Sign in to follow this  
cliveza

Boerewors and Biltong

cliveza

In the last month I have tried 3 different places in the GTA that sell boerewors and the best by far is from Eat Sum More http://www.eatsummore.com/. Thats my qualified opinion wink.gif

Tracey22

I love the fact that there is opporunity to debate this topic in a foreign city - a lot to choose from:

I prefer the boeries from Sedo Snacks and the biltong from Eat Sum Mor, but I do like the biltong from Memories of Africa as well. Only problem is that they are a bit out of my way!

cliveza

Sedo's meat comes from Florence Meats and I found this to be very under spiced, tasted like nothing to myself and my wife. Admittedly I havent tried Memories of Africa yet and I will have to make a trip up there to go a have look-see, hopefully they dont get there biltong and boerewors from the same place as Sedo.

My wife also found boerwors at a butcher at St Lawrence Market, but this was just a plain old beef sausage in disguise, also tasteless.

My quest continues cool.gif

Jules

I love the fact that there is opporunity to debate this topic in a foreign city - a lot to choose from:

I prefer the boeries from Sedo Snacks and the biltong from Eat Sum Mor, but I do like the biltong from Memories of Africa as well. Only problem is that they are a bit out of my way!

Which one is the furthest west of Toronto? We are west of Burlington and hate driving to Toronto.

cliveza

• Florence Meats- Oakville,
  • Sedo Snax - Thornhill
  • Eat Sum More are in Thornhill
  • Memories of Africa - North York
  • Sausage King - St Lawrence Market

Here is a google map of all the places I know of so far

I guess your best bet is Florence Meats?

Edited by cliveza

rockwooder

Droewors from Eat Sum More, very nice. Then boerewors in Kingston excellent.

Jules

Sausage King - St Lawrence Market? I work downtown Toronto (use the GO train in) so I could easily pop down to St Lawrence Market during lunch. Is their boerewors any good?

cliveza

Sausage King - St Lawrence Market? I work downtown Toronto (use the GO train in) so I could easily pop down to St Lawrence Market during lunch. Is their boerewors any good?

No, I didn't like it, it was missing the much needed vet that gives all the flavour

cliveza

I finally gave up on the local boerewors providers and bit a very expensive bullet. I decided we were going to try our hand at making our own boerewors, especially now that summer is nealy upon and my braai has been itching to see some use. What follows is the tale of two grinders, one sausage.

The first, a cheap LEM counter top grinder, was used to mince the sausage meat and grind chicken bones for our cats. This one failed the first time we used it, probably a burnt out motor. It wasn't even taking strain, expect for an occasional moan when it bit on a chunky piece of bone. I believe I had it on for to long. It was one day old and saw 30 minutes of use.

The second grinder involved renting a spur-of-the-moment-zipcar and driving to Bass Pro Shop to buy a much larger and more expensive (four time the price of the first one) grinder just to finish off the cat food and stuff our sausages. This grinder, a LEM #22, destroys chicken bone by the way and has a auto shut-off if it gets to hot, has an electrical issue or come under a heavy load. It's well worth the extra money and I only whish I had bought this one first.

Earlier in the day I managed to get sausage casing and meat at the butchers counter at Fiesta Farms. When I asked the guy at the counter for spek, I got a blank stare. I then asked for for pork fat. They didn't have any, so I bought pork belly instead and cut the skin off. It tasted OK. I used coriander seed (toasted and ground) and ground nutmeg, cloves and allspice, It was a little dry to be honest and I think it needed more fat. I thought I estimated the fat quantity correctly, next time I'll use double the pork belly and see what happens.

I also want to try one without pork, I’ve never been a big fan of pork and will eventually try with lamb or mutton. Once I get the recipe the way I want it I expect that I will quadruple or octuble my quantities, I mean, now that I have this bone-crushing-one-horsepowered-monster-of-a-grinder, I might as well put it to good use.

If anyone has any fool-proof recipes please send them on. And if you want to try your hand at boerewors making, then it BYOM at my place, however I take no responsibility of it ends up tasting like a POBS (plain old beef sausage) and I charge in boerewors samples ;)

Edited by cliveza

Merv
cliveza

I think, and I'm no expert here, that either will be fine if your just mincing meat. In my case I needed to do chicken bones and 0.75HP is the lower limit for this, 1HP or more is better.

If I were buying a grinder again would look for a few things

1. Automatic shut-off
  2. No plastic gears.
  3. Availability of parts (Although most can be order online)
  4. Neck size, you may want to put bigger chunks of meat in
  5. Noise, the first grinder I bought was very very loud. The second wasn't exactly whisper quiet but it was quiet enough that I could have a conversation while using it. I think the first either had a I different type of motor or one with a high RPM.

Gavin Mac

If you guys want to save yourself some time and money, give this a try. I'm sure many of you do.

We make our own Boerie, Biltong and droe wors where we use the most convenient method.

For the Boerie, we buy the pre-packed mince at Costco. We use Freddy Hirsch (Plaaswors) or now known as "Farmstyle" seasoning which we get from our visitors when they come over. A 1.1 kg packet makes about 33kg of wors. My brother knows a guy in BC who imports it as well at a very reasonable price +- $12/pkt.

We use natural sausage casings that we get at Taggert Farms just off Winston Churchill and Steele's in Mississauga, but you can get this anywhere as well. All you will need is the machine. it works out to less than $10.00/kg.

We doe the same for the droe wors, but we have to use the thinner synthetic casing that we get at Bass Pro Shop in Vaughan. Once the droe wors is dry, we just peel off the casing, but it is edible.

Costco has the cheapest cuts of AAA meat for Biltong. If you want to come for a drink, I'll put a few testers on the Weber for you to try it out.

Florence meats has better Biltong than some of the butchers/shops in SA.

• Like 1

Jules

I think going to try making my own boerie this summer.

Need to start checking prices of sausage stuffers.

Cathy K

Out of Africa trading in Richmond sells boerewors spice. Check out their website' they deliver.

http://www.outofafricatrading.com/42-spices

Said

picking up on this after a long time.

For the grinder, check out basspro - they have a huge lineup. i got one from Walmart.ca - online, type in heavy duty meat grinder.  It is Weston brand and i have had no negatives.  Works well.

For mince, i do the following, get regular mince which has higher fat content, then add lean meat mince via grinder 1:1 ratio.  For spices, i tend to mix up mine, add turkish kebab spice mix instead of freddie hirsh if you dont have (you can find this ulker brand at any halal butcher place), coriander powder, black pepper, garlic powder, peri-peri (I grow it at home, any one want seeds - send me msg will post it out).  I got cattle casing from a halal butcher.

Around 15kgs in one shot.

SunshineGirl
On 2014/04/28 at 1:36 AM, cliveza said:

The first, a cheap LEM counter top grinder, was used to mince the sausage meat and grind chicken bones for our cats. This one failed the first time we used it, probably a burnt out motor. It wasn't even taking strain, expect for an occasional moan when it bit on a chunky piece of bone. I believe I had it on for to long. It was one day old and saw 30 minutes of use.

LOL!  The same thing happened to us when we were making boerewors at home.  A little bit of a disaster.. :-)

Dotwop

Gavin Mac,

Would you care to share exactly how you do the Boerie and also the drive wors?

I tried last night with pre pack mince and it turned out a disaster.

feel free to email me 

thanks