Sign in to follow this  
Macethy

My wife got a written job offer from Canada. Now what?

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

I would say it's harder to say no to this: :ilikeit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrIPjfwhpQ4

Love the video! Thanks for sharing Tjoppie.

Calgarians are committed to clean-up and rebuild after the current flooding and it won't be long, (OK, it may take several months/years), and downtown Calgary will be as beautiful again as portrayed in this video. I love the Albertan spirit. People are there for each other.

The video portrays the freedom one has in Canada to walk, run, braai, dance, kayak, shop and LIVE without fear. The terrible floods have certainly caused damage to many areas in Alberta, but as hard as that is - it can and will be rebuilt.

Nicky

You will love Alberta. :cowboy: Cowboy country :cowboy:

• Like 1

M-N

Haha, Thanks Ingrid. In my mind I'm already a Cowboy. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

M-N

Hi There,

So we are a bit stressed in possibly being delayed, not only with the floods but also the strike too. Is there anything else that we can do in the mean time to assist in the process? Maybe ensure that we have certain documentation ready? We did the police clearance thankfully, but what else can we do so long? I will probably be going on a long term working visa as the contract is permanent. Any suggestions or should we just calm down and wait...

Also, what are the general rules around someone with a Polish Passport? I read that Polish passport holder (the bio metric passport) do not need travel visas and it can take up to a day to process a work permit/ visa (not sure if it's the same thing). How true is this? :unsure::wacko:

Charles&Deirdre

@Nicky,

You need to have all your unabridged birth and marriage certificates done (they take up to 4 months!)

Make sure all your qualifications are in English, if not get them translated by an accredited person.

If you or partner have a criminal record (perhaps a car accident etc) expunged asap, if possible, this also takes about 4 months. Strongs!!

M-N

Thanks Charles&Deidre. Now here's a very silly question. How do i get an unabriged birth certificate? My husband was born in Poland. Does he have to get it throught the polish embassy?

I'm very bad with paperwork. *blush*

Shiraz

Hi

Is a marriage certificate important or a must? What happens in the case where you have a life partner? Or the mother of your kids stay with you but you guys are not officially married and she will be immigrating with everyone?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Shiraz

Laurenwallace

Already applied for it, should be able to collect in the next two weeks if all goes well :ilikeit:

Read a little bit more about the LMO, and it states that the company must prove that there is no-one suitable in the entire Canada that can do that job. Surely that's an over-exaggeration? There might be people that can do the job but stay far away and aren't willing to relocate or there are multiple people that can do a certain part of the job but not all of the job requirements. It just seems very harsh.

Its just standard process for the LMO to be approved. What they did in my husband's case was they advertised the position in the local job newspaper, did 3 interviews with Canadian locals, and then sent a letter of motivation to the LMO office (whatever you call it... cant remember now) and that is that. Don't let it freak you out, they wouldn't have offered her the job if they were planning on hiring a local.

A word of advice, prepare yourself for documents, documents and more documents!!! We used a company called DocAssist, located in SA, and they are great! You can contact Samantha at quotedocassist@gmail.com.We needed our unabridged birth certificates for our application, and having applied for our kiddies unabridged birth certificates through Home Affairs our selves, we waited 4 months for them! Which held up the entire process. You will pay a bit in to get the documents done if you choose to use this company, but its worth every cent, as you get your documents within 2 weeks.

Good luck, and stick it out! Its worth it in the long run. Not many people get the opportunity to leave SA for a beautiful country like Canada, so take it with both hands. This is our driving force, its been a tough rollercoaster of ups and downs, and has taken us almost a year to get everything done, but come September we will be starting our new lives in a wonderful country, and we are blessed.

Thinking of you.

• Like 1

Laurenwallace

Hi

Is a marriage certificate important or a must? What happens in the case where you have a life partner? Or the mother of your kids stay with you but you guys are not officially married and she will be immigrating with everyone?

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Shiraz

As far as I understand (and what has happened in our case) is that the marriage certificate is a must. Our problem was that we were each married once before, and we needed to not only get our unabridged birth certificates, but we needed to get our UNABRIDGED marriage certificates (I never even knew something like this existed!)

Also, if you have any children from previous marriages, or born out of wedlock, good luck... it has taken us about 4 months to get approval letters, court orders, updated maintenance and visitation contracts done - and this is with the father not contesting me taking the child out of the country... the child laws have all changed since 2006, so it was a complete mess.

For those other documents, contact Doc Assist, they are really good!

M-N

So we finally got our Police Clearance certificates. I applied for my unabridged birth certificate. They said it will take between 6 -8 weeks. Knowing our Home affairs I might actually get it earlier but not holding my breath.

What if you're not married but engaged? Do we need an affidavit of some sort or something? No kids so not worried about that.

Lizelle

Shiraz and Nicky

You absolutely DO NOT need to be married. You do, however, have to proof a relationship where you have both been living at the same address for at least 12 months (bank statements, utility bills and such going to the same address)

From cic website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=347&t=14)

How can my common-law partner and I prove we have been together for 12 months?

Items that can be used as proof of a common-law relationship include:

• a statutory declaration of a common-law union,
  • statements for shared bank accounts,
  • shared credit cards,
  • proof of shared ownership of residential property,
  • shared residential leases,
  • shared rental receipts,
  • bills for shared utilities accounts, such as
    • electricity,
    • gas or
    • telephone,
  • proof of shared management of household expenses,
  • evidence of shared purchases (especially of household items),
  • mail addressed to either or both of you at the same address,
  • important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as
    • identification documents,
    • driver’s licences and
    • insurance policies and
  • any other documents that show you have been living together.

You do not need to include all these items to prove your relationship is real. Citizenship and Immigration Canada may consider other proof as well

Photos, telephone bills and letters will not be returned. Do not send videos or CD-ROMs. Documents such as marriage certificates and passports will be returned. However, you should send certified photocopies, not originals.

Edited by Lizelle

M-N

Thanks Lizelle. In that case our lease for our flat will work as it is on both our names. :) That's a relief.

Laurenwallace

Just a note - we have had to reapply for our police clearance certificates again now, and the SAPS has a backlog... they are saying between 20 to 40 working days.

M-N

Ah no! Why did you have to reapply?

Cathy

Police clearance certificates from the country in which you are currently resident are only valid for 6 months ( you could commit a crime after that).

What I used to do was renew them, which is possible, before the time ducring which you were eligible to apply for renewal expired. It was extra cost but it ensure I always had an up to date police certificate come the time when it was needed and didn't have an unnecessary delay.

M-N

Aaah, that makes sense Cathy. Lol, never thought of that. Well, here's hoping that it doesn't take 6 months. :ilikeit:

Laurenwallace

Ah no! Why did you have to reapply?

We have been waiting for a court order to finalise our applications (which we got today!!!) and so in the process, our police clearance certificates reached their 3 month mark. We cannot submit our application with a police clearance certificate that is older than 3 months :badidea:

Cathy

We have been waiting for a court order to finalise our applications (which we got today!!!) and so in the process, our police clearance certificates reached their 3 month mark. We cannot submit our application with a police clearance certificate that is older than 3 months :badidea:

The website instruction form says:

We strongly recommend that you submit your police certificates with your application to the CIO. If you are unable to obtain all the necessary police certificates, you may still send your application to the CIO without them. However, please note that if your application is placed into processing you must be ready to submit them to the visa office when requested.

Note: If you are including your police certificates with your application to the CIO, please ensure that your certificates were not issued more than three months earlier. Police certificates are generally valid for 12 months from the date they are issued. However, if a final decision is not made on your application before the expiry of your police certificate, the visa office may request that you provide a new one.

You can submit you application with the current police certificates and then have new ones in hand should they request them. You only have to re-submit police clearance certificates if they ask for them and they will usually only do that if your certificates are so outdated that there is a good chance you could have committed an offence in the interim. If the current processing times for TRV are less than a year it is worth submitting without delaying further.

Laurenwallace

Thanks for the info Cathy :ilikeit:

M-N

Got news back regarding the LMO. Seems that the Goverment had a surprise revision regarding certain aspects of the LMO application and that everyone seems to be scrambling.

From what we can understand, the only part that really got affected is the Advertising part of it. Nevertheless, the might actually delay the LMO process by a week or few.

Here's the link I was provided for those still in the process. Not sure who will be affected but it is an interesting read: http://www.nortonrosefulbright.com/ca/en/knowledge/publications/102106.