Sign in to follow this  
Cathy K

Next of kin of a dear friend

Cathy K

The bodies of my dearest friend, Janette Swart and her son Gerrit were discovered in her car at one of Nanaimo's beaches. Both were shot in an apparent murder/suicide. News.

I would like to contact her family in South Africa to offer our condolences as well as any assistance that they might need. I know one of her brothers died recently. Does anyone know a prof Gert and Alet du Preez of Gansbaai? I believe Janette's other brother, dr Peet du Preez and his wife Annalouise relocated from Montanapark in Pretoria to Parys in the Free State.

I just need their telephone numbers, or the telephone number of the Dutch Reform (NG) Church in Parys.

Janette was one of the best people I ever knew and she had no remaining relatives in Canada.

Adele

Kathy I am so sorry to hear about this. I don't know the people - here or on SA - but I send my condolences to you, as her friend.

May they be at peace. I am sorry that they felt this was an option open to them.

As an SA community that have all gone through the immigration struggles, we so need to pull together. Sad how some people think they can make it on their own. Then when I hear stories like this, I wonder if there was anything more I could have done to befriend another new SA immigrant.

CharleneK

Adelle, Janetta had lived in Canada since the 1960's, and was well acclimatised. She had a big circle of friends. This tragedy was the result of her son's troubles, for which he chose a hopelessly illogical solution. Janetta was happy, which makes her death all the more senseless. This was not her choice. Your point is well taken, however. Reach out and touch someone.

Charlene

Christa
The bodies of my dearest friend, Janette Swart and her son Gerrit were discovered in her car at one of Nanaimo's beaches. Both were shot in an apparent murder/suicide. News.

I would like to contact her family in South Africa to offer our condolences as well as any assistance that they might need. I know one of her brothers died recently. Does anyone know a prof Gert and Alet du Preez of Gansbaai? I believe Janette's other brother, dr Peet du Preez and his wife Annalouise relocated from Montanapark in Pretoria to Parys in the Free State.

I just need their telephone numbers, or the telephone number of the Dutch Reform (NG) Church in Parys.

Janette was one of the best people I ever knew and she had no remaining relatives in Canada.

Baie jammer om dit te hoor Cathy, sterkte aan jou en hul familie. Dit is 'n groot tragedie en ek wens ek kon daar gewees het vir hulle. Mag God hulle toevou in sy arms en die nodige troos verleen aan hul familie.

Weereens baie sterkte.

Groete,

Christa

Cathy K

Janette and her family came to Canada in 1968 and was a loved primary school teacher in Nanaimo. Her husband lectured at the Vancouver Island University. She had a big circle of friends - mostly Canadians. She was overjoyed when she reconnected with South Africans in Nanaimo. Janette heard me speaking Afrikaans to Ruby at the church and came over to introduce herself. We have been firm friends ever since. She was 77 years old. Her oldest son died three years ago after a long battle with cancer. Her husband passed away a few years before that. I believe the rest of her family is still in South Africa.

Adele, perhaps you can help. Her son Gerald (Gerrit) Swart was a member of a band in Vancouver. They played mostly on pleasure cruise ships for the past two years and he was currently negotiating new contracts. It might be possible to contact the other members of his band.

Cathy K

I was able to get the e-mail address of one of Janette's brothers. Please keep this family in your prayers.

Merv

That is such a tragedy, I cannot imagine what the circumstances leading up to this might have been. My heart goes out to the family

Adele
Janette and her family came to Canada in 1968 and was a loved primary school teacher in Nanaimo. Her husband lectured at the Vancouver Island University. She had a big circle of friends - mostly Canadians. She was overjoyed when she reconnected with South Africans in Nanaimo. Janette heard me speaking Afrikaans to Ruby at the church and came over to introduce herself. We have been firm friends ever since. She was 77 years old. Her oldest son died three years ago after a long battle with cancer. Her husband passed away a few years before that. I believe the rest of her family is still in South Africa.

Adele, perhaps you can help. Her son Gerald (Gerrit) Swart was a member of a band in Vancouver. They played mostly on pleasure cruise ships for the past two years and he was currently negotiating new contracts. It might be possible to contact the other members of his band.

I will certainly see what I can do Kathy. I have a friend who also plays the cruise ships, but is not on facebook. I will see if I can contact them through their kids.

johankok

Cathy, ek het vir jou 2 P. du Preez se foon nommers in Parys op facebook gesit. - Kon niemand in Gansbaai op die foon lys sien nie.

Cathy K

Baie dankie Johan. Ek waardeer regtig almal se hulp.

Ons kon gelukkig die hele familie in Suid-Afrika opspoor en hoop maar haar seun se vriende en kennisse in Vancouver weet van die tragedie. Albei haar kinders is in Kanada gebore. Die polisie sal vandag hulle name amptelik bekend maak.

Janette woon reeds meer as vier dekades in Nanaimo en word onthou vir die heel mooiste redes. Sy het houtbanke langs die see laat oprig ter herinnering aan haar ander seun en eggenote. Sy het ook namens hulle donasies aan Nanaimo hospitaal gemaak. Haar hand was altyd oop, maar net haar heel beste vriende het so 'n klein bietjie geweet van wat sy doen. Sy is 'n klinkklare bewys van die gesegde: "Die linkerhand weet nie wat die regterhand doen nie."

Ons almal gaan haar mis. Sy't 'n groot leemte gelaat.

Karen

My deepest symapthy to you, Cathy, and also to the family.

No one knows the depths of another's mind, and we cannot sit in judgment, even in the face of such an awful tragedy.

May they both rest in peace.

AlwynR

Cathy K , I am a cousin of Jannette and have contact with her 2 brothers in SA. Her eldest brother Peet du Preez passed last year in July and Gert lives in Gansbaai and the youngest Pieter is in Parys.

Please contact me if you need their contact numbers. I have not had direct contact with Jannette over the years, however I was always aware of her and her families situation via her brothers and again Pieter called me on Sunday to tel me about the her and tragic death.

Please feel free to contact me if you want to be in contact with her brothers. Alwyn Rautenbach

Cathy K

Thanks Alwyn. All of Janetta's friends and family in South Africa have now been informed of her death. They have an extremely hard time dealing with it. New information about her son Gerrit confirms that he loved her very much and that there was no malice intended. He suffered terrible lost in his lifetime and developed problems because of this. Both his dad and his eldest brother died after lengthy battles with cancer.

It is not for us to pass judgment.

A memorial service will be held for both Gerrit and Janetta at the Presbyterian Church in Departure Bay Road, Nanaimo. It takes place on the 13th of November (next Saturday) at 11 o' clock. We want it to be a joyous occasion, celebrating the lives of two people who made a tremendous contribution to society: Gerrit (known as Gerald) with his music and Janette with her selfless personality, compassion and love for everyone. She was a Kindergarten teacher in Nanaimo for decades.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

My deepest condolences to you, Alwyn. What a tragic loss for all of you. May the Lord's comfort be upon you and your family.

So hard to find the "right" words, but please know our hearts go out to you all.

My condolences to you as well, Cathy.

It is not easy to lose a friend. Hugs to you, dear friend.