Sign in to follow this  
Stefan

How's Long Harbour, Nfld?

Stefan

Hi there, are the Saffers in Nfld still online?

I hope the summer's warming up nicely over there.

I'm curious about Newfoundland, because I applied for a position - internal posting with my employer - at a new plant being built at Long Harbour.

The main reason is that I'm looking for a career challenge and in order to move out of the city - greater Toronto area is too built up for us, we love the outdoors (hike, ski & paddle). And the dialect doesn't scare me :)

It's about 1 and a half hours from St John's and I heard it's pretty rural - which means we'll get our outdoor fix, but... I don't have a good picture of what it's like without visiting or hearing from those who know. Especially concerned about the schools, since I'll have young school-age kids by that point.

So, what's it like, got any tips?

Much appreciated.

Stefan

Trevor&Anelle

Stefan, this is a totally unhelpful response, but I'll make it anyway! I know nothing about Newfoundland (except from watching Republic of Doyle, LOL!) but every single Newfie I've met I have gotten on with really well! I love their candor and their sense of humour!

Guest Barbara

I am also not much help but my best friend is from Nfl and her family are wonderful people. Down to earth and great. The photos I have seen are amazing.

Dedré

Not to mention all the meat pies you will be able to buy there... and polony. MMMMMmmmmm. We don't get that stuff here in Albera. Only at Cora's you can get polony.

dlam

Stefan email Liz in Halifax. As far as I can remember she was in contact with the Namibian couple that lives/lived in Nfld. She might be able to put you in contact with them.

rothol

Stefan, my inlaws stay in St Johns and they from namibia

Anyway gimme a shout if you want me to hook you up

Stefan

Ja, I know a handful of folks from Newfoundland and they are supernice, helpful and they tell the best Newfie jokes! If I remember one, I will try to post it... tactfully.

I'm thinking I should Look, See & Decide.

Cheers,

Stefan