Sign in to follow this  
Jacky

Good Hacker/Spyware/Malware/Data etc. protection

Jacky

Hello,

What would you recommend for computer protection... from Hackers, people being able to read your passwords and private information you punch onto the internet and on your computer, spyware and all the other things that I don't know exist or know the name of?

Thanks

Dedré

Avast. And it's free. My husband is in IT and we have it on our computers.

http://www.avast.com/en-ca/index

Jacky
Avast. And it's free. My husband is in IT and we have it on our computers.

http://www.avast.com/en-ca/index

Hi Dedre',

The free avast says it doesn't protect against "theft of your personal data".

What does it mean by that it "lets you surf the web safely in the avast sandbox"? (it says it on the link you sent me)

Merv

AVG is pretty good (and free)

Dedré
Hi Dedre',

The free avast says it doesn't protect against "theft of your personal data".

What does it mean by that it "lets you surf the web safely in the avast sandbox"? (it says it on the link you sent me)

It checks the computer for viruses and spyware that tries to enter your computer. I know it sounds weird and strange and its all confusing... but it really is a good program. Even when I end up at dodgy sites (accidently) Avast warns me not to open it... and I close it immediately. AVG will do the same. We had AVG too, and switched to Avast, because AVG was too consuming on processing power.

CharleneK

I'm very happy with Webroot.

Charlene

Guest Norman and karen

Hey Jacky,

http://www.techsupportalert.com/#5

Go to this site and download SUPERAntiSpyware...this is a very effective tool used in conjunction with your anti virus. Its free!!

:)

Top of the list once again is SuperAntiSpyware, which successfully detected and cleaned 121 threats on my test system. A fairly lightweight download and simple installation (5.99 MB) mean that this is not a burdensome product. If anything, the general package, whilst aesthetically similar, is improved since last time, managing to detect and clean after a single scan rather than the two scans required last time. A reboot to complete cleaning was still required, though this is a minor inconvenience, and required by most packages. If I had to raise a critisicm, it's that the freeware version still installs a startup item which doesn't actually do anything at all. In the paid version, it loads the always on protection which is not available in the freeware version. This minor annoyance aside, it remains my top recommendation.

I have installed this on numerous clients PC's with very good results...but remember to use it in conjunction with your regular anti virus ( Avast, AVG, Avira, Microsoft Essentials, etc)

Edited by Norman and karen

Hendie

Get a Mac ... Just sayin' :)

Jacky

Hendie... :)

Thanks for all the suggestions Merv, Charlene Norman and karen, Dedre' and Hendie... much appreciated.

Dedre' (or whoever else can answer this)... so does Avast stop people from being able to steal (and see) passwords and user account information you punch onto the internet?

Guest Norman and karen
Get a Mac ... Just sayin' ;)

:):lol: good machines....

Dedré
Dedre' (or whoever else can answer this)... so does Avast stop people from being able to steal (and see) passwords and user account information you punch onto the internet?

No, but no free software will give that to you... unless TechSuopportAlert from Norman and Karen, can assist to. This is where you have to be savvy and take ownership yourself (even if you feel you know little). ONLY type sensitive information in where the site you do it at is trusted. Never provide it to someone in an e-mail. Avast and AVG will warn you sites are not trusted and the information you will type in is not encrypted. But if you still go in and give sensitive information, you will have to learn the hard way. Banks normally have a very safe website. But if you have spyware on your computer (I regularly check because I just don't know) then you might be at risk.

An encryption of your information happens when you type stuff in and send it via your computer to that website's server. Software on that server takes all the "packets" of information, scramble it, and send it in a different order to the site, and ensure it does not get hacked by someone... that site will then reassemble it in the right order and verify it in some way. That is what Verisign does... the company that bought Mark Shuttleworth out.

At the end of your computer, you have to take responsibility in what you provide to whom. You have to make sure your virus software runs constantly on your computer, that it updates regularly and listen to it when it tells you not to go places.

Henie, I want the apple, but I have a the pear! :)

Dedré

Jacky, I just got a great example of what you are concerned about. We are looking for a puppy at the moment. But we are trying to do it via a rescue society or people who want to surrender their pet due to circumstances. So I went to this website, which is harmless: Canuk.ca. There was an add on there for a FREE puppy, and I investigated. This was the e-mail I got back:

Hello,

Thanks for the interest and love for our lovely and well raised puppies we do have four very cute babies of both sex.They are properly vaccinated and raised with lots of love,care and attention from me and my children.They are 10weeks old and are very ready to go to their new loving and caring homes now.They are 2.8lbs of weight and will not be more than 6.5lbs when fully grown.They are very friendly especially to kids and other house pets as they were raised alongside them..They are of very outstanding and calm personalities that will seal your hearts away.Very obedient and will do just what you want them to do...

They are already house broken,potty and toilet trained,They are

pedigree and very sociable,They are vet checked constantly as my

sister happens to be a vet and are current on all their vaccines and worming.They are KUSA registered and likes apartment life.We do have pure white pure bred puppies which are calm and of wonderful personalities that you will appreciate.They have all their papers and will be coming alongside them including a year health guarantee,vaccination booklet,hand book,health certificate,registration papers,travel crate,some sample food stuffs and food menu so you have no problem taking care of them..

They are ready for any good and caring home who can assure us a great and wonderful life for them as that just all what we want from them,we are giving them out not becos they are having some problems or we badly need money but just becos we have relocated to a non pet apartment and my new job is asking a lot from me.So i will be grateful to know a little about you guys and have you ever had any pet before?We do provide after sale support and care.Where are you located?How soon will you like to have the baby home. Get back to me for more and pictures.

A Prosperous New Year!!

Things to notice here are:

spelling mistakes,

grammar mistakes

everything is just too good to be true... all for free... and the peron's sister happens to be a vet.

and the part in red where they ask all my personal information.

Notice that they:

1.) didn't use my name in the start of the e-mail, this is an auto response sent to many people.

2.) talk about after sale support and care... yet the puppies are for free.... makes you think... "WHAT THE?..." right? The next thing they would want is my bank details and personal info.

Even though this seem harmless, don't for one moment think it is. This person might sell my info and get lots of money for it. Also, the person who buys it, uses it to send more spam and stuff.

I am not stressed at all...

1.) I have a G-mail account, that does not forward unknown senders to my inbox...

2.) I am able to block this sender now, and will never be bothered by that scammer ever.

One of our friends recently bought a new living room set. So they sold their old one... they advertised on Kajiji, and was contacted by a scammer. He wanted to give them a cheque for the old one, pick it up, and leave. By the time the cheque bounced, he would have been gone with their old sofa. Its all well known scams, and these people pose in the most innocent of roles, to get your info. They don't need to hack it from a website, they trust that you are innocent enough to provide it freely to them.

When something makes you feel uncomfortable, trust your instincts. You are normally right. This is a perfect example of the fact that virus software can not protect you completely... not even the best software. If you still provide information to people you do not know, you can still land in hot water. You have to be alert and aware. Empower yourself with information (like you are doing now) and take advice from trusted sources...

Alwyn

Jacky it depends on what you mean with "stop people from being able to steal (and see) passwords and user account information you punch onto the internet? "

Lets look at some of the vulnerabilities:

1) Access to your local computer. Unless you have your computer set up to ask for user name and password (one only you know), it will be possible for a 'legal' user of the computer to see where you go on the net and also get access to sites with your users, especially if you are one of those people who let your browser log in for you...

2) Keyloggers, spyware and viruses - Run Avast/Avira/AVG etc to try and keep your computer free of these culprits. AVG has become very bloated, like Dedre says Avast is very good as is Avira.

3) Browsers - STOP using IE, it is crap like most Microsoft software. If you are paranoid, don't let your browser store your username and password unless you feel that your computer is secure enough. Maybe use a master password to protect this data.

4) When a site says that it is using encryption/SSL, check that your browser agrees by looking at the certificates etc.

5) If you are unsure about a site, then never use a username and password that you already use for sites you trust. You can only protect yourself as far as your computer and the communication to the other site goes. You cannot protect any data you enter on the site.

Jacky

Dedre', thanks for the example. It's really sad what people do.

Alwyn, thanks for all the great information.

Merv

Just a quick update to this thread, some very good (and free) software is called Sophos (also available for Mac)