Sign in to follow this  
PaulM

Newfieland

PaulM

Hi

:D

St John’s is the oldest city in North America and we always celebrate New Year first.

Currently there is only ten Ex-South African families living in St John’s / Newfoundland that we are aware of at this time.

There is quite a demand for our skilled physicians from South Africa over here.

There are two guys flying Super Puma Helicopters for the offshore industry and that is us in Newfieland in a nutshell.

I any one would like to know more about Newfoundland/St John’s feel free to contact me.

Happy New Year!!

Paul

Hendie

Welkom Paul!

Baie dankie dat jy ingewillig het om ons kontak te wees in die verre ooste. Hier's nou jou geleentheid om julle deel van Kanada bietjie te bevorder by Suid-Afrikaners hier en terug in die "ou" land :rolleyes:

Hendie

debbieD

Hi Paul,

Nice to meet you! Do you like living in N'fdland? We just love the humour and music from there. We are big fans of The Fables who I believe are mostly from St. Johns. We definitely want to make a trip out east, and Newfoundland is on the top of the list of places to visit.

What is the job situation like there? I wouldn't mind living by the sea again. :)

PaulM

Hi Debbie D

Yes boy, I lived in St John’s for 3 years now.

The weather is the hworst I have ever experienced.

This and last winter, we had a snowstorm every 2nd day. The snow is already a couple of feet high. But as the newfies say if you don’t like the weather in the back yard open your front door, and that is really how quickly the weather can change.

Summers is on the cool side about 20-25C.The best time to visit is in September, you should see the most sun during this time.

Because of the cold water the summer months is also our foggiest.

Their is lots of whales and Icebergs in the summer months you can spot them from the coast or go on boat tours.

St John’s is an old town, they try to preserve the heritage.

The culture is quite unique and a night on the town and you are guaranteed to get "Screeched In"(another word for kissing a cod fish, not always sober I might add). :)

It is very costly to get an airline ticket to this place.

We are in the process of trying to get a ticket from Calgary to St John’s and the cheapest is $1103.00,I can go to South Africa(GP) for that.

We are only 10 or so ex-South African families living in St John’s. Their is another couple living on the far west side of the island.

We are two helicopter pilots from SA and the rest is doctors and their families or parents.

Christmas and New years we normally spend together and its almost like we are all family.;)

Re: Jobs

The oil industry offers a few jobs.

Unemployment is still high in this part of the world.

Their has been some improvement but most newfies leave the province for better jobs.

Doctors, nurses, pilots-helicopter +IFR +ATPL, should have no problem.

My wife is a systems analyst and is still working for an Calgary company One guy ex-SA is doing SAP but his contract will not be renewed and is leaving soon.

St John’s is only about 200 000 people give and take a few 100.

The rest of Newfoundland is more rural than anything else.

I hope I answered a few questions.

Cheers

Newfie

Newfie lingo-Yes boy

Screeched

hworst :P:D

debbieD

Sounds like a nice place to visit but not to live. :P Thanks for all the info. My husband is a systems analyst/SAP/programmer/project manager, and I don't think he would find a job in any of his fields in Nfld. I'm studying to be a web designer, so I guess I could live anywhere really, but I follow hubby. Anyway, we are pretty happy here in Calgary - I just miss the sea, and I don't like Vancouver (toooooo big), although I do like Victoria.

Sounds like every area has a saying about the quick change in their weather. Here in Calgary, they say if you don't like the weather, then wait five minutes, and if you still don't like it, then wait five minutes more. You can get all four seasons in one day here sometimes. Although, at the moment it seems to be heading back to summer, but I'd better not tempt fate, it may send us a snowstorm :):D .

vash

hi guys... i just wanted to add that unfortunately i have been in nl for 2 years now and i work with my husband as a physician in a rural part of newfoundland... 3,5 hrs away from st john's

unfortuantley for most sa docs... this is the first portal of entry together with saskatchewan(which is not far off in terms of nothing much happening)

i have not enjoyed my experience and i would tellmost ppl to steer clear of this place

there is nothing going on.. most ppl are on social services... it is also really expensive to fly to any place in canad from here so it sux.... also cos its an island... u cant even drive to the mainland!

i am moving to nova scotia nxt mo... i don't think i will ver come back here... cos this is no reflection of canada at all!

Liz

Where in Nova Scotia are you moving to?

vash

we r moving to yarmouth... south western region

Najran

Vash, you've obviously had a bad experience, we've been living in Newfoundland going on 4 years, we lived in Dubai for a year (prior to coming out to Canada) with all it's amenities, theme parks shopping malls you name it, would I go back ..... not on your life, we love it here. Granted it was a culture shock when we arrived & it took about a year to settle, now I wouldn't consider a move to anywhere else in Canada.

Edited by Najran
  • Like 1

Zonnenshine

Hey, we are moving to Newfoundland in the spring. Not to St Johns though, but to the west, to Corner Brook. We are currently living in Victoria, BC> My husband grew up north in Ontario ... here in Victoria it doesn't snow so next winter will be my first winter with heaps of snow.... I just finished immigrating into Canada on spousal sponsorship in November and am now a permanent resident. I have however been in Canada since June 2006.

Hope you all are doing well ...

Regards,

Sonja

Najran

Sonja, I'm sure you will be very happy in Corner Brook & you will definitely be guaranteed a snowy winter :blink: . If you love the outdoors there's lots to do in & around Corner Brook winter & summer. Wonderful cross country skiing, good downhill at Marble Mountain, the West Coast is a snowmobilers dream. There is a excellent drama festival held in Stephenville over the summer, great kayaking on the Humber River, wonderful hikes in Gros Morne, Corner Brook is definitely one of the best places to stay in Newfoundland. We love Corner Brook & try to get there at least twice a year, we're about a 5 hour drive away.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Do any of you who contributed to this thread still live in NL? :)