Sign in to follow this  
MaryJane

And Then There Was Me

What an inspiring story MJ, thank you for sharing! When people ask me what it takes to make a success of immigration, two words come to mind; hard work and determination. Your life story in Canada embodies both. "Hard work begets success"

dallant

Congratulations MJ on your success!God bless you for the rest of your canadian "Journey"?

Edited by dallant
  • Like 1

Linda

Awesome! You clearly have a wonderful talent for communication as your writing is engaging and fun to read, everything we want is on the other side of fear, and clearly you can do this! Thanks for sharing! And good luck as you soldier on, inspirational stuff for those still wondering if they can do this.

• Like 1

Cathy K

Wow! You're a born lemonade maker, regardless of how many lemons are thrown at you. What an inspiring story.

• Like 2

eminembattlez

Brilliant MJ, absolutely brilliant!!! Thanks a ton!

• Like 1

Thanks MJ. You actually just made me think slightly different about a possible opportunity I have when I arrive there.

Congrats on your success.

ryan01

My hair loss is certainly not due to seasonal change but rather ripping it out by the roots in sure frustration :lol:

• Like 2

Tracey22

congratulations! amazing how life takes unexpected twists and turns.

• Like 1

Sybi

Thanks for sharing MJ.

Such an inspiration.

I absolutely agree. Hard work and determination is the key, however at times some days are lonnger than most sometimes makes you think back and ponder "what did I do"....guess this is normal and one had to persevere :)

Edited by Sybi
  • Like 1

MaryJane

1,460 days and counting....Yep, the bean counter in me just won't let me stop counting. :lol:

A short update would be to say that we're still alive and kicking. Hubby and I are still working...yes. Kids are still both in school...yes. Life goes on...yes. 

Can't believe it's been that long. I can still remember the day we landed at Pearson exactly 4 years ago like it was yesterday. Settling in sure has been some journey. In fact, this whole immigration process has been some kind of rollercoaster joyride. It's a wonder I have not barfed.

So aside from celebrating 4 years in Canada, I can appreciate 1,460 days because in my mind, that's how long it took for winter to come to Westeros. I've now started tackling my next joyride, another application project.........le citoyennete (the citizenship) ;) I'm gonna be hanging out the CIC website again. Wonder where all my chommies are? Yo, pre-Juners, where you guys at?

Gathering documents again feel so foreign but it sure is lighting fire under my pants at the moment. The family's joining another waiting timeline, yay? But it will go by fast enough. Before we know it, we'll be hurrying along the citizenship ceremony just in time for season 8 of Game of Thrones.

• Like 9

Lance Macdonald

hi MJ, where in Missisauga are you located?

Nelline

Good on Ya MJ

• Like 1

MaryJane
13 hours ago, Lance Macdonald said:

hi MJ, where in Missisauga are you located?

Square One area.

Wolverine
20 hours ago, MaryJane said:

1,460 days and counting....Yep, the bean counter in me just won't let me stop counting. :lol:

A short update would be to say that we're still alive and kicking. Hubby and I are still working...yes. Kids are still both in school...yes. Life goes on...yes. 

Can't believe it's been that long. I can still remember the day we landed at Pearson exactly 4 years ago like it was yesterday. Settling in sure has been some journey. In fact, this whole immigration process has been some kind of rollercoaster joyride. It's a wonder I have not barfed.

So aside from celebrating 4 years in Canada, I can appreciate 1,460 days because in my mind, that's how long it took for winter to come to Westeros. I've now started tackling my next joyride, another application project.........le citoyennete (the citizenship) ;) I'm gonna be hanging out the CIC website again. Wonder where all my chommies are? Yo, pre-Juners, where you guys at?

Gathering documents again feel so foreign but it sure is lighting fire under my pants at the moment. The family's joining another waiting timeline, yay? But it will go by fast enough. Before we know it, we'll be hurrying along the citizenship ceremony just in time for season 8 of Game of Thrones.

Hi M.J.

I can truly relate to you having just taken the oath yesterday.

How was it?? I'll tell you/

Right on day 1460, i said to myself that i would give it another 10 days just to be on the safe side. So right at day 1470, i sent it my application. The same documents that were sent during the federal application to immigrate here.I had to relocate to the NWT because i had gotten a new job over there a week after day 1470, so i just sent in my application with my AB address.

Two weeks later, the application got sent back to me because my two passports I had sent in (copies of passports, not originals) did not cover the last 6 years (so they thought). So anyway, i sent the 3rd passport that was in my possession to cover the 6 years just to make them happy. 3 weeks later i got the AOR regarding the application; then i went on my profile that was created from the link they sent me, and i changed my address to the NWT address.

two months, no news, so i guessed everything was ok. I was checking my online profile and everything was fine. Dec 1, i receive an email saying our exam would be in two weeks, (Dec 15) and that the oath would be on Dec 16 (yes, the following day). I think it's the advantage of being in a small town.

I started study right away, and started gathering documents again (YES AGAIN), this time they wanted the originals of all the documents i had sent for the citizenship application, plus records of employment (ROE), proof that you own or rent a house, and tax returns since i landed in canada.

The test went ok, got 20/20, i found it a bit tricky, my wife didn't have the same questions, hers were a bit simpler (she said), but we both made it. After the test, we waited outside for everyone else to finish theirs, we were 11 of us, some Zim ladies, one east african and a few asian. When everyone finished, they started calling us one by one, for an "interview". The interview was basically just to check all those documents, health cards, driver's licences, PR cards, they didn't even bother for the ROEs, or proof we own/rent a house, and that's also where they announced us our scores. The whole thing lasted about 5 mn for each of us. Then then gave us our invitation letters for the ceremony the following day. The entire oath ceremony lasted about an hour an a half, this time we were about 19 of us, including kids. A few guys gave a testimony of what it meant for them to become canadian citizens and at the end, we all embraced each other, and wished each other well for our new lives. We were advised to wait for two business days before we could apply for passports, i am sure that timeframe could be longer in bigger cities.

So here we are today, as my signature suggests, about 5 yrs and 8 months since the QSW application, we are now canadians. The end of the process. :cowboy::magic::ilikeit:

• Like 8

Freddy
On 12/16/2016 at 7:38 PM, MaryJane said:

Yes we are here MJ. I was just thinking about that. I will touch base with you soon.

• Like 1

Stefan
On ‎2016‎/‎12‎/‎16 at 8:38 PM, MaryJane said:

It's a wonder I have not barfed... my next joyride, another application project.........le citoyennete (the citizenship) ;) I'm gonna be hanging out the CIC website again. Wonder where all my chommies are? Yo, pre-Juners, where you guys at?

Hey, I work in Square One area too, in the CIBC building.  I'm eligible to apply by Feb next year.  Get the barf bag ready!

• Like 1

Lance Macdonald
12 hours ago, Stefan said:

Hey, I work in Square One area too, in the CIBC building.  I'm eligible to apply by Feb next year.  Get the barf bag ready!

On 12/17/2016 at 10:23 AM, MaryJane said:

Square One area.

Wow, awesome...I live in Meadowvale in Mississauga and work very close to Sq 1. - Sherwoodtowne and Hurontario....close to the BDC building...we should hook up for lunch one day

Edited by Lance Macdonald
fix error
  • Like 2

MaryJane

We landed 5 years ago today. 5 years, guys. Geez... Some days it feels like it was only yesterday. And there are days, like today, when it feels like I’ve been here all along.

• Like 7

Chayne

Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary!

• Like 1

Piper

Nice reading your posts @MaryJane!❤️

• Like 1

MaryJane

Hey, guys, it's been a while.

Work has been happening and life as well...

I see I haven't noted much since 2 years ago. In case we've lost count, this is how 6.25 years in Canada affect you. 

First off, you didn't read it here first. 🙂 But if you totally missed reading it elsewhere on the forums, we were sworn in as Canadian citizens last year. Wonder if Canada really understood the repercussions of that decision? Haha. It was really a big thing for us. It's almost the "we made it" version of climbing Mount Everest, except it's on the ground, Canadian grounds anyway. It's kinda feeling like we've come full circle right?

There was even that window where we were totally undocumented for 2.5 months before we eventually got sworn in and got our new Canadian passports. Okay, I exaggerate. We weren't undocumented. Our PR cards validity expired after we wrote the citizenship test, but before we could be sworn in. So we sat with no Canadian status (implied status, does that apply to us?) for that time. We were still South Africans, so there was that. (P.S. don't worry. I knew what we were getting into. The risks of not having a valid PR card is very real, I tell you. Very, very real. 🙄)

So what do we do with our new travel docs when we get them? We head East and visit China. Yep. It's been on the bucket list for years. The funny thing is that getting a passport that needed no visas to travel to 170 destinations did not really deter us from booking a trip to a country where we actually needed a visa to get in. Perhaps I've just gotten used to getting visas to go anywhere. Great trip and can't wait to do more. The language barrier in China was really crazy. I had to brush up on my Mandarin. Luckily I could say "Is this pork? Is this chicken? Is this beef?" LOL. Always good skills to have around when it's chow time. 

No story is complete without talking about work. It's been a busy time. In fact, busy hasn't stopped since I got this job. You can blame the job if my forum habits have been more erratic than norm. Last year was especially stressful. Company decided to go public so here we come TSX..... Finance professional in a listed company, need I say more? 😫

And hey, I finally have a graduate at home. My eldest finished university late last year. And to top it all, she's found a job after 4 weeks' hunting. Here I thought I was going to be anxious and worrying for the next 6 months just because the market is what it is and I have a millennial on the way. In 2 years time, I've got a Gen Z going through post-secondary. I'm definitely feeling old these days. Is it alright to start screaming for the fire trucks now?

So as a parting comment for this post, I just want to stress that all is still good. Can't say I haven't been on the forums as much, because I still visit most of everyday. Yes, I still "see" what you guys are doing. Did the atmosphere suddenly just become stalker-ish a bit there? Don't worry, big sister is watching.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1