Sign in to follow this  
Jacky

Free Webmail

Jacky

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good free webmail to use.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Merv

Gmail is great, it talks to the likes of Outlook, windows mail clients etc. Go to mail.google.com and sign up there (it is free and loads of storage space too) It also has some cool features like online chat, video chat etc, I like it

hennie_dup

Yes, I agree with gmail as first choice, though the way it works take a little getting used to if you work directly on the web.

I also have a Hotmail account that works well, and a Yahoo account that I use very seldomly, but seems reliable enough.

Jacky

Thanks for the replies.

I did have a "gmail" account, but kept getting a message that implied someone else was using my account, so I stopped using it.

If I recall correctly, "Hotmail" recently had issues with someone stealing passwords or something like that.

Kind of puts me off wanting to use either.

Are there any other good one's?

Adele

Gmail has so far been the best. Yahoo, if you don't use it to often then you loose it, much like hotmail. Yahoo has also had a lot of issues - well at least my account.

Had only one problem with Gmail, that also suggest I had someone else using my account, and yes, I had a hacker, and changed my password and all the problems stopped.

Zonnenshine

A really good free account that comes with online storage is inbox.com, we have been very happy with our account :)

Jacky

Thanks for the replies.

Zonnenshine, I tried inbox.com yesterday, but you have to download something... "Email notifier" I think it's called... is that what you had to do to? After I did, something kept popping up requesting permission to access my computer... it made me nervous, so I uninstalled it.

Edited by Jacky

Dedré

Jacky, I have a g-mail account too. Hubby is in IT, and most of his friends too. They all recommend and use G-mail. You don't need to go on to the Internet to receive your e-mail. You can forward it to your desktop computer at home. That is how we are doing it. Their spam filters are just AWESOME! They regularly have new features that you can use and so on. It isn't difficult to use, and it really is safe. The problem you had with it, might now be sorted out. In all the years we had g-mail, I can remember 3 times that they had technical problems. Maybe if you feel like you can gather some more 2nd-time-user-patience with G-mail, you could give them a 2nd try? But only if you can. I hate it to use stuff I don't trust and isn't user friendly and breaks all the time. I can tell you it is good. I am happy.

Just another selling point for G-mail. We as moderators all have a SACanada e-mail address. Hendie (who is also in IT), did the hosting through G-mail.

Hendie

I would wholeheartedly recommend GMail! You should create a new account, and just make sure you choose a strong password (and GMail will actually indicate to you how strong your password is with a graphic bar) and you should be good. Google also recently changed their mail service to use HTTPS, which is in essence a secure "tunnel" that your browser uses to connect to the GMail server(s). That means that all your email (and your password during login) is sent securely and cannot be "snooped". GMail also has probably THE best spam filters in the industry - I cannot remember when last a spam message actually made it to my inbox, and I have ... SEVEN GMail accounts.

Enjoy!

Nirak

I have a hotmail, yahoo and gmail account. The gmail one I've only had for a couple of months, hotmail and yahoo I've had since I started using the internet, so 13 years now that I've been using those two accounts. My hotmail account got hacked once, just changed the password to something a lot stronger (but heck, it took them 12 years to hack that one), yahoo never had any issues. The spam/junkmail filters in hotmail works pretty well.

I think the security of any of the web-based email accounts depends on your password....

Jacky

Thanks so much everyone.

The thing about gmail as well is... I send emails to a bunch of people at once (family and friends who live around the world) and if I recall correctly, you can't select a bunch of email addresses at once or something like that... correct me if I'm wrong... but I remember not liking it when I was using it for the fact it wasn't easy to pull the email addresses.

Do you think it would be alright to go back and use the gmail account I created before and change my password or should I start from scratch? Will it be safe if I use my old account, but change the password?

Jacky

So... I just changed the password on my gmail account... but I don't know... I still don't feel all that comfy about using it.

Has anyone else had experience with "inbox.com" or heard anything about it?

Oh, and I worked out the pulling of addresses thing I was talking about above.

Edited by Jacky

Dedré

Jacky, you can send to multiple receivers. I do it all the time. My husband uses g-mail's online services, and he sends to many people too. I don't want to be disrespectful to the "indbox.com" suggestion. I don't know that service at all, nor have I used anything else (except for Hotmail) before. The only thing that worries me is that connection something wants to make to your computer remotely... Can only be spy-ware... or something similar. I am not comfortable with it either. That is worse than having a password problem, since (like others said) you could change the strength of your password, but you can not control the spy-ware.

Go read HERE about Inbox.com

Go read HERE, HERE and HERE about G-mail.

HERE is a comparison for you about free e-mail services available.

Normally when I make my choices, I base it on what the professionals recommend. All the IT people I know, use G-mail. Good luck with your decision.

Hendie
The thing about gmail as well is... I send emails to a bunch of people at once (family and friends who live around the world) and if I recall correctly, you can't select a bunch of email addresses at once or something like that... correct me if I'm wrong... but I remember not liking it when I was using it for the fact it wasn't easy to pull the email addresses.
You're wrong: If you go to your contacts in GMail you can select one or more, or everyone in your contact list and send them an email. This functionality has always been there. As an aside, when you do that, please move all the selected addresses from the To: field to the Bcc: field - you don't want all your recipients to get the email addresses of ALL the others that you are mailing to. This is a little-known Internet etiquette rule that is mostly overlooked!
Do you think it would be alright to go back and use the gmail account I created before and change my password or should I start from scratch? Will it be safe if I use my old account, but change the password?
Perfectly safe!

Jacky

Thanks Dedre' and Hendie.

I did work out the email address thing (see my post above)... thanks.

Hendie, I always Bcc people, but thank you for the tip.

Thank you to everyone for posting their suggestions.

Jacky

Oh, a couple more questions about "gmail"...

Do they only store your emails for a certain period of time, or can you leave your emails in your inbox forever and they'll never be deleted?

Also, are the "gmail" people able to read your messages or is it really private? ... Do they review them before they're sent out?

PS: The fact my gmail was hacked into... does that mean my whole computer and private information (on computer and on the internet) is at risk and might have been accessed?

Cheers

Edited by Jacky

Dedré
I did work out the email address thing (see my post above)... thanks.
It was due to this statement that I gave you the comparisons with regards to G-mail and Inbox.com. They were provided to help you understand what you get when from the two.
Do they only store your emails for a certain period of time, or can you leave your emails in your inbox forever and they'll never be deleted?
You decide what gets stored and what not. It is not time based, its got an alloted amount of space you can use. It is a lot, and you delete what you don't need only.
Also, are the "gmail" people able to read your messages or is it really private? ... Do they review them before they're sent out?
Its private, unless you give them reason to be investigated, as per their privacy statement when you sign on for an account. You can read that again, just search for it on the Internet.
PS: The fact my G-mail was hacked into... does that mean my whole computer and private information (on computer and on the internet) is at risk and might have been accessed?
No, your g-mail account is on a server provided by the company that supply the space and software. You connect to it via the Internet. The hackers were on their servers... which is somewhere in the USA and other places... nobody knows. Unless you have unknowingly downloaded spyware, that will sit on your computer directly... due to dogy sights you might have visited... your computer is not compromised.

Jacky

Thanks everyone

Hendie

Google is into information analysis. I am pretty sure they watch email usage patterns. I would hope that their datagathering and statistics gathering is anonymous and only concentrate on demographics and the like, and not to identify who wrote what to whom. But I can assure you nothing is free without good reason. :)

Jacky

So you're saying they can possibly read the contents of our emails???? I don't write anything majorly (sp?) private, but still, I like my privacy. How uncomfortable.

Hendie

I doubt that there are actual "people" doing the reading, but rather "bots" which are programmed to gather statistics and usage patterns and such. So you need not be worried that there are hordes of operators sitting at computers and reading millions and millions of emails with the hope of finding something saucy. :)

Jacky

lol @ Hendie

Dedré

Here is a cute joke for you:

During a recent password audit at a company, it was found that a

blonde receptionist was using the following password:

"MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofySacramento"

When asked why she had such a long password, she said she was told

that it had to be at least 8 characters long and include at least one

capital.

To give you a guide for a good password. It needs to be 8 characters long, and include at least 4 digits. A good guide is either your mother or your grandmother's surname (don't tell anyone) and then your year of birth or your month and day. Like for instance.

If your mom was a Venter before she got married, and you were born on the 1st of January 1962 you can:

0101Venter1962

Venter01011962

1962Venter0101

or just

0101Venter

Venter1962

Venter0101

1962Venter

All of this will be extremely difficult to hack.

Jacky

Thanks for the tip Dedre'. :)