Sign in to follow this  
QRM

Pre-Feb 2008 applications cancelled by CIC

EvB

It is official, breaking news in immigration circles, the Canadian Gvt, as part of its budget announcements today, will CANCEL ALL pre-Feb 2008 applications with refunds. It is not certain how these developments may affect the Pre-June 2010 (but after Feb 2008) applicants as only 160,000 are to be processed.

Refer all links in Canadian news, but especially this one that seems to carry more details

http://www.cicnews.com/2012/03/canadian-government-slashes-backlog-031472.html

Regards

Edited by EvB

Hendie

Sjoe, dis rof! My innige meegevoel met dié wat deur hierdie laakbare skuif van ons regering geraak word. Ek dink persoonlik dit is uiters swak om mense wat al so lank geduldig wag, sommer net so met een veeg van die lys te skrap. 'n Mens sou dink dat hulle eerder dié aansoeke voorkeur sou gee. Maar wie weet hoe politici se koppe werk!

Dedré

Oh my word... ons sou een van daai mense gewees het... Dis 'n skok vir my...

anne*

Ek is absoluut stom geslaan. Ons val onder PRE FEB 2008. Ek persoonlik dink dat dit onregverdig is dat ons so lank moes wag, oor die 4 jaar en nou moet ons hoor dit was verniet. Hoe vertel ek nou vir die kinders ons droom gaan nie bewaarheid word nie. Al my familie is in Kanada en die kinders se enigste lewende ouma. Elke jaar wanneer die tyd nader gekom het het die kinders excited geraak want hulle gaan hulle ouma sien. Die embassy wou nie eens hê ons moes gaan kuier terwyl ons immigrasie proses aan die gang was nie, en dis wat ons nou kry.......................

Ek wil skreeu en huil terselfde tyd, dit voel of ek die dood straf gekry het. :cry:

Wolverine

This OUTRAGEOUS and so unfair to the Pre-feb'08 guys. after four to 5 years of waiting, now they tell them this?? I think Canada will really lose a lot of skilled workers cos of their slow processing.:cry: :cry:

Lee-Ann32

I feel so sorry for those here that are affected by this. Really not fair at all. Especially those who now will no longer be on the preferred occupations list :(

zanadian

Ek is absoluut stom geslaan. Ons val onder PRE FEB 2008. Ek persoonlik dink dat dit onregverdig is dat ons so lank moes wag, oor die 4 jaar en nou moet ons hoor dit was verniet. Hoe vertel ek nou vir die kinders ons droom gaan nie bewaarheid word nie. Al my familie is in Kanada en die kinders se enigste lewende ouma. Elke jaar wanneer die tyd nader gekom het het die kinders excited geraak want hulle gaan hulle ouma sien. Die embassy wou nie eens hê ons moes gaan kuier terwyl ons immigrasie proses aan die gang was nie, en dis wat ons nou kry.......................

Ek wil skreeu en huil terselfde tyd, dit voel of ek die dood straf gekry het. :cry:

It is all shocking, hopefully the pre-feb 2008 applicants will get speedier

treatment as compensation, the second time around.

Lee-Ann32

It is all shocking, hopefully the pre-feb 2008 applicants will get speedier

treatment as compensation, the second time around.

Those that are on the occupation list will get faster processing, the issue is those that were on the old list of occupations that were "trimmed down" will now not be able to reapply under the same FSW category.. from what I understand

annied

I am so shocked and upset

I just don't understand how repaying $130million is a budget saving move

and I hope they pay the people interest for all these years as well

Lee-Ann32

I am so shocked and upset

I just don't understand how repaying $130million is a budget saving move

and I hope they pay the people interest for all these years as well

Hi Annie,

This doesnt affect you at all does it? :(

Tracey22

Wow, we were March 2007, and resubmitted in Feb 2009. All i can say is Thank G-d we decided to reapply otherwise we would not have been able to get here!

Jules

Brutal brutal brutal. Sad fact is that many people will no longer pass under the new system. And being 4 or 5 years older they might now be too old for other countries like OZ or NZ.

At the very least, they should get some bonus points toward the new test.

I've said this for years: Canada has a terrible and devious immigration system. It is poorly run and exploits people. For too long they have brought in people who had no hope of finding decent work. The system used skilled people from the 3rd world to fill unskilled low paying jobs in the first world.

Hopefully the "new" system will bring in the right people. But I remain pessimistic and feel sorry for the people who have been messed around with.

• Like 2

Kets

Hi,

This is quite sad to hear. All Pre Feb 2008 applications to be returned as just announced by the minister.

http://www.cicnews.com/

Its quite sad..

Wolverine

rather "Hearkbreaking news"

Derek3672

So after waiting for 6 and a half years ( applied in Sept 2005 ) they decided to cancel our application and refund us. I am devastated !!! So what now for me ??? Wait for June and see if I am on the list they require ? and wait now for another few years ??? and what if I am not on the list ???

( I did fall under the category 0631 Restaurant and Food Service Managers ).

Please need some encouraging advice....

Derek

Stefan

The decision seems rash and heartless. Why not do something more sensible, like stop taking new applications until the old backlog has been processed?

Shame, I feel bad for the people that have been strung along for so long. I hope all you South Africans reapply if you can bear to wait a little longer.

• Like 1

Jeanne

So after waiting for 6 and a half years ( applied in Sept 2005 ) they decided to cancel our application and refund us. I am devastated !!! So what now for me ??? Wait for June and see if I am on the list they require ? and wait now for another few years ??? and what if I am not on the list ???

Derek

Hi Derek, if you are still on the shortages skills apply now! It seems that applications submitted after June 2010 now take +- 1 year (I had a look at other forums as well), so I would grab the chance if I were you. Good luck, I sincerely hope that this time around it will work out for you.

Dedré

I would have insisted on the interest for that money. The people who applied in 2004 were not processed either. The backlog started when the occupation list changed in 2004. The pre-2004 applicants were processed under the new rules. Those applicants took CIC to court and won. So CIC was forced to process those applicants again under the old rules. The result was a huge backlog and now the applicants between 2004 and 2008 had to wait... If you submitted around 2005 your waiting period would now be 7 years. I suspect there are people who has been waiting more than that. It is so extremely unfair.

• Like 2

robert

Wow, this is terrible news. We are so fortunate to have made it in. We got our AOR in June 2004 and received our PR visas in August 2007. Landed in January 2008. We have just done our citizenship test and are waiting to be called for the ceremony. I am not sure (without checking) that we would now qualify for visas under the new system. I don't think that lawyers and teachers are in high demand.

We are very grateful to be here. Canada has been good to us, although we have aged more than 4 years in the 4 years we have been here.

Eager Beaver

Derek

If you are willing to consider Manitoba, take a look at http://www2.immigratemanitoba.com/browse/howtoimmigrate/beforeyouapply/pnp-visit.html the exploratory visit option under the MPNP. I applied in Nov 2009 under the FSW stream, using a paid "professional". After 2 years of waiting, I heard in Nov last year that she had submitted the incorrect NOC codes for me and my application was rejected. I was devastated, so I feel your pain!

I read about the MPNP (I was planning to go to Winnipeg anyway), applied late Nov 2011, go approval for an exploratory visit in Jan 2012 and went for my visit in Mar 2012. At the end of my visit, I had an interview with 2 government officials at the department of immigration, and got my invitation letter to apply at the end of the meeting. I have now submitted my electronic application and apparently the process is as follows: it takes 3 months to receive an approval letter, and a max of 12 months to process the full PR visa. However, once I have that approval letter, I am allowed to accept a job offer without the employer having to get an LMO. I can then get a work permit and start working while the PR is processed.

This is a much quicker way of going, but you have to prove that you really want to live in Manitoba and that you will make a success of living there. I loved Winnipeg and can't wait to get back!

Sideline

OMG,

Just catching up on news.

This personally affects a few of our friends that actually got us to apply in the first place.

I really feel for them. Luckily one of them managed to get to the USA in the mean time and they were waiting for the Ca immigration to complete.

This is so sad when hopes and dreams are crushed in a single moment. Does one even recover from that type of heart-ache? I would hate to be the one thinking it let alone experiencing it right now.

I am truly sorry for any of our members that are caught by this news.

DARKWING

This is just ridiculous, my folks and brothers have all been waiting over 5 years and they were even told not to reapply as it would just send them to the back of the queue.

I know they backlog grew out of the limits they set per year so why not temporarily suspend that limit, Surely the sensible thing to do would be to approve most of the applications, they wouldn't have submitted them if they didn't meet all the requirements to begin with and it should therefore be a simple matter of processing the application.

I know that nothing was guaranteed but it just seems like a huge betrayal to all of those that met all the requirements and have waited patiently for years.

• Like 1

anne*

HI Everyone,

I spoke to our representative (Attorney David Cohen) yesterday who confirmed that the cancellation of 27 Feb'08 is not yet finalized. So, there is still hope.:rolleyes:

Has anyone heard something different with regards to their applications or seen updates on the immigraton files or even got cancellation letters from the embassy.

Our file still shows in Process since Feb 2008. We can only be hopeful......

DARKWING

To anyone involved in the class action or thinking of joining, I have just heard that the date for the hearing will be 5th June and that further litigants will be allowed to join up until that date.

The lawyer is filing a motion to hopefully stop CIC from closing any files that are included in the class action until it is fully decided.

I think there are around 750 ish people involved so far and if you are pre 2008 then you might as well join up because your application will eventually be cancelled, at least this way you you might still have a chance.

Edited by DARKWING