Sign in to follow this  
annied

pre June 2010 applicants

Freddy

Hi ENGinCT, freddy

I am at the moment doing #1....finding it very depressing. I think I may have left it too late. But anyways.

For #2, the trick is to do it at the right time when the exchange rates are kind. Plus it depends how comfortable you are with the medium you using. I'd say for me at least half in cash and the rest either EFT'd or traveller's cheques. Also depending how much cash we talking about.

I am still stuck for #3. I'd like to formally emigrate. But since I might have a property still to sell (or to rent out then) by the time I leave, this might be an issue. I don't want to cause more hassles than what I think I'm gonna be having. The forum has numerous discussions regarding this topic.

I'll let you know with #4. I'm filling up the forms as we speak. I reckon there's nothing much to lose here if I do get one.

The property market is so so slow. Can you believe it I was offerred R150,000 less than our selling price for silly excuses such as toilet seats bla bla. So we are still waiting for a reasonable offer and I told the agent I am not in a rush.

Anyway hoping we get our passports back next week.

annied

before we can even do no.1 we have to do no.0

fix the house - give it a good paint job inside and outside

in the mean time we are have garage sales, and I started paying attention to my linked in account yesterday and I can change our CV's into resumes

I must also find out about the RA's, how much are they worth and how much will SARS take.

also don't know about the full financial immigration thins because I own have a property with my sister, I think this might stop me from beign able to do a financil immigration.

MaryJane

before we can even do no.1 we have to do no.0

fix the house - give it a good paint job inside and outside

in the mean time we are have garage sales, and I started paying attention to my linked in account yesterday and I can change our CV's into resumes

I must also find out about the RA's, how much are they worth and how much will SARS take.

also don't know about the full financial immigration thins because I own have a property with my sister, I think this might stop me from beign able to do a financil immigration.

If you have RAs that you'd like to take, you will have to seriously consider formally emigrating. That's the advice I have been given. I don't have any though. You may want to try and have a chat with Tanya from exchange4free.

I have been selling my stuff on the internet and so far, business is getting me by, haha..... It's just a bit of a thing to always be at the post office sending parcels or arranging to meet with strange people.

Freddy

If you have RAs that you'd like to take, you will have to seriously consider formally emigrating. That's the advice I have been given. I don't have any though. You may want to try and have a chat with Tanya from exchange4free.

I have been selling my stuff on the internet and so far, business is getting me by, haha..... It's just a bit of a thing to always be at the post office sending parcels or arranging to meet with strange people.

So MJ if all i have is to sell my 2 properties, cash out on work retirement, sell cars, households item...do I need to financially emigrate as well? Just so confuse with all this finacial jargons seriously

MaryJane

So MJ if all i have is to sell my 2 properties, cash out on work retirement, sell cars, households item...do I need to financially emigrate as well? Just so confuse with all this finacial jargons seriously

Hi freddy

I don't think you'll need to financially emigrate. As mentioned, it's mostly pertinent if you want to get RAs paid out or if you are an heir to an inheritance.

Jeanne

Hi freddy

I don't think you'll need to financially emigrate. As mentioned, it's mostly pertinent if you want to get RAs paid out or if you are an heir to an inheritance.

You don't need to, I know of a lot of emigrants who have never bothered. We will as soon as we receive our PR-cards and that should be any day now (they are SO behind, we landed 3 months ago). We need to since we want to get our RA's paid out and also for inheritance.

annied

I'm a bit slow today

How does the financial immigration and future inheritance in SA affect eachother.

My sister and I inherited my fathers house jointly with the provision that my mother has life long usufruct, so we can only sell it after she passes, I assume that I cannot immigrate financialy while I own property in SA

I think I am going to be a bit stuffed

MaryJane

I'm a bit slow today

How does the financial immigration and future inheritance in SA affect eachother.

My sister and I inherited my fathers house jointly with the provision that my mother has life long usufruct, so we can only sell it after she passes, I assume that I cannot immigrate financialy while I own property in SA

I think I am going to be a bit stuffed

Not necessarily. You can financially emigrate even with properties in SA. But I remember reading somewhere that you'd have to give the bank handling your formal emigration the control of your remaining assets. See here.

Inheritances, I think, are okay if they stay in SA. The only problem would be when you want them paid out - see this thread on the forum. I think there's a couple of them talking about getting inheritances out.

Noks

Yippee, Yippee, Yippeeeeeeeeee...........

Its our turn - Medical instructions arrived today after a long....................2 year wait since first submission.

Thanks be to God.!!!

ENGinCT

It's a grey Monday morning in CT...

K*k traffic on the way to work - the roads are full of idiots...

Get a call from reception. There's a delivery for me...

My passport with PR Visa !!!!!

YEEEEEEEEE and HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:P:D:P:D:P:D

Freddy

Congratulation....your monday should be fine then

Tifa

Congrats!!!!

Jeanne

CONGRATULATIONS my friend! Wish François and I could celebrate with you! Remember when our coffee club had our last get together at the Surf Side restaurant in the Strand when I went to fetch François at the airport. He came back with our passports and I could NOT wait to show if off! You guys were SO happy for us and I said your day is soon to come... and I think you said most probably in Aug :P:):rolleyes:;)B)

Edited by Jeanne

Tracey22

Sorry to rain on your cloudy day, but in Toronto, you get the

grey mornings, (in winter and spring and autumn)

But it is a new world to embrace. Congratulations

But it is a new world to embrace. Congratulations

Most people will agree with Tracey on Toronto's Hwy 401 traffic issues….. Plenty of Idiots on the road, very aggressive drivers, some of them even make our South African taxi drivers look OK!! You quickly learn to adapt though.

Happy travels and settling in!!

Dedré

CONGRATULATIONS my friend! Wish François and I could celebrate with you! Remember when our coffee club had our last get together at the Surf Side restaurant in the Strand when I went to fetch François at the airport. He came back with our passports and I could NOT wait to show if off! You guys were SO happy for us and I said your day is soon to come... and I think you said most probably in Aug :P:):rolleyes:;)B)

Friendships formed in the coffee club.... the coffee clubs bond people forever... :wub:

Congratulations to you guys!

ENGinCT

To everyone above,

Thanks SO MUCH for the good wishes!

It hasn't sunk in yet....

Tracey, luckily I'm heading to Vancouver.... :blink: I know, it's certainly greyer than CT!

But I'll embrace it!

:D

Dedré

You will be just fine wherever you settle. Vancouver is allot like Cape Town in culture too. People are harder to make friends with, but SAcans stick together way more there due to that fact. If your heart is in it... you will make it. And if you have kids, your kids' friend's parents will also befriend you. With an awesome attitude one can achieve allot! Good luck to you guys!

Noks

Hi All.

We have received an email requesting our passports for our PR Visas to be issued today.

27 Months in total.

For you folks that may still be in waiting. be patient, it will soon be your turn.

Regards

Jeanne

Hi All.

We have received an email requesting our passports for our PR Visas to be issued today.

27 Months in total.

For you folks that may still be in waiting. be patient, it will soon be your turn.

Regards

Congratulations!!

OutOfSa

Most people will agree with Tracey on Toronto's Hwy 401 traffic issues….. Plenty of Idiots on the road, very aggressive drivers, some of them even make our South African taxi drivers look OK!! You quickly learn to adapt though.

Happy travels and settling in!!

Mega congratulations - EngCT, exciting times acomming !

Eish, they are right, Canadian drivers can be psychotic - People told me this, I never believed it for a minute - but you can't have it all. No minibus taxi's thought !! And I really don't mind the school buses - even when I have to stop 10 times behind one.

Edited by OutOfSa

annied

got the email today to say our passports are ready for collection.

so postnet should have them back here by about thurs/friday

wow

out timeline started at the end of May2010 to Oct2012

just a bit over 2 years

now the really busy part of our lives start

yesterday I delivered 270 flyers into postboxes in the complex announcing the first of many garage sales for 13Oct. tonight I have 45 more to deliver

I was knackered. I have new-found respect for postmen

Edited by annied

Noks

wow

just a bit over 2 years

yesterday I delivered 270 flyers into postboxes in the complex announcing the first of many garage sales for 13Oct. tonight I have 45 more to deliver

Congrats, that is FANTASTIC news !!!!

Wolverine

@Noks and @Annied.

Congratulations to you guys. Welcome to Canada.

@annied, so the saudi police clearance didnt bother that much?

Freddy

wow

just a bit over 2 years

Getting a drink for this...welcome. Next phase of the process