Sign in to follow this  
Nelline

Kindergarten in Ottawa / Ontario vs Gatineau / Quebec /

Nelline

We have quite a few life changing decisions to make and I know things will become clearer once we land. Does anyone have any information on what hours of schooling my 4 year old will qualify for on either sife of the border? We land with a WP (Jakes) and Open WP (me). Will Little Man need to apply for a Study Permit when he starts "proper" school, and what age is Grade 1?

Edited by Nelline

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

We have quite a few life changing decisions to make and I know things will become clearer once we land. Does anyone have any information on what hours of schooling my 4 year old will qualify for on either sife of the border? We land with a WP (Jakes) and Open WP (me). Will Little Man need to apply for a Study Permit when he starts "proper" school, and what age is Grade 1?

Not quite sure what you mean by "either side of the border?"

Are you going to be close to US border on the Canadian side?

Yes, your son will need a study permit when he goes into 1st grade if you are on a WP.

It's not hard to get it arranged though.

Minor children – Study in Canada

Minor children must apply for a study permit if they want to study in Canada.

Who is a minor child?

In Canada, each province and territory decides the age when a person is considered to be an adult. This is known as the age of majority. A person under the age of majority is considered to be a “minor child.”

(See on website: age of majority is either 18 or 19, depending on what province you are in.)

Length of time a study permit is valid

For minor children in grades 1 through 8:

• the study permit is normally valid for one year.
For minor children in grades 9 through 12, or attending a post-secondary institution:
  • the study permit is normally valid for the length of time of studies, plus 90 days.

For minor children studying in Quebec:

• the study permit is valid for the same length of time as their CAQ.
If a minor child is with parents who have long-term study or work permits, the child’s study permit should be valid for the same length of time as:
  • the parents’ permits;
  • the child’s passport if it expires before the parents’ permits; or
  • the CAQ, if studying in Quebec.

Exceptions: Studying without a study permit

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

• minor children attending kindergarten;
  • minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
  • minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school.

When minor children studying in Canada without a permit reach the age of majority (turn 18 or 19 depending on the province or territory), they must apply for a permit if they want to continue studying.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp

• Like 1

Trevor&Anelle

Ingrid, I think she means the Quebec/Ontario border.:)

Nelline, I think you will need to find out if you will be able to let your little guy attend school in Ontario if you live in Quebec. I think you have to use the school system of the province you live in, but I'm not 100% sure.

BUT I also think that because Jakes will be working in Ontario that might come into play as well?

Edited by Trevor&Anelle

Nelline

I'll be working in Gatineau, we'll have to decide where we end up living later on.

Jakes

Trevor&Anelle

Oops, Sorry! For some reason I thought you would be working in Ottawa!

Ingrid, I think she means the Quebec/Ontario border.:)

Aha! Thank you.

Here, when we talk 'border,' it's the US.smile.gif

Nelline

Aha! Thank you.

Here, when we talk 'border,' it's the US.smile.gif

Next time I'll call it the "provincial border" - is that correct? :blink::P

Nelline

Yes Jakes' job is on the Gatineau side but we are still ummm-ing and aaaaaah-ing over whether to live on the Ontario or Quebec side. Both have pro's and cons. We will probably only decide once Jakes is actualy there (he is renting a furnished apartment to start with). Whichever side it is we will rent initially (at least 1 year), so a move from one to the other side in the short term is quite feasible.

rockwooder

Neline, I think when you're in Quebec your little one will have to go to a French school while not necessarily in Ontario. But being so young I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem just an asset. When we came over our kids were going into high school and we didn't want to put them through a French system. I know they would have picked it up but it might have put them a year or two back. Have not regretted it.

Next time I'll call it the "provincial border" - is that correct? :blink::P

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

An estimated 75% of Canadians live within about 160 km from the US border.

In the seven + years we have been here, we have always lived a mere 10-15 mins' drive from a US border-crossing.

Even here in Ladner, BC we are about 15 mins or so from the Tsawwassen-border over to Point Roberts, WA. which is a silly piece of land, in my opinion, given to America in 1846 when the Oregon Treaty extended the boundary between American and British territory from the Rocky Mountains to Georgia Strait. This means Pt.Roberts is part of the USA mainland, but it is not connected to is. In fact, you have to travel through Canada to get to it.

Tracey22

I heard somewhere, and I can definitely be corrected, that if you are an immigrant in Quebec, your children have to attend a french speaking school. The school you attend is determined by your residential address. My sister lives in Ottawa, and the school board there is NOT KEEN on school transfers.

Nelline

Whilst his parents are on a WP he would have the option to go to an English school, however once we have PR he would have to transfer to French (if we lived on the Quebec side).

Tracey22

something that should be understood about Canada is that each province is their own little state within Canada. the provincial laws can (in some circumstances) dominate over federal laws. So as an example, there is federal law governing consumers, and each province can have their own provincial laws. So choosing a rovince in which you live is important. factors to consider for choosing a province includes HST/GST, incoime tax, school boards, healthcare etc. all these vary greatly between all the provinces.

• Like 1