making us aware of this. We also hope your hubby is OK

Three casualties so far - High River-area, south of Calgary, I believe. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/06/21/calgary-flooding-evacuation/2447707/

My husband is safe, thank you. His hotel is in NW Calgary and the airport (where he is working), is not in the flooded areas.

He stocked up on water today just in case water restrictions become tighter. A lot of people have no power/water so the mayor has asked folks to be very careful with water usage.

Towns south of Calgary are in danger tonight as the storm has moved south, plus the extra amount of water flowing south via the rivers...still has to get to them. (Some places have already experienced some flooding over the past few days.)

It is quite daunting to watch the TV reports. So much water in such a very short time...unbelievable.

Guest Barbara

They asked for 600 volunteers to help with the clean up and 7000 people arrived. I am proud to call Calgary my home.

• Like 2

Sideline

Now thats just overwhelming to read about. Mother nature showed her strength and mankind showed up to say we can and will stand together.

Its wonderful to read that for a change instead of lip service as many South Africans give, Calgarians and Canadians give time and effort to do things, and probably most of them were not even directly affected by the flooding.

Outstanding job Canada and Calgary :ilikeit:

Robyn3

It's fantastic to hear how many people showed up to help! Got to love the Canadian spirit :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Canmore, AB one week after the flood:

M-N

Proud to be a future Calgarian! It's amazing how everyone banded together and helped where they could.

Makes me look forward to be part of the community.

• Like 1

Guest AdamC

Canmore, AB one week after the flood:

Ingrid…ironic timing on your post.

I am getting married on August 2nd and my parents are coming to Canada for the first time to attend ceremony.

I am taking them on a roadtrip and booked us 2 nights in Calgary and 3 nights in Canmore. I was telling my colleague literally minutes ago that I wonder how the town is getting on and indeed whether we would actually be able to go there…

Hoping the town is as upbeat as this promo video suggests.

Congrats to you Adam - that is awesome news!

I am sure your folks will love the trip through the Rockies. It is one of the most stunning areas to drive through - just my opinion.

The trip from Vancouver-Calgary is an absolute must if people have time for it.

Enjoy your time and again, congrats with the upcoming wedding. :ilikeit:

PS. It is kinda cool - the timing of the post on Canmore, AB and you talking to your colleague about your proposed trip.

Quite the upbeat video!

Cool! :ilikeit:

Love this!

Watch and Tide will donate $1 to the Alberta flood relief efforts.

Inspired by the resilience of the people of Alberta, Tide has decided to donate $1 per video view (to a max $25,000) to continue to provide support and hope.

https://www.facebook.com/Tide

Edited by Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell