Sign in to follow this  
Jeanne

TV / Internet / home phone packages

Jeanne

We would like to know what is your experience regarding ISP's for example Bell, Rogers, TELUS etc. in Oakville ON. We Googled and compared different companies but would like to get some input from local residents.

Jules

I have one word to summarize what Ontario is: oligopoly.

If one of them is running a promotion then take it.

QRM

Choose SHAW if you don't want to be tied to a contract, content, speed all satisfactory however customer service not always the best (long call waiting times on support calls however your not billed for the waiting for someone to answer )

Edit :whoops I'm from Vancouver your looking for local feedback...

Edited by linton

Garreth

Since you asked about Oakville specifically.

We currently have home phone through Bell and TV and Internet through Cogeco. Home phone was originally with Bell and i just haven't had the energy to cancel, personally with cellphones I don't see the point of a home phone, but the other half wants it so it stays,

Looking at the two companies, they are all pretty much of a same/same situation except that Bell TV will either be satellite or fibre optic, Cogeco is cable.

Home phone wise, they are the same tech wise, but as Jules said just see who might have a better special at the moment. Bundling does save a few $$$.

TV wise, I had bell, but switched to Cogeco, in bad weather my cable is unaffected whereas satellite can be iffy (albeit rarely). TV channel wise, you'll have the same selection available on both really.

Internet wise I got a much better deal from Cogeco as regards speed and data cap (I use Ultimate 30). Bell at the time was through the phone line, but I think their Fibe system is now available, if I'm correct on a deal for deal basis they are a little more expensive than Cogeco.

In my dealings with both companies I have found Cogeco to be a bit more organised and able to sort out issues quicker. They are a little more locally focussed than Bell which seems to help their service (based on Oakville/Burlington border).

Pretty much you will be OK with either provider. Their web sites are very detailed and you should be able to get a costing done on all that you want service wise to compare the two. If there's anything else you need, just ask.

• Like 1

Jeanne

Since you asked about Oakville specifically.

We currently have home phone through Bell and TV and Internet through Cogeco. Home phone was originally with Bell and i just haven't had the energy to cancel, personally with cellphones I don't see the point of a home phone, but the other half wants it so it stays,

Looking at the two companies, they are all pretty much of a same/same situation except that Bell TV will either be satellite or fibre optic, Cogeco is cable.

Home phone wise, they are the same tech wise, but as Jules said just see who might have a better special at the moment. Bundling does save a few $$$.

TV wise, I had bell, but switched to Cogeco, in bad weather my cable is unaffected whereas satellite can be iffy (albeit rarely). TV channel wise, you'll have the same selection available on both really.

Internet wise I got a much better deal from Cogeco as regards speed and data cap (I use Ultimate 30). Bell at the time was through the phone line, but I think their Fibe system is now available, if I'm correct on a deal for deal basis they are a little more expensive than Cogeco.

In my dealings with both companies I have found Cogeco to be a bit more organised and able to sort out issues quicker. They are a little more locally focussed than Bell which seems to help their service (based on Oakville/Burlington border).

Pretty much you will be OK with either provider. Their web sites are very detailed and you should be able to get a costing done on all that you want service wise to compare the two. If there's anything else you need, just ask.

Once again thank you for your input Garreth, we appreciate your friendly advice!

Edited by jeanne

Merv

We use Cogeco for internet and TV, and Vonage (voip service) for phone, combination works great. WIth Vonage, all local, North America and UK calls are included (amongs others too)

Jules

On the satellite and cable tv debate that many people have:

Cable has the advantage of not being impacted by bad weather (satellite dishes are impacted by heavy snow and thunderstorms). Cable also offers better "on-demand" tv where you can instantly view shows you missed. Satellite wins hands down though with HD picture quality. Bell is the only provider able to offer 1080p on some channels.

If HD picture quality is most important get Bell TV. If weather reliability and on-demand is important get Rogers or Cogeco cable (although PVR satellite receivers negate the need for an on demand channel and Bell does offer free ondemand via Internet channels).

Play around with bundle prices and you will see they all charge the same!

Edited by Jules