Sign in to follow this  
Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

White Rock, BC

Sideline
Took some photos of a house that is for sale in White Rock recently.

Thought you'd enjoy some of the images of the view from the home : http://redmaplepublishing.smugmug.com/Real...825296838_js3fQ

Ingrid,

as always your pictures are superb. A hobby or not you have a keen eye to catch that that the casual eye will not see or imagine could be captured with such artistic beauty.

One thing I do wonder though, look at the house interior, is the lack of natural light.

I know absolutely nothing of White Rock, but have lived in my share of fishing and coastal towns. The size of the windows in many of the rooms seem quite small as opposed to what could be used to insert a much larger window to capture not only the superb sights of the horizons and neighbouring gardens, but obviously would let it ample amounts of natural light, even though the overcast skies could be dreary and grey the natural light element would do so much more for this home.

Is this a typical building style in that area or is it more found in the older houses built a few years to a decade or 10 ago?

Maybe the winter or summer storms that come off the bay and sea are stronger than usual thus making the use of larger windows a little less practical? I know one town we lived in in SA cape province the same effect of smaller windows, but that was due to the fact that when that wind came up at certain times of the year you were almost guaranteed to have a window or two either broken by the force of wind or debris picked up by the wind and if windows were any bigger than a certain size, especially the sliding doors and even my parents then steel roll-up garage doors, they would literally be blow right out of the tracks. The fun we had trying to get those roll-up doors back in the tracks after a storm like that. Eventually we even got to attaching chains to the doors and anchoring them to the pegs concreted into the driveway to prevent that from happening.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind, encouraging words, Sideline.

Means a lot to me.

With re. to your question: we lived in White Rock for a few months and definitely had bigger windows.

Plus friends of ours who still live there, have huge windows with gorgeous views.

This could have been a bit of an older house.

Winter sunset in White Rock, BC.