Sign in to follow this  
QRM

Pre-Feb 2008 applications cancelled by CIC

anne*

HI Darkwing,

How do I join and which Lawyer is filing for a motion?

DARKWING

HI Darkwing,

How do I join and which Lawyer is filing for a motion?

Hi

The Guys name is Tim Leahy and you can reach him here

http://www.unfaircic.com/

My folks and brothers are all in the pre 2008 group so I got them onto this, figured that if they are going to be cancelled which even though it isn't finalised it is probably going to happen, might as well give this a go.

If I recall there was another class action against CIC in 2004 and it went well for the litigants (someone with better knowledge and memory can confirm this)

Edited by DARKWING

Derek3672

Hi

The Guys name is Tim Leahy and you can reach him here

http://www.unfaircic.com/

My folks and brothers are all in the pre 2008 group so I got them onto this, figured that if they are going to be cancelled which even though it isn't finalised it is probably going to happen, might as well give this a go.

If I recall there was another class action against CIC in 2004 and it went well for the litigants (someone with better knowledge and memory can confirm this)

Hi DARKWING,

Do you know how much will this cost ?

DARKWING

Hi DARKWING,

Do you know how much will this cost ?

I know the initial retainer will be $750, and you would have to double check with Tim but I think its a further $750 on a win and a % if there is anything awarded.

life-without-limits

Not sure how true this is. I am a pre- Feb 2008 applicant (Nov 2006) and I received a letter from CIC saying that Ontario province is interested in my skill. I had to complete special (Pilot) PNP forms and submit supporting documentation. No application fee was required and only 5 NOC skills was identified mostly in IT. When approved, then the FSW application falls away. I send my forms and supporting docs and I am waiting for a reply now, closing date is the 4th May 2012. Only applicants who received the invitation from PNP Ontario could apply.

DARKWING

If anyone is in the area and interested in the proceedings

here are the details for the hearing in Toronto on 5th June

Good Day,

The two-hour hearing is scheduled to occur at 9:30am on Tuesday, June 5th in Courtroom 4D on the 4th floor of 180 Queen East (northwest corner of Queen and Simcoe, one block west of University Avenue) . The subway stop is Osgoode Hall.

There will be two hearing will be for two cases: Class I, those who applied before 27 February 2008, and Class II, those who applied beetween 27 February 2008 and 25 June 2010. The names are Liang and Gurung, respectively.

Before entering the courtroom area, your bags will be checked. Mobiles should be turned off in the courtroom.

The judge hearing the case is Justice Donald J. Rennie. Immigration Canada is represented by DoJ counsel, Angela Marinos, Alison Engel-Yan and Jane Stewart.

Regards,

Tim

Tanya-Lisa

HI all, I have also been in touch with Tim and am considering this route for my family (Pre Feb 2008).

However, I wonder if anyone has seen this and if you can say whether there is any truth to it? There are sooo many rumours and such a lot of speculation, that I am not sure at all what to believe now - IT WAS SENT TO ME VIA THIS FORUM - AS A WEEKLY UPDATE ON PRE-2008 INFO. Anyone able to help? Tanya-Lisa

A controversial policy which would see almost 300,000 Canada visa applications returned with the advice to reapply has been halted.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has reportedly issued a directive to its embassies around the world with the instruction to continue processing Canada visa applications as usual.

The decision to cancel the applications was announced in March as part of the federal budget. In an effort to reduce a growing backlog of applications, the Canadian government were hoping to legislate away the backlog to, according to Immigration Minister Jason Kenney, allow the Canadian immigration system to react to the changing needs of the country's workforce.

All applications made before 2008 were reportedly to be cancelled with fees, totalling CA$130 million (£85 million), returned to the client along with the advice to reapply.

A group of disgruntled applicants had attempted to sue Mr Kenney over the decision but the case was quashed by a federal court which ruled that it could not force Mr Kenney to keep applications open.

However, an Ontario based immigration consultant has revealed that the government's policy has since been put on hold and applications are being processed as before.

Source: http://www.visabureau.com/canada/news/28-05-2012/cancelled-canada-visa-policy-halted.aspx (http://www.visabureau.com/canada/news/28-05-2012/cancelled-canada-visa-policy-halted.aspx)

DARKWING

Any lawyers on here know if it is ok for me to post the updates I have been getting regarding this case.

Obviously, everyone involved will have been getting the same updates but for the sake of those who are not involved but are interested in the proceedings and outcome.

Thanks in Advance

Toni

Since we found out about thus ( we applied Feb 2008) I have been researching going to Aussie. but that does not look good. They also have a skilled worker type programme, but you have to have a job on the list ( we are not) and a province has to invite you and they entertain very few applicants per year on this scheme. Or we can go on the employer sponsored scheme ( we are on the list of eligible jobs) but that means you need to find a job in advance. Not looking good. So despondent after all these years of waiting ...all for nothing

Garreth

Since we found out about thus ( we applied Feb 2008) I have been researching going to Aussie. but that does not look good. They also have a skilled worker type programme, but you have to have a job on the list ( we are not) and a province has to invite you and they entertain very few applicants per year on this scheme. Or we can go on the employer sponsored scheme ( we are on the list of eligible jobs) but that means you need to find a job in advance. Not looking good. So despondent after all these years of waiting ...all for nothing

Have you looked at New Zealand? Might be another option to consider.