Sign in to follow this  
Protea

Divorce help???

Protea

:) Should have married a boerseun but since none was available... well and it seems that it didn't work out with the Maritimer. He wants out. I would have stayed and fought for the marriage but since he involved another girl into the mess I think I'm best of saying goodbye. Will take care next time to make sure a guy's values and morals match mine better!

Wondering if anyone can recommend any good, yet affordable divorce lawyers in Calgary?

It might be a little complicated since he has a bussiness which he incorporated just this year(sole proprietor for 4 yeas before) and he has burried a lot of shared money in there that I am hoping to still get something from. We have already talked and it seems he wants me to walk away with nothing eventhough I've contributed a lot(less in the last year when I was finishing my diploma but still as much as I was able to while keeping up acedemic performance)through the course of our time together. We've been together for 6 years, married for 3. He wants to keep the house(which I am fine with since I will want to relocate to Banff anyway) but I am not sure how all this works since he will obviously have to buy me out somehow. He has some tax debt and credit card debt and I will need to figure out how much of that I am going to be held accountable etc. A lot of sillyness, really.

Any suggestions/ recommendations will be much appreciated!

Dankie!

EvB

I am so bitter sorry to hear this. This is never nice. But best you can do now is chin up no matter how difficult and act decisively and quickly

Urgently contact Nico Breedt he is on this forum and he is one of the hosts. I know he also does family legal work and he might be able to get you in touch with someone. I stand to be corrected as I am not a legal or divorce expert, when getting divorced in Canada the divorcing couple has to split everything in half. You may want to read up a little yourself whilst you initiate contact with the legal boys. See what you can dig-up here http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/StatutesByTitle Here you can perhaps dig in on matrimonial laws, divorce regulations etc. This site lists all the acts of Canada and it is pretty much up to date.

Is the house in both your names? Is the mortgage in both your names? If so do not let go of your property rights. You do not want to end up with a situation where the mortgage is a joint mortgage and ex- spouse continues to live in the house. You could end up liable for half the debt without having anything to show for it. In situations like this you simply need to think in practical terms. It is difficult but try to set the emotions aside. Emotional decisions will cost you in the long run. Try to think with a clear mind and you know what?, things will get better again. Identify where you have joint debt and joint accounts and do not surrender anything or any of your rights if it seems you could get the short-end of the stick, especially not before having consulted the legal experts.

All the very best. Let me know if you cannot get in touch with Nico

Edited by Hendie

Adele

I am also so sorry to hear about this. But as EvB says, chin up. I hope you get a something of value emotionally out of this. Perhaps a lot stronger.

A dear friend of mine was also in a similar situation and her ex also brought a third party into the marriage, she was able to hold him accountable for her legal costs. You may want to look into that. She also ended up suing this woman for destroying her marriage, because they had a business together and she worked with him. She lost her job, her income, and her credit rating. So it was a financial hardship, pain and suffering she sue this woman for and was able to buy the business out from her ex at a reduced rate as the business was all her ideas.

Good Luck!

OJoy

I don't know if this applies but it might an idea to check if applicable in Canada, i.e. Mistress told to pay wife £6m I guess £6m could really help cheer you up. :)

Maybe read How to Avoid Marrying a Jerk to prevent this happening again.

Protea

Aww that cheered me up a little. I want a shirt that says "No jerks!". Love it!

No even if that law was applicable here I wouldn't think I would go that route. Things were rocky before her and he will make her life miserable anyway. Like I said before about the values thing. We feel differently about religion(eventhough at first he pretended to feel the same that I do), strippers(he think it's fine and I don't his best friend is married to a girl who is proud to be an ex-stripper), education(he thinks it's a waste of time). Everything basically. But I was young and stupid and believed that love conquered all. I still think it does, but now I will be more carefull to differentiate between "eros" kind of love and the others.

The mortgage is in both our names. I am not sure how exactly he plans to keep it since I am almost positive he won't be able to qualify for the mortgage by himself when I get out. I just don't know understand yet how you force someone to pay you out exactly. He told my mom he still wants to live with me just not be married to me(obviously because of financial reasons he is so transparent). So then if he is happy co-owning the house with me forever how do I force him to pay up? That is what the lawyers will help me with I guess. It's such a strange and uncomfortable situation!

Thanks for all the links and advice. I will make work of it!. Thank you for the support as well. I have been pretty quiet on the boards for a while but I appreciate you all.

Hendie

Jammer om te hoor van jou probleem. Hoop regtig julle kan die ding skik. Ek het 'n vriend hier in Calgary wat tans ook dié moeilike waters navigeer. Hy het my genoem dat hulle van Fairway Divorce se dienste gebruik maak. Hulle aanslag is anders as die tradisionele prokureurs s'n, en mag dalk iets wees vir julle om na te kyk.

Sterkte!