Sign in to follow this  
Jacky

Web hosts and Shopping Carts

Jacky

Hi Everyone,

I got such great advice from you all the last time I had computer related questions, I thought who better to ask the following...

Well, I'm looking to start an online business. I don't have a clue about web hosts, shopping carts, cms' and all those other fancy names I've been reading about.

So... what I'm looking for today, is suggestions on great, reliable and easy to use (I really don't know anything about maintaining a website) web hosts. I will also need a shopping cart. (I've been looking at "pappashop"... is it any good and what would I use them for... web hosting and shopping cart?)

Oh, and what is bandwidth versus disk space. I read about unlimited bandwidth, but limited disk space...

Also, will I require this cms thing? What is it exactly?

If there's anything else I should know, which there probably is... please fill me in.

I still need to register my domain name too.

I'm "all ears"...

PS: If anyone has suggestions/tips/advice regarding online businesses as well, that would be great.

Cheers,

Jacky

Edited by Jacky

Paisley

You may have a look at coffeecup.com. They have a shopping cart software that is easy to setup and there is a trial version to use. I have a few of there software and it works for the people like me that does not always know all the tricks in the book.

Jacky

Thanks Rustig... I'll check it out.

Jacky

Rustig,

I had a look at coffecup.com.

Is it a website for building your shopping cart from scratch?

Just so I understand... is a website template just your front page of your website, and then your other pages are pages from your shopping cart (are the pages that people view your product on)?

Cheers

Paisley
Rustig,

I had a look at coffecup.com.

Is it a website for building your shopping cart from scratch?

Just so I understand... is a website template just your front page of your website, and then your other pages are pages from your shopping cart (are the pages that people view your product on)?

Cheers

Hi,

I am not a "web tech" expert. Self taught! :)

I know there are free shopping cart software available, but they need MySQL and a bit of tech know-how to setup. Coffeecup Shopping Cart setup the whole shopping site for you. Products, Design, Shopping Cart and Checkout with Paypal or Google Checkout. You may purchase addons to make the themes etc. I suggest you download the free trial and have a look. I take it you already have a hosting company?

With this company you only buy the software once and never have to pay for any upgrades as long as you live. I own a few of there programs. makes life easy for people like me.

As said not the best expert here! Let me know how you get along!

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Coffeecup looks great, Rustig.

I passed on the link to my son as well.