Sign in to follow this  
Michaelb

East London

Michaelb

Hi all

I saw the last post from someone in East London was in 2004, I’m sure by now there must be a few more East Londoners wanting to go to Canada. If there are please PM me so that we can get together and chat. It would be great to chat to someone face to face about this whole process.

Kind regards

Michael

OutOfSa

Hi all

I saw the last post from someone in East London was in 2004, I’m sure by now there must be a few more East Londoners wanting to go to Canada. If there are please PM me so that we can get together and chat. It would be great to chat to someone face to face about this whole process.

Kind regards

Michael

Hey

I am from PE, or the baai, or ibaai or Nelson Mandela Bay, or The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Municipal area.... you choose. I would not mind some support either, but, I hears East London people are weird!? :D

(Luckily our province has top marks for being the worst run province in SA!! So we can only go up!)

Just teasing ! (About the weird people, not the lousy running of the place :censored:

Michaelb

Hi OutOf SA

You are right EL people are weird, jokes :D . My wife and I are from Queenstown originally so EL is a second home. If you are ever in the area give me a shout .

elcycad

Hi, I'm from EL...been here 10yrs...miss EL 'cause of the great weather and good friends...great beaches...only realize that now!

Any questions?

Michaelb

Hi Kcmorgan

I guess you only miss it when it’s gone. Ten years is a long time and I think you would be in for a surprise if you came back for a visit, but let me leave it there....

thecarelses

Holy smokes the world's getting smaller by the day

I was born and raised in Queenstown and finish my schooling in EL always willing to lend a helping hand to my fellow BORDER residents.

ByteBaron

Same here ... more than willing to help.

Really small world !!!

I also grew up (born and bred) in Queenstown and all my family are in slum town.

I have VERY recently gone through the immigration process ... landed in Calgary just over 4 months ago (permanent residence on "Federal Skilled Worker Program"!

Excellent place to see time-lines for the process ...http://www.trackitt.com/ and look at Green Card Trackers http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/federal-skilled-workers

The long and frustrating wait will be worth it in the end!

Michaelb

Wow I can’t believe there are so many ex Eastern Cape and especially Border guys in Canada! It is a small world! My wife and I are just starting the whole process but are very excited, and we will definitely ask for lots of help! I feel very positive about Canada I just believe there are a lot of opportunities there and I can’t wait to try them out :D . Now just to find some families that are still here so that we can get together and chat face to face.

Thanks for all the replies.

vinceb

My wife and I were both born and bred in the border, I grew up in EL and she in Dordrecht, and I worked in Indwe for 8yrs, the Border is like a second home. My wife still has family there. I suspect that people from the Border will do well in Canada, so hang in there, at the end its all worth it.

Dedré

Since we are making confessions here on this thread... My husband is also from PE. He is so humbly proud of that fact. If PE was the safe place it was 30 years ago, and he could have earned a living in IT, we would have moved there.

...would have... could have... should have.... oi!

debbieD

I lived in EL from Std. 2 to Std. 8 ... loved it. My one best friend there is about to move to New Zealand, so she is on the way out. Good luck with your application.

Shaunlg

Hi There,

Is there anybody in the process or have made the choice to go to Canada in East London that would like to get together?

Cathy K

We have whole families of East Londoners here in Nanaimo, starting with oupa and ouma. Family gatherings often see twenty plus of the clans together.

I will find out if they know of others in East London that plan on emigrating

Shaunlg

Thank you Cathy, that would be great!

Dixie

I am planning on visiting family in EL but only end June / early July.....Can connect then if you like.

Shaunlg

I am planning on visiting family in EL but only end June / early July.....Can connect then if you like.

Hi Dixie,

That would be great! Let me know and we'll set something up.

KarinS

Wow it is a small world! We arrived in Calgary 3 months ago - Alan also grew up in Queenstown (went to Queens College) and then his family moved to East London - where they still are. I guess age is a factor in whether you all know each other:) We still go back to South Africa and visit East London every year. We still love it, although it has "changed" a bit!

Shaunlg

Wow it is a small world! We arrived in Calgary 3 months ago - Alan also grew up in Queenstown (went to Queens College) and then his family moved to East London - where they still are. I guess age is a factor in whether you all know each other:) We still go back to South Africa and visit East London every year. We still love it, although it has "changed" a bit!

Hi Karin,

It sure is!! :) We moved from Pretoria to East London about 2 years ago and hopefully next year the BIG move to Canada. When are you planning a trip to East London again?

We are aiming to move to Calgary/Edmonton, how have you experienced it so far?

• Like 1

KarinS

Hi Karin,

It sure is!! :) We moved from Pretoria to East London about 2 years ago and hopefully next year the BIG move to Canada. When are you planning a trip to East London again?

We are aiming to move to Calgary/Edmonton, how have you experienced it so far?

Hi Shaun (is that correct?)

We normally go home (Cape Town for me and EL for Alan) once a year in about April, but due to the move from Perth to Calgary this year, we missed our visit. I am not sure exactly when we will be going again, since Alan just started a new job 3 months ago.

We love Calgary so far. It has a smaller town feel to it with really friendly people and easy access to the country areas. We live in a lovely community and the children are very happy in school. Alan does work very hard - he did an "allnighter" last night to meet a deadline - but I think that is the case with many immigrants. Please feel free to contact us any time you need help or info. This forum is amazing and everybody is super helpful.

Good luck with the preparations!

Karin

Shaunlg

Hi Shaun (is that correct?)

We normally go home (Cape Town for me and EL for Alan) once a year in about April, but due to the move from Perth to Calgary this year, we missed our visit. I am not sure exactly when we will be going again, since Alan just started a new job 3 months ago.

We love Calgary so far. It has a smaller town feel to it with really friendly people and easy access to the country areas. We live in a lovely community and the children are very happy in school. Alan does work very hard - he did an "allnighter" last night to meet a deadline - but I think that is the case with many immigrants. Please feel free to contact us any time you need help or info. This forum is amazing and everybody is super helpful.

Good luck with the preparations!

Karin

Hi,

Shaun is correct :) ,

Thanks I will definitely do so.

What does your husband do if I may ask?

• Like 1

KarinS

Hi Shaun

Alan is a hydrogeologist at a consulting firm.

Shaunlg

Hi Shaun

Alan is a hydrogeologist at a consulting firm.

Hi Karin,

Sorry for the late reply got a bit busy this side. One of my friends is also a hydrogeologist and asked me if I can find out from you for which company your husband works for?

thnx

Tracy

Hi Shaun

We moved to Calgary from East London almost 10 years ago.

I'd recommend it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tracy

ReneLestan

Anyone from East London at the moment going through the process?  Would love to meet up and share some experiences and insights!

SoapyBubbles

Hi there.  I am from East London.  My family is planning to head to Canada in 2021.  We want to move to Calgary.  Anyone know any good ways to find jobs as a foreign national.

also, does anyone have advice on the cheapest way to ship a few boxes over (not sending a container).