debbieD

Banking

NW18
10 hours ago, Hendie said:

We have. In the past. It is useful for storing documents you don't use very often, but which are important to you, like a will for instance. The standard ones are not very big - do ask about that.

Thanks. We’d just like it for document storage and maybe some valuables. Will check size👍

MargueriteE

@Theron

Hi. We uses exchange for free to transfer our money from SA into our RBC account. We opened a account with RBC in SA. Will have to get back to you with the contact person we used in Toronto. Got his info on another stream in the forum. Was a frozen account and had to activate it after we landed. Wasn't too difficult. The bank was somewhat confused about why the account was opened in Toronto as we live in Vancouver (BC). Was sorted out with minimal issues. The biggest issue was that the bank cards get ported to your address so we had to wait for about a week to access the funds. Hope this answers your question. 

hdub07
19 hours ago, MargueriteE said:

@Theron

Hi. We uses exchange for free to transfer our money from SA into our RBC account. We opened a account with RBC in SA. Will have to get back to you with the contact person we used in Toronto. Got his info on another stream in the forum. Was a frozen account and had to activate it after we landed. Wasn't too difficult. The bank was somewhat confused about why the account was opened in Toronto as we live in Vancouver (BC). Was sorted out with minimal issues. The biggest issue was that the bank cards get ported to your address so we had to wait for about a week to access the funds. Hope this answers your question. 

My account with RBC was just opened today. The person to contact is Sergio Fantini at nonresintlbanking(at)rbc(dot)com. He's pretty helpful. It took around a month to do, but that was because I sat on things for 9 days and then it took DHL a week to deliver hard copies of the required documents to him. 

I'm having issues trying to transfer money into the account though. The SWIFT number that RBC gave me (ROYCCAT2) doesn't seem to meet the requirements that FNB has for SWIFT numbers. Anybody had a similar issue? If so, how did you sort it out ?

Reibtseb
1 hour ago, hdub07 said:

My account with RBC was just opened today. The person to contact is Sergio Fantini at nonresintlbanking(at)rbc(dot)com. He's pretty helpful. It took around a month to do, but that was because I sat on things for 9 days and then it took DHL a week to deliver hard copies of the required documents to him. 

I'm having issues trying to transfer money into the account though. The SWIFT number that RBC gave me (ROYCCAT2) doesn't seem to meet the requirements that FNB has for SWIFT numbers. Anybody had a similar issue? If so, how did you sort it out ?

http://www.sacanada.org/topic/21906-fnb-global-account/?do=findComment&comment=178217

hdub07

Thanks @Reibtseb 

MelanieJoy

Please help! We are trying to sort out our paperwork for opening up a RBC account from South Africa and its stated that the documents need to be notarised. Is this something our local bank can do for us or would we have to make an appointment to see a notary? Appreciate any assistance.

NW18

It’s best to get it notarized from a notary public. Usually they charge per specimens or for an hour. I don’t think banks can notarize. We have used a lawyer to notarize.

Reibtseb
26 minutes ago, NW18 said:

It’s best to get it notarized from a notary public. Usually they charge per specimens or for an hour. I don’t think banks can notarize. We have used a lawyer to notarize.

Yea, and if you get a nice one, they might do it for free (like Motla-Conradie did for me in Pretoria-East).

MelanieJoy
14 hours ago, Reibtseb said:

Yea, and if you get a nice one, they might do it for free (like Motla-Conradie did for me in Pretoria-East).

Thanks everyone :) 

Theron
On 11/6/2018 at 3:45 PM, hdub07 said:

Thanks @hdub07. We ended up opening our accounts when we got to Canada. It was however quite a mission because their banking system works quote differently from SA's. It's frankly outdated because they still use cheques quite often, have seperate debit, credit and cheque cards and you wait for everything to come through the normal postal service which has been strike for weeks now.

We've been here almost 4 weeks now and we went to the bank on Day 1 to open everything. I only got my debit card 2 days ago (after reordering it because the first one got lost in the mail), my credit card a week ago and I'm still waiting for my cheques.

Patience is the name of the game!

Nelline
3 hours ago, Theron said:

Thanks @hdub07. We ended up opening our accounts when we got to Canada. It was however quite a mission because their banking system works quote differently from SA's. It's frankly outdated because they still use cheques quite often, have seperate debit, credit and cheque cards and you wait for everything to come through the normal postal service which has been strike for weeks now.

We've been here almost 4 weeks now and we went to the bank on Day 1 to open everything. I only got my debit card 2 days ago (after reordering it because the first one got lost in the mail), my credit card a week ago and I'm still waiting for my cheques.

Patience is the name of the game!

I quite like that cheques can still be trusted as payment methods. Unlike countries with extremely high levels of fraud, we can still use cheques in Canada. I also like how I can scan a cheque in with my phone or ipad and it gets credited to my account right away.

• Like 1

Nettie

On 11/28/2018 at 2:33 PM, Theron said:

...........have seperate debit, credit and cheque cards.......

This sounds mysterious. You mean that you only have one card for everything in SA now? A debit card will be the same as a cheque card and a debit card with the visa logo on, you can use as a credit card. How about signing up for applepay or something to ease your frustration.  I'm of the kind to not trust that kind of thing and will gladly take your cheque.

Theron
On 11/28/2018 at 6:15 PM, Nelline said:

I quite like that cheques can still be trusted as payment methods. Unlike countries with extremely high levels of fraud, we can still use cheques in Canada. I also like how I can scan a cheque in with my phone or ipad and it gets credited to my account right away.

The idea of cheques is fine. The slight frustration that comes with it the 'hold' sometimes. I also deposited cheques recently that showed as being available immediately but the bank actually only let's you withdraw $100 until the cheque has cleared. I guess it's a case of 'to each his own' :)

Theron
44 minutes ago, Nettie said:

This sounds mysterious. You mean that you only have one card for everything in SA now? A debit card will be the same as a cheque card and a debit card with the visa logo on, you can use as a credit card. How about signing up for applepay or something to ease your frustration.  I'm of the kind to not trust that kind of thing and will gladly take your cheque.

yeah so one only has one card now (it depends on the bank though). You can still choose to have different cards if you want but it isn't necessary. The card looks like a credit card, has all the security of it but when you insert the chip or swipe it it gives the options of selecting whatever method you want (credit, cheque account, savings). You can use it for online purchases etc all in one. 

Apple Pay has made my life easier already so I'm really happy to use it here because it isn't available in SA yet. 

• Like 1

Nettie
9 minutes ago, Theron said:

The idea of cheques is fine. The slight frustration that comes with it the 'hold' sometimes. I also deposited cheques recently that showed as being available immediately but the bank actually only let's you withdraw $100 until the cheque has cleared. I guess it's a case of 'to each his own' :)

I think it also depends on the bank and specific account, including your daily limit. You may be able to make those arrangements from within the bank. It may be set very secure but it can be changed, especially in person, or after a few months of direct deposits. Everything is just a new learning curve. Enjoy. :)