Sign in to follow this  
picketfay

Saskatchewan bound - Canuck wife and Boer hubby

picketfay

Hello All!

I'm Canadian but have lived overseas in Europe since 18 and now the past 4 years in SA. My husband is born and bred Afrikaaner and has finally had it with South Africa. We want to move to SouthEastern Sask or SouthWestern Manitoba (preferably somewhere between Brandon and Regina) as that is where I'm from originally. We hope to sell our business here in the East Rand (tyre fitment centre) and open/take over another one there.

We are expecting our 2nd child together in July 2013. Our 1st is turning 2 this year. Luckily the children are also Canadian citizens so it is just my hubby and possibly in the future his 16 year old son who need to apply for permanent residence.

I see most of the people here are going it via the skilled worker venue, but we of course are going the spousal sponsorship route. I have been finding very difficult to find any information for someone in the same boat as us. Any suggestions, websites, forum links that can help me would be much appreciated.

I have as of today applied for all the unabridged birth and marriage certificates, vault copies of birth and marriage, as well as a new passport for my husband as his expires early 2015 and I'm afraid of going through all this mess and then not getting perminent residence until the end of 2014 or later, only to have his passport expire on us!!

We want to move around December 2014. ANY ADVISE FOR US WOULD BE SO WELCOME. I'm just really stressed about all this paperwork.

THANKS FOR BEING A PART OF THIS!

PicketFay aka Amanda

picketfay

Oh, yes, I've read all that. I've downloaded the forms and filled almost everything out but now have to wait 3 to 4 months according to home affairs Kempton Park for the unabridged marriage and birth certificates. My concerns are:

1) Do I have to meet the financial requirements of a spousal sponser? We've been married nearly 4 years and have 2 children together, plan to live together in South Africa until we get the PR for him, and I am not allowed to work here as I'm on a normal temp visa without work endorsement. I have no way of meeting any financial requirements, and don't even live in canada or have a job waiting there. He owns a business here (too small for entrepeneur visa) and we wish to buy one in canada.

2) How do you proove intent to move to canada when it isn't for another 1.5 years? We are in the scouting faze of finding a business to buy in Canada, and haven't put anything up for sale yet here. We don't know what town we will live in so can't get property purchase or rental agreements. What can I supply them with?

3) Will the kids lose their dual citizenship? My 2 year old has both passports canada and SA. My newborn will as well. Must I get a letter or something to retain their south african citizenship?

That's it so far, but I'm sure more concerns and questions are to follow!

Thanks all!

Amanda

Guest AdamC

Hi Amanda

I went through the spousal sponsorship route and received my PR two years ago. I also play cricket at a club this end and I am basically surrounded by chaps who have been/are being sponsored through this avenue – so I think I have a pretty decent understanding. With that said, the below are my experiences, so if there were any issues – definitely seek a professional opinion.

In relation to your questions above:

1) My girlfriend at the time (now fiancée) had to prove that she was financially capable of supporting me. I am not sure if this changes in the fact that you are married, and also (I am assuming) have a decent net worth behind you in the form of a business, etc…however, she had to hand in details of earnings proving that if I were to become unemployed that she could cover me – point to note: Spousal sponsored PRs cannot claim EI this side – despite me having paid into EI for 4 years, I am unable to claim it.

2) I don’t feel that “proving intent” to move to Canada is particularly relevant. While I submitted my application from “inside” Canada, I had another cricket mate submit his application to an office in Australia while he travelled South America with his Canadian girlfriend (now wife). They never knew when they were going to come to Canada and he ended up coming quite a while after his PR was approved. I assume you know this; however you do have to remain in Canada for 2 of every 5 year period to retain your Canadian PR.

In summary: He never listed when he planned to come to Canada and had no trouble with his application. Another point to note is that time-wise it is actually beneficial (or at least was when I submitted my application) to apply “outside” of Canada. As you still have quite a while before the big move, I would apply from within South Africa.

3) Yup – you need to obtain a “Retention of South African Citizenship” certificate. I have recently been looking into this, as I have a Canadian citizenship application coming up. Here are the details via the South African embassy this side, however I imagine these would be pretty easy to obtain at a local home affairs back in SA.

http://www.southafrica-canada.ca/Consular/DUAL%20CITIZENSHIP%20AND%20USE%20OF%20A%20PASPPORT%20OF%20ANOTHER%20COUNTRY.htm

Hope this helps somewhat. The application waiting time on this method can be frustrating, however compared to some of the wait times/challenges that some of these forum members come up against…it’s a piece of cake.

Dedré

Welcome to the forum.

picketfay

Thanks AdamC, You did answer alot of my questions. The one which still plagues me is the financial requirements. I have read on some sites that if you are married as long as we are, with children, then there are no financial requirements. But all the forms from immigration keep asking for an 'OPTION C PRINTOUT' from Canada Revenue, but like I say, I haven't worked in Canada since 2005 and that was only for 11 months on a salary that barely supported me let alone 4 familly members! Its too bad CIC isn't more clear on this issue, they state one thing but then everything else they say negates the first statement!

Another question....did anyone ever need a Military Certificate showing when you were in service? My husband was the last of the obligatory in SA.

Thanks,

Amanda

ENGinCT

Hi Fay

In my FSW application (in 2010), applicants who had served in any military or armed forces had to provide a full accounting of their activities. I'd been in the old SADF, like most of my peers, but had long lost all the relevant paperwork.

I provided a short but succinct sworn affidavit, with dates, units and a description of what my duties entailed, and had no problems.

Trust me, your other half will remember his magsnommer without a blink....

:-)

• Like 1

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Another question....did anyone ever need a Military Certificate showing when you were in service? My husband was the last of the obligatory in SA.

Thanks,

Amanda

Amanda

Yes, my husband needed one back in 2006 when we applied for work permits initially. He contacted his old regiment in Pretoria and his dad was able to pick it up and send it through to us.

Seattle Consulate (now closed as well) would not budge until they had it. It was a one-page service certificate.

picketfay

Thanks for the military info. I requested a certificate via email and it should be mailed out to me for free! Lets hope it actually gets here! My hubby has no problem remembering that number. Must have been 'drilled' into him, so to speak!

I hope I will get some good info somewhere about the financial requirements for my situation....I believe that because we are married almost 4 years and have 2 children together, there are no financial requirements. I don't have to have a job waiting for me in Canada when we move, but obviously could arrange one, but then it wouldn't be honest on my part because I have no intention of working for someone, we will be self employed.

We are getting somewhere with the business we wish to purchase/create with some good opportunities in the cities we want to move to....Brandon and Regina. Hopefully the emails and our investment will be enough to convice the CIC of intent and financial means to support. I will include the south african business financials in the application as well as any correspondance regarding the new business in canada.

• Like 1

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Thanks for the military info. I requested a certificate via email and it should be mailed out to me for free! Lets hope it actually gets here! My hubby has no problem remembering that number. Must have been 'drilled' into him, so to speak!

That is good news!

MartieKruger

Hi Amanda,

I live in Brandon , Manitoba. Check out my facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/LivingandFarminginManitobaCanada/

I assist South Africans relocating to Brandon, and could help you with "some" info in regards to Sask.

I am working with folks considering buying farms/businesses.

Send me an PM if you need help.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Cathy

I live in Regina. Have been living here for the past 3 years. If you need any information along the way please contact me. Not sure what relatives you have around the region but if you are thinking of buying a business here and need photographs or an on the ground inspection happy to help

• Like 1