Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • SA Location:Johannesburg
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

Hi All

My partner has lived in the UK, Ireland, and USA in the last 10 years. We want to apply for the FSW Visa in May with me being the main applicant. Do we need to provide a seperate police clearance certificate for all these countries for her? Would it maybe be possible to obtain 1 certificate from Interpol that covers her internationally? Ireland and the UK seems straight forward and provides this facility for people who don't currently reside in their country. BUT ths USA needs this done by the FBI, in person, and it takes forever...

I hope there is someone who has advise on how to overcome this issue; someone who has maybe went through the same thing... any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Herman & Marianne

:unsure:

07/11/2013 : FSW Visa Application sent to Nova Scotia and delivered on 13/11/2013

06/01/2014 : Processing Fee Deducted | 15/01/2014: Visa Fee also Deducted

18/01/2014 : PER - Positive Eligibility Review received via email

28/01/2014 : AOR of Application from Pretoria - Awaiting review by an officer

15/05/2014 : CAIPS file received indicating Canadian thoroughness and that our file is still Pending Review at Pretoria.

07/07/2014 : "We started processing your application on July 7, 2014"

#2 Debrastus

Debrastus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • SA Location:Durban
  • Landed:Aug 2011
  • Language:English
  • Interests:Photography, outdoors

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

From my own experience you will need a Police Clearance from every country you have lived in since the age of 18.  I was born in Zim, lived in SA and Ireland for many years and had to get one from each country.  The Irish one took about 2 weeks (but I was still living there so it got done very quickly) the SA one, I used an agent in Pretoria because I was not living in SA and it took nearly 3 months.  I would not recommend the agent in Pretoria, try and get it done yourself, I think it is pretty straight forward once you have the form.  Can't help you with the UK or USA ones.  Good Luck!

#3 CptCanuck

CptCanuck

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • SA Location:Cape Town
  • Landed:May 2013
  • Language:English/Afrikaans

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Here you go..hope this info helps.

How to obtain a police certificate
United Kingdom (including England, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland)

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes.

How and where do I obtain one?

If you live in the United Kingdom
You must apply through the ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) Criminal Records Office.

The ACPO police certificate contains security features and information on criminal records from databases covering England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

To apply, download the instructions, application form and Frequently Asked Questions at: www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx

The “Standard Service” processing time is 10 working days. For an additional cost, “Premium Service” processing is available in 2 working days.

If you need help with your application, please call the ACPO Criminal Records Office on 0845 6013 999 (between 08:30 and 16:30) Monday to Friday or e–mail acro.policecertificates@acro.pnn.police.uk.

Note: The Data Protection Statement (obtained by Subject Access) is no longer accepted.

If you live outside of the United Kingdom
The same procedures above apply.

For the US see below:

How to obtain a police certificate - United States
Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

Yes, Applicants should provide a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) certificate with fingerprints. State certificates may also be requested. The Visa Office will advise you if state certificates are required in your case.

How and where do I obtain one?

You should:

get a cover letter and fingerprint card from the FBI. You can download these from the FBI website or write to the address below and have them mailed to you.
have fingerprints taken. You can have this done by:
a local police department or
a private fingerprinting business.
(When you have your fingerprints taken, you will need photo identification.)

include a Certified cheque or money order for the fees, payable to the U.S. Treasury
mail the letter, fingerprints and fee payment to:
FBI, Criminal Justice Information Services Division
Attention: SCU, Mod D-2
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306
U.S.A.

Processing times are normally between 16 and 18 weeks. The FBI will send you a letter with the results of their record check. That letter will be your police certificate. You should send the letter and any attached documents to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office processing your file. All police certificates must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted by our office.

Reference: http://www.cic.gc.ca...cert/index.asp, 24 march 2013, 21h22.

#4 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • SA Location:KZN/Pretoria/Table View
  • Landed:Jun 1988

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Hi All

My partner has lived in the UK, Ireland, and USA in the last 10 years. We want to apply for the FSW Visa in May with me being the main applicant. Do we need to provide a seperate police clearance certificate for all these countries for her? Would it maybe be possible to obtain 1 certificate from Interpol that covers her internationally? Ireland and the UK seems straight forward and provides this facility for people who don't currently reside in their country. BUT ths USA needs this done by the FBI, in person, and it takes forever...

I hope there is someone who has advise on how to overcome this issue; someone who has maybe went through the same thing... any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Herman & Marianne

:unsure:

You can get the FBI-clearance by mail. Takes a few weeks but it is easy to organize.

Step-by-step instructions here:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks/submitting-an-identification-record-request-to-the-fbi 

#5 Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • SA Location:KZN/Pretoria/Table View
  • Landed:Jun 1988

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Oh dear - I checked that link and it seems to be "iffy."

Here is the info, but do check the website as there are other sub-links to look at as well:

Submitting an Identification Record Request to the FBI

Step 1: Complete the Applicant Information Form.

• If the request is for a couple, family, etc., all persons must sign the form.
  • Include your complete mailing address. Please provide your telephone number and/or e-mail address, if available.

Step 2: Obtain a set of your fingerprints.

• Provide the original fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted.
  • Your name and date of birth must be provided on the fingerprint card. Fingerprints should be placed on a standard fingerprint form (FD-258)  commonly used for applicant or law enforcement purposes.
  • Include rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints and impressions of all 10 fingerprints taken simultaneously (these are sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions).
  • If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency.
  • To ensure the most legible prints possible, refer to the Recording Legible Fingerprints brochure.

Step 3: Submit payment.

• Option 1: Obtain a money order or cashier’s check for $18 U.S. dollars made payable to the Treasury of the United States. Please be sure to sign where required.
  • Option 2: Pay by credit card using the Credit Card Payment Form. Don’t forget to include the expiration date of the credit card that you are using.
  • Important note: Cash, personal checks, or business checks WILL NOT be accepted.
  • Payment must be for the exact amount.
  • If the request is for a couple, family, etc., include $18 for each person.
  • If the request is for multiple copies per person, include $18 for each copy requested.

Step 4: Review the FBI Identification Record Request Checklist to ensure that you have included everything needed to process your request.

Step 5: Mail the required items listed above—signed applicant information form, fingerprint card, and payment of $18 U.S. dollars for each person or copy requested—to the following address:

FBI CJIS Division – Record Request
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

Note: Although the FBI employs the most efficient methods for processing these requests, processing times may take approximately five to six weeks depending on the volume of requests received.

#6 Herman & Marianne

Herman & Marianne

Bronze Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • SA Location:Johannesburg
  • Language:Afrikaans/English

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hi All,

Thank you very much for the much needed advise.  We've also checked out the CIC website & sent a lot of emailed around.

It comes down to the following:

• USA needed finger prints and payment of $18 (can be done via credit card) - documents sent via DHL - processing time 4-6 weeks ... waiting.
  • Ireland (I love the Irish!!) costed me nothing for the certificate. I emailed through my query, they requested a copy of my passport and after two days they let me know that it was done... I've arranged for DHL to pick it up in Dublin (gladly)... waiting.
  • UK requires payment of 40 pounds either via a bankers draft or swift transfer.  Since the banks I went to struggled to help the first two weeks of my trying to pay, we did a FNB Swift transaction.  They only supply a post box address so I can't use DHL to deliver, I have to trust in the Royal Mail... waiting.

07/11/2013 : FSW Visa Application sent to Nova Scotia and delivered on 13/11/2013

06/01/2014 : Processing Fee Deducted | 15/01/2014: Visa Fee also Deducted

18/01/2014 : PER - Positive Eligibility Review received via email

28/01/2014 : AOR of Application from Pretoria - Awaiting review by an officer

15/05/2014 : CAIPS file received indicating Canadian thoroughness and that our file is still Pending Review at Pretoria.

07/07/2014 : "We started processing your application on July 7, 2014"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users