Sign in to follow this  
eternaltruth

South African nurses working in Canada

eternaltruth

Hi all

Does anyone here know of South African nurses that are working in Canada?

My fiance and I are getting married in August 2011 and after the wedding we want to start the application process for our move to Canada.

We need some advice on the following: How to register as a nurse (i hold a 4-year Bcur nursing degree from South Africa), The best agency that can assist us in Cape Town, and where we can get sponsorship jobs as a registered nurse.

It would be great to chat to a fellow South African nurse who has gone through this process...

• Like 1

Freelander

Contact me at cobus@greenwoodrentals.ca and I will help with all the information we can. My wife is a RN and went through the whole process of getting work permits, etc. Allthough seven years ago, I believe the process will still be the same. Good luck and don't give up, we are being sworn in as Canadian citizens on June 9th, after a very long wait.

• Like 1

Inge Rourke

Hi all

Does anyone here know of South African nurses that are working in Canada?

My fiance and I are getting married in August 2011 and after the wedding we want to start the application process for our move to Canada.

We need some advice on the following: How to register as a nurse (i hold a 4-year Bcur nursing degree from South Africa), The best agency that can assist us in Cape Town, and where we can get sponsorship jobs as a registered nurse.

It would be great to chat to a fellow South African nurse who has gone through this process...

Inge Rourke

Hi Freelander and Eternaltruth,

I hope you don't mind if I also obtian more information. I am in the same boat as Eternaltruth.

We applied for a workspermit 7 years ago, through my husband and unfortunately it was stopped, long story. But we are ready to try again.

I started applying for registration with Ontario then. I found it extremely difficult to get information, so would love to be able to keep in contact and share/ask question if you don't mind.

I have a B.Soc,Sc (Nursing) degree, and worked as a midwife and lactation consultant for a few years. I would like to stay in that field. I spoke to a visa agency : Global visa, and they mentioned I will be able to obtain a skilled visa as a Lisenced practical nurse, which seems the same as a Nursing assistant! Can I work as a registered nurse though?

Freelander, congrats with the big achievement, that must be a great feeling.

Kind regards,

Inge

Edited by Inge Rourke

tobiasf

Hi all,

I do not see allot of post or information regarding South African nurse applying to work in Canada. My wife and I are looking to working in Canada (Ontario) as she will be applying to work as a nurse in Canada.

My wife got a B Cur Degree and she registered at NNAS to check the credentials.

I also see that you need to be Registered at the College of Nurse in Ontario.

Any insights as to all the processes regarding this.

Thanks

Cobus

Even Canadian nurses that studied in ON can not find work. Remember a health region must first advertise for 1 months in there locations before they can apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Hi all,

I do not see allot of post or information regarding South African nurse applying to work in Canada. My wife and I are looking to working in Canada (Ontario) as she will be applying to work as a nurse in Canada.

My wife got a B Cur Degree and she registered at NNAS to check the credentials.

I also see that you need to be Registered at the College of Nurse in Ontario.

Any insights as to all the processes regarding this.

Thanks

Some info from clpna_logo.jpg

Important Notice for Internationally Educated Nurses National Nursing Assessment Service begins Aug 12, 2014

(Aug 12/14) – Effective August 12, 2014, to become a nurse in Canada (except Quebec and Territories), all internationally educated nurse (IEN) applicants MUST FIRST APPLY to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) for document evaluation and verification. Any applications that CLPNA receives from IENs on or after August 12 will be returned to applicants with instructions on how to apply through NNAS. Read more…

Internationally Educated Nurses: Applying for Registration Did you read The LPN Profession in Alberta?

IMPORTANT: To work or accept employment in Alberta, Canada, Licensed Practical Nurses must have registration and a valid Practice Permit from the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA), as per the Health Professions Act (HPA) of Alberta.

Starting August 12, 2014, all internationally educated nurses (IENs) who wish to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta must FIRST apply to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS).

Any applications that CLPNA receives from IENs on or after August 12, 2014 will be returned to applicants with instructions on how to apply through NNAS.

Applying to NNAS is for any internationally educated nurse (IEN) applicant who:
  • is a graduate of a nursing education program outside of Canada; and
  • is not currently registered to practice as a nurse anywhere within Canada as a Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN).

If you do not meet the above criteria, see “If you are not eligible to apply through NNAS”

Already applied? Applicants who have already submitted their IEN Application for Registration and paid the required fee to CLPNA on or before August 11, 2014 will be assessed under our former process and will not be required to reapply through NNAS.

How to Apply

Effective August 12, 2014, all internationally educated nurses must follow these steps (in order):

1. Apply to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS)
    1. Set up an online account with National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) at www.nnas.ca.
    2. Complete the online application.
    3. Pay the required fee.
    4. Follow the instructions about which documents to submit for verification.
    5. Once your file is complete, NNAS will evaluate it and provide you with online access to an Advisory Report, which contains the results of the evaluation. NNAS will also send a copy of this report to the relevant regulatory body.
    6. You can now apply directly to the regulatory body of your choice and pay their application fee. You will be able to do this from your NNAS online account.
  2. Apply to the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA)
    1. After submitting your NNAS Advisory Report to CLPNA, CLPNA will ask you to complete an Internationally Educated Nurse (IEN) Application for Registration and pay the required fee.
    2. Once your file is complete, CLPNA will assess your file to determine whether you meet CLPNA’s:
      1. Registration Requirements for Internationally Educated Nurses (PDF)
      2. English Language Testing Standards
    3. CLPNA will notify you if you’ve been approved for registration and/or if further requirements need to be met.

Questions about the NNAS application process? Contact NNAS’s Customer Care Department at www.nnas.ca/help.

Questions about the CLPNA’s registration process? Contact CLPNA’s International Services Department at international@clpna.com or 780-484-8886.

If you are not eligible to apply through NNAS

Those not qualified to apply through NNAS have several options:

• If you were previously registered/licensed as an Licensed Practical Nurse (or Registered Practical Nurse) in any jurisdiction/province in Canada, you may apply for registration using another route:

• Individuals who do not meet NNAS or CLPNA’s registration requirements are advised to contact the schools below for the assessment of nursing credentials and/or clinical competence. Completion of a Practical Nurse program may be required.

Anyone who has not practiced as a nurse in the past ten (10) years is required to complete a full Practical Nurse program.

NorQuest College

Office of Registrar

10232 106 Street

Edmonton, Alberta T5J 1L6

Phone 780-644-6000

Intake: Continuous

Bow Valley College

Prospective Student Centre

332-6 Avenue SE

Calgary, Alberta T2G 4S6

recruiting@bowvalleycollege.ca

Phone: 403-410-1402

Intake: January, April, August

Website: Practical Nurse Diploma for Internationally Educated Nurses

FOR THOSE EDUCATED IN A NON-NURSING PROFESSION

Individuals not previously educated in nursing (ie. paramedics, physicians, midwifes, etc), but interested in becoming a Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta, should contact NorQuest College or Bow Valley College to determine if any transfer credit may apply.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR IENS

English Language Testing Standards

The LPN Professional in Alberta

http://www.clpna.com/applicants/i-am-an-internationally-educated-nurse/ien/

Info from cna-aiic-logo.png

Work in Canada
Where can I find out how to obtain a visa to work as a registered nurse in Canada?

Contact the Canadian consulate nearest you for information regarding immigration or visas. It is very likely that an offer of employment will be required.

What are the employment prospects in Canada?

Nursing employment is growing after several years of health-care restructuring and hospital downsizing. RNs with skills and experience in specialty areas (e.g., emergency, critical care and operating room) and those willing to work in smaller or isolated communities are in the most demand. CNA is predicting a continued shortage of nurses for the future.

Where can I obtain information about becoming licensed to practise nursing in Canada?

Unlike many other countries, the registration of nurses does not occur at the national level. RNs are licensed in the province or territory in which they work. You can request a prior learning assessment and application forms from any provincial or territorial regulatory body.

Will I need to write an examination to become licensed to practise in Canada?

Canadian provinces and territories require that you write an exam as part of the registration or licensure process. Starting in 2015, provincial and territorial nursing regulators (outside Quebec) will use the NCLEX-RN exam from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) as Canada’s entry-to-practice exam. For more information, please contact your provincial or territorial regulatory body and NCSBN.

Quebec nurses will continue to use their own exam. For further information, please contact the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec.

What languages do I need to know to become an RN in Canada?

Varied language proficiencies are required to become an RN in Canada. Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset. Candidates must have knowledge of French to practise in Quebec. In New Brunswick, Manitoba and Ontario, candidates must be proficient in either French or English. Employment and nursing education programs for French speaking nurses are available in Quebec and in certain areas of New Brunswick, Manitoba and Ontario. The other provinces and territories require proficiency in English.

Can I practise midwifery?

Midwifery is a recognized profession in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia. For further information, please refer to the Canadian Association of Midwives.

http://www.cna-aiic.ca/en/becoming-an-rn/work-in-canada

Ontario:

Outside Canada
  1. Introduction

This guide explains the process for registering in Ontario and the requirements that all nurses must meet to become a member of the College.

2. Why Register with the College?

Becoming a member of the College of Nurses of Ontario is a legal requirement for anyone who wishes to practise nursing in Ontario.

3. Beginning Your Application

The registration process begins when you open an account with the National Nursing Assessment Service, the national body that begins the initial document collection and assessment of all internationally educated nurses who want to work in Canada.

4. Registration Requirements

During the registration process, the College evaluates all applicants to determine whether they meet the registration requirements.

5. Examinations

All applicants to the College must successfully complete the registration examination approved by Council for the category to which they are applying.

6. Requesting Accommodation

Everyone who writes an examination as part of their application to the College has the right to request accommodation.

7. Initial Registration

When you have met all registration requirements, including the successful completion of the registration and jurisprudence exams, the College will send you the Initial Registration form.

8. Timelines & Translations

To ensure fairness and equitable treatment of all applicants, every application is assessed individually. As a result, the time required to complete the assessment process can vary from one applicant to the next.

9. Further Resources

To learn more about nursing education in Ontario, the province’s health care system, or how to access programs and services designed to help newcomers, please visit one of the following sites...

10. Collection of Personal Information

Information about how the College collects and safeguards personal information provided for the purpose of registration or reinstatement.

http://www.cno.org/become-a-nurse/new-applicants1/outside-canada/

Even Canadian nurses that studied in ON can not find work. Remember a health region must first advertise for 1 months in there locations before they can apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment

Don't know if this is part of the issues/challenges for foreign trained nurses in Ontario as well:

Immigrant nurses face new hurdles with Ontario’s licensing changes New screening exam for RNs is failing three-quarters of immigrant nurses, who have a tough time finding bridging programs to fill in the gaps in their training.
By: Nicholas Keung Immigration reporter, Published on Tue Nov 11 2014

Exactly three years after she submitted her application to be licensed as a registered nurse in Ontario, Mitra Shojaee was told she would need to restart her education over to qualify.

The Toronto resident, a veteran RN from Iran, is among the three-quarters of immigrant nurses in the province who have failed the College of Nurses of Ontario’s new licensing exam. They face a double whammy, since the province also lacks remedial programs that could help them fill the skills gap.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/11/11/immigrant_nurses_face_new_hurdles_with_ontarios_licensing_changes.html