Sign in to follow this  
Tracey3511

Citizenship Application Timeline

Tracey3511

We submitted our citizenship application in July and haven't yet received a letter of acknowledgement. I sent it by courier services and the tracking says it was received and signed for. I know the CIC website says it takes time between receiving it and opening it, but six months seems a bit long. Has anyone else experienced this kind of wait time before? I'm trying to determine whether I should phone them or just keep waiting..

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Check your application status

The check your application status tool allows some CIC clients to securely view the status of their immigration and/or citizenship application(s) online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; anytime, anywhere.

The electronic Client Application Status tool is available for the application you have applied for.

Before using this service, please be sure to have a copy of all the documents you have received regarding your application(s):

These may include one or more of the following:

• a copy of your application;
  • your financial receipts (IMM 5401); or
  • any letter or official document issued to you by CIC.
Note that the Client Application Status tool is updated weekly, usually on Tuesdays.
You can also check the processing times to find out how long it normally takes to process a Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) application.
You may also visit the help centre for additional information on application status.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/status.asp?s=81
How can I update or ask about an application in progress?
If your application is already in progress, use the Client Application Status (CAS) service. This online service allows you to view the status of your immigration and/or citizenship application online.
You can also use the Case Specific Enquiry link on the website for the visa office if:
  • you wish to report important changes regarding your application, such as
    • births,
    • deaths,
    • marriages,
    • divorces,
    • adoptions,
    • changes in address,
    • changes in employment,
    • acquisition of a new educational credential or
    • results of an approved language test;

[*]you are seeking information that is not available via the Client Application Status service; or[*]the processing of your application is taking longer than the normal processing time (you will not get an answer if the normal processing time has not yet elapsed). http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=52&t=3

Processing Times: Grant of Citizenship

From receipt of your application to citizenship ceremony

Total processing time

21 months

Status available online<br style="text-align: center; ">

(once you receive your acknowledgment letter)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp

smile.gifAs you have not received the letter of acknowledgment yet, there seems to be no harm in contacting the Call Centre.

They could at least tell you if the application has been opened or not. I have found the folks at the Call centre very helpful whenever I have called.

All the best!smile.gif

CIC Call Centre Services

The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada.

Call Centre telephone number: 1-888-242‑2100

• Automated telephone service (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
    If you have a touch-tone telephone, you can listen to prerecorded information about CIC programs, order application kits, and check the status of your application.
  • Call Centre agents - Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., your local time, except for statutory holidays.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/call.asp

annied

I am nowhere near the citizen application stage yet, but suddenly I am confused

We would have to have spent 1095 days in canada before applying for citizenship, but it can take 21 months after applying. So then my days would be increasing all the time, could one apply a bit sooner seeing that about 600 more days pass whilst the process is in progress

Just taking a chance...

Guest AdamC

I am nowhere near the citizen application stage yet, but suddenly I am confused

We would have to have spent 1095 days in canada before applying for citizenship, but it can take 21 months after applying. So then my days would be increasing all the time, could one apply a bit sooner seeing that about 600 more days pass whilst the process is in progress

Just taking a chance...

Hey Annie

No chance of that (although worth asking and taking a shot). I am not eligible for citizenship yet however, with PR I am hardly in a rush as there is very little difference between the two if you plan to stay within Canada.

Another point to note (and something that affects my application as I have been in Canada well over the days requirement) is that you are unable to file an application until you have been a PR for two years- this is non-negotiable as far as I can tell

There is a really useful calculator tool on the CIC website - which I also notice has been redesigned.

https://eservicesak.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?〈=en

The calculator is VERY user friendly...and will give you a good idea of when you can apply.

Adam

• Like 1

kodacat

My mom submitted her application for citizenship early in September 2012 and received a letter of acknowledgment dated 15 November 2012. She is 76 and will not need to do the test (not sure if that affects the timeline at all) and she paid her fees in full.

Edited by kodacat

Ronel

We send in our application for Citizenship Oct 9, 2012 and received the acknowledgement letter + study guide Dec 4, 2012

Tanya-Lisa

HI, our timeline is as follows for grant of citizenship:

5 Dec 2011, submitted application for citizenship to Sydney NS.

5 Jan 2012, letter of acknowledgement received.

Feb 18, CIC website states - "we have started processing your application.

July 2012, letter to appear to write citizenship test.

Oct 26, 2012, wrote test.

As of today -no feedback from test, still waiting for results and date for Citizenship Oath.

So far, total application processing time: 13 months. Expected processing time frame - 21 months.

Potential delays - as far as I understand EVERYONE WHO WROTE A TEST AFTER OCTOBER 2012, is being given a residence questionnaire to complete and submit within 45 days of writing the test.

It is a monster document to complete, including all supporting docs!

Hope this helps.

Tanya

• Like 1

Tracey3511

Thanks everyone. So in other words it's completely unpredictable! Well, turns out the day after I posted this we received our booklet and letter of acknowledgement, so I can now check online and see where we're at. It's true - if you have PR it probably doesn't matter, but we would like to get the Canadian passport and be sure nothing can change..

• Like 1

hofty

HI, our timeline is as follows for grant of citizenship:

5 Dec 2011, submitted application for citizenship to Sydney NS.

5 Jan 2012, letter of acknowledgement received.

Feb 18, CIC website states - "we have started processing your application.

July 2012, letter to appear to write citizenship test.

Oct 26, 2012, wrote test.

As of today -no feedback from test, still waiting for results and date for Citizenship Oath.

So far, total application processing time: 13 months. Expected processing time frame - 21 months.

Potential delays - as far as I understand EVERYONE WHO WROTE A TEST AFTER OCTOBER 2012, is being given a residence questionnaire to complete and submit within 45 days of writing the test.

It is a monster document to complete, including all supporting docs!

Hope this helps.

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

I wrote a very similar question the other day about the whole timeline. I can refer back to it; but for simplicity is that I submitted my documents and they were received 2 April 2012. I noticed that only on 18 December they listed that my documents were now being processed. So I take that as 8 1/2 months.

I have been waiting in anticipation and checking the website frequently (or mainly every Tuesday evening, as apparently they update once a week - But I stand to be corrected). We are now only on 19 January 2013, so it has only been one month, less statutory holidays, so I guess it is unpredicatable at best. I am looking forward to receiving a confirmation date to write the citizenship test, but I hear from others who have done that; that there is a gruelling process with immigration officer going through passport and perusing the days in/out of Canada. I have a logbook which to my knowledge is fairly accurate, but that is always a concerning matter.

Thanks for your information, puts me at some ease.

Regards

Ryan

Tanya-Lisa

HI, an update on the citizenship test, grant of citizenship/oath ceremony and residence questionnaires:

I have just had a call with CIC to ask about the status of our citizenship application (submitted 5 Dec 2011) - you will see my earlier post (2 Jan) re the provision of a residence questionnaire.

This is what I learnt today from a very helpful and very apologetic gentleman, who I suspect is receiving many of the same call...:

1. Residence questionnaires are now being given out at the SOLE DISCRETION of the immigration officer at the office where you present yourself for your citizenship test.

2. This means they are NOT ONLY BEING GIVEN TO HIGH RISK APPLICANTS, but are being handed out purely at his/her discretion.

3. There is no way of knowing why some offices are giving all test writers a questionnaire and some others are not.

4. Residence questionnaires - and he confirmed this now - are being processed with a A REVIEW TIMEFRAME OF 12-48 MONTHS.

5. Most offices are reporting a review time of 48 months. This has been communicated to them by the powers that be at CIC.

In our case - test written on 26 Sept 2012 at Hamilton office.

Announcement made at the test that we would likely be called to an oath ceremony within 6-8 weeks and all were asked to fill in a form with any dates before the end of 2012 that we would not be available for a ceremony, due to vacation etc.

Today it is 17 weeks since the test.

At this test - EVERYONE was given a questionnaire - again, sole discretion of an immigration official who has never seen you before and has no idea of who or what you have done to integrate into Canadian society.

I learnt that our res q. package with citizenship app. has now been forwarded from Hamilton to the St. Clair office (Toronto central).

There is no way to determine whether it has just been delivered or whether it is already actively being processed - hence no way of knowing when the 48 months of review time will actually begin.

Overall, this means, that we may wait for up to 9 years in total to receive confirmation of our Canadian citizenship.

Does anyone else find this totally unacceptable? What can/should we do?

• Like 1

Dedré

Tanya-Lisa, I find it unacceptable too, but have no idea what to do about it.

I don't get your 9 year calculation though.

Since Dec 2011 till now is about a year (which should be a bit less because you wrote Sept 2012).

Add the 17 weeks = 4 months 1 week.

Then add the 24 months it all comes to about 3.25 years...

Sorry I'm a bit doff man...

Tanya-Lisa

+ 5 years we have already been here...

Arrival 2008, to Dec 2011 when applied = nearly 4 years in residence

Dec 2011- today = 13 months = 5 years

add 12-48 months more, closer to 48, as per CIC

= 5 = max 4 more years...

Dedré

Oh, I get it now. I was only counting our application years for Citizenship as of application date. I didn't feel qualification years can be counted since people come and go to and from SA and some arrive first on WP and others directly on PR and so on...

kodacat

My mom submitted her application for citizenship early in September 2012 and received a letter of acknowledgment dated 15 November 2012. She is 76 and will not need to do the test (not sure if that affects the timeline at all) and she paid her fees in full.

Update - my mom received a letter to appear for an interview and verification of original documents in the first week of January 2014.

kodacat

My mom's interview went well. Now she has to wait 3-5 months for notification of citizenship ceremony. Up to this point it has been 16 months since submission.

• Like 1

Guest AdamC

Hey all

So an update for those interested in the waiting times on Canadian citizenship applications...

I finally received my letter of acknowledgment from CIC - a relief knowing that I am actually formally confirmed as being "in process".

CIC states:

My application was received on September 20, 2013

It adds that it sent me a letter of acknowledgement on the same day (I doubt this - as the letter only arrived on January 15, 2014)

My case was opened for processing on January 7, 2014

According to currently listed wait times - if my case is a straightforward one - it should take approximately 25 months to process. Assuming this is the case (touch wood), I am hoping to obtain citizenship around February 2016.

An English friend of mine recently received his citizenship and his wait time was almost exactly 2 years after he received his letter of acknowledgment - so I believe these times are accurate.

Edited by AdamC

analytical

Hi all, here is our timeline - hopefully encouraging to those waiting - total time was 14 months.

Applied: November 2012

Received acknowledgement and Discover Canada Guide: February 2013

Wrote Citizenship Test: December 2013

Oath Ceremony: February 2014

We were not asked to complete a Residency Questionnaire. The Citizenship Test was straightforward and we both got 100% after reading through the guide and practicing the online tests. One note though - I travel a lot for business and they checked all the stamps in my passport against the days I claimed so make sure you keep an accurate record of travel. For the past two years Ive been using Nexus and so do not have any stamps but kept a record of my boarding passes.

• Like 1

Sean-Tienie

Thanks for the tip re travel. Up until the end of last year I travelled a lot to. Documented all my "Days out of the country" and when I left their employ they gave me a letter to verify those travel dates.

We can apply in less then 6 months although not sure if the new rules will affect that.

Folk, quick update on our application for Canadian Citizenship.

Applied May 2013

Started Processing July 2013

Notification to write Citizenship Test received January 2014

Citizenship Test Date end February 2014

Best Wishes to All that are busy with their Citizenship application!

Guest AdamC

Cheers for the update Lawrence - seems that lately the process has become a touch more streamlined and quicker.

I applied back in September 2013 - hoping that things run ahead schedule for me too.

kodacat

My mom's interview went well. Now she has to wait 3-5 months for notification of citizenship ceremony. Up to this point it has been 16 months since submission.

Update - my mom's citizenship ceremony will be in the first week of March 2014 - approx. 18 months from start to finish.

• Like 1

Tracey22

Posting my application off tomorrow - fees have skyrocketed. We had to pay $1,000 for the family's application for citizenship.

Sean-Tienie

We not far behind you. Will need to start putting some $$$ away.

Folk, quick update on our application for Canadian Citizenship.

Applied May 2013

Started Processing July 2013

Notification to write Citizenship Test received January 2014

Citizenship Test Date end February 2014

Best Wishes to All that are busy with their Citizenship application!

Our almost 10 year journey that started in 2004 will finally end on March 04, 2014! Wrote our citizenship test today, passed and were immediately issued with our notification to attend our citizenship ceremony on March 04.

What a great feeling!!

Sean-Tienie

Congratulations!