Sign in to follow this  
Makou

Real Estate Agent

Makou

We are moving to Calgary at the end of October.

I would like to know if there is any South Africans on this forum, that work in the Real Estate market in Calgary.

If so please send me your contact information. We would like to support our fellow South Africans abroad.

We are planning to visit Calgary in two weeks times to look at houses etc.

Thanks

Smallbee

Hello and welcome to the Forum Makou!

In our short time here in Calgary we have been introduced to JC van der Walt, a fully licensed Real Estate Agent with Realty Executives Apex in Calgary. He knows Calgary very well and we found him to be very caring and helpful.

His website address is:

http://www.jc-executivehomes.com

All the best with your move to Calgary!

Paul & Debbie

• Like 1

Jules

A word of advice to any new arrival family looking for a realtor: if you feel that you need to use an ex SAn realtor in Canada make sure that the realtor has been working in Canada for a LONG TIME so that they really understand the Canadian market.

A very experienced SA realtor (who gained all their experience in SA) has no advantage in Canada because the systems are 180 degrees different. So make sure the realtor has enough experience here in Canada. You don't want the blind leading the blind.

Makou

Hello and welcome to the Forum Makou!

In our short time here in Calgary we have been introduced to JC van der Walt, a fully licensed Real Estate Agent with Realty Executives Apex in Calgary. He knows Calgary very well and we found him to be very caring and helpful.

His website address is:

http://www.jc-executivehomes.com

All the best with your move to Calgary!

Paul & Debbie

Debbie

Baie dankie vir die inligting. Ek gaan 'n e-pos vir die agentskap stuur om reelings te begin tref.

Yvette

Smallbee

A word of advice to any new arrival family looking for a realtor: if you feel that you need to use an ex SAn realtor in Canada make sure that the realtor has been working in Canada for a LONG TIME so that they really understand the Canadian market.

A very experienced SA realtor (who gained all their experience in SA) has no advantage in Canada because the systems are 180 degrees different. So make sure the realtor has enough experience here in Canada. You don't want the blind leading the blind.

If you take the time to read his website and resume, you would see that he is a "Fully licensed full-time Alberta real estate agent, in good standing with all boards and associations in Canada since April 2003. Successfully represent and assist buyers and sellers to buy new and resale homes. Work with relocation companies to successfully relocate buyers and sellers. Annually attend educational courses and accreditations to provide client with excellent services. Utilize social media and networking techniques to market listings and obtain prospects. Manage residential investment rental properties." His qualifications, courses and seminars, membership and associations as well as references are all listed on his website for your review.

In addition, he survived the 2008 financial slump unlike many other realtors. He understands the SA way of thinking as well as the Canadian market, rules and regulations.

We have personally met JC and found him professional, genuine and knowledgeable.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Smallbee

Debbie

Baie dankie vir die inligting. Ek gaan 'n e-pos vir die agentskap stuur om reelings te begin tref.

Yvette

Julle is baie welkom, Yvette! Ons is seker julle sal 'n waardevolle besigheidsverhouding hê.

Groete,

Debbie

• Like 1

Jules

Smallbee, just to avoid any misunderstanding, my prior post wasnt meant as a counter to the specific realtor you were recommending. Sounds like your realtor is very experienced.

I was just giving general advice to any newcomer (coast to coast) when they look for a realtor not to make the mistake of just seeking a SAn realtor. Worst case scenario is when a new arrival starts working as a realtor and tries to get business by appealing to other SAns... Blind leading the blind.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Garreth

Smallbee, just to avoid any misunderstanding, my prior post wasnt meant as a counter to the specific realtor you were recommending. Sounds like your realtor is very experienced.

I was just giving general advice to any newcomer (coast to coast) when they look for a realtor not to make the mistake of just seeking a SAn realtor. Worst case scenario is when a new arrival starts working as a realtor and tries to get business by appealing to other SAns... Blind leading the blind.

Bit ridiculous they way you were jumped on Jules. Your reply is more diplomatic that I would have been (maybe you're too Canadian eh? :D )

While it is nice to work with ex-SA professionals here, it is actually quite pointless. Just because they are from SA is no guarantee that they are good (or bad), rather find someone you like working with regardless of where they are from. We had a great Canadian realtor who was simple wonderful. My doctor is originally Romanian and is excellent, etc. etc.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Smallbee

Bit ridiculous they way you were jumped on Jules.

Just because they are from SA is no guarantee that they are good (or bad), rather find someone you like working with regardless of where they are from.

Ag Garreth, that's your perception!

Likewise, just because they are Canadian realtors doesn't guarantee that they are good (or bad) too!

Makou was asking for a SA realtor in Calgary, and I answered them.

While it is nice to work with ex-SA professionals here, it is actually quite pointless.

To the contrary, I think Makou's decision to support their fellow South African is admirable.

Edited by Smallbee
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Dedré

Yip, I was the same. I thought everyone SAcan coming and able to come to Canada are the cream of society and are wonderful nice people. I had a really hard lesson to learn. Like in SA, be cautious who you make friends with. Rather have an attitude of making quality friends than SAcan friends.

I don't know this realtor and am not hinting that they are bad people. I am just supporting Garreth's statement.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Hendie

Folks, the arguments on both sides of the situation "Doing business with ex-SA business people in Canada" has merit. While it is exemplary to want to support fellow South Africans when doing business here in Canada, it is also VERY important to make sure of the reputation and credentials of whomever you decide to enter into business with. There are excellent professionals from all different nationalities here in Canada, that is just the nature of this society - everyone is given a shot at making a living for themselves. However, the immigration process is not foolproof, and from personal experience, some less than desirable folks have also made it into our new country. So it is ever an issue of Caveat Emptor, buyer beware!

I know JC personally, and although I have not done business with him, I hear from his clients that they are without fail all very satisfied with his service. You can reach him through the forum as well: JCVDW.

• Like 2