Sign in to follow this  
Dedré

Calgary Diary II

dlam

Edmonton looked like that last Friday. Yesterday there was only one tiny little spot in my back yard that still had snow on. It should be gone with the rain of today. However rain will change into snow tonight and then it is snow the whole day tomorrow apparently and my backyard will be all white again. I wish it will just rain and not snow anymore. I want to start working on my new flower bed. Snow this time of the year is extremely heavy because it is so full of water.

Dedré

You are talking. I am SO ready for summer to start. But then May long weekend is still on its way. This year we have a visit from family in SA and lots to look forward to. Summer needs to get here because my garden needs lots of work and my body needs to turn brown and slim :P . I am itching to get out!

Wolverine

And today the sun is shining as if it never snowed last night... :lol:

Bruce, we live in Auburn Bay. Where you choose WAY north, we chose WAY south. Both of us will be living on the edge of the city.

We are HERE.

I see. It's really at the other end of the city, still beautiful though

Dedré

3357.gif Spring 2012 3357.gif

In theory this might be true, but I can assure you all Calgaryans will not agree. Even yesterday we had snow. Although not allot, it still remains. We are the only province in Canada battling the snow monster while others are enjoying signs of spring and lots of sun (I hope)! The only signs of spring in Calgary are the few tulips starting to show their faces ...

tulpe.jpg

... and buds on the trees.

buds2.jpgbuds1.jpg

Yeah... I know... you have to REALLY kind of LOOK for it... The first one spotting the buds wins a special prize :P ! Very depressing if you are ready to pull out your swimsuit for the last two months. :cry:

This year we decided to "treat" our lawn to a special aerator service. Something completely new to us. You can do it yourself and it will take you about 4 hours to do the back lawn, 2 to do the front lawn, and minutes when you rent an aerator. The experience is something out of the ordinary because it looks like a thousand dogs have pooped on your lawn in seconds!

This is how manual labour looks like:

Manual.jpg

This is how a rental (or special garden service looks like):

lawn-aerator.jpg

Prices for renting are:

4 Hours: $75.00

1 Day: $150.00

1 Week: $675.00

4 Weeks: $2,025.00

This is the reasoning behind it: READ HERE

aeration.gif

This is how our special "treat" to our lawn looks like:

Airrating1.jpgAirrating2.jpg

lawn-aeration.jpgAeration%20plugs.jpg

And no... that is not poop he is holding! :lol:

I am hoping other Canadians had better success with spring.

Hendie

Oulike plasing Dedré! Mens vergeet met tyd wat vir nuwelinge 'n aardigheid kan wees!

Dedré

Dankie Hendie. Wat het van jou hoed geword? Just wondering...

dlam

This is exactly what I plan for tomorrow. It will be me and my manual tool. Luckily my lawn is very small. Then if I have time I will remove the lwan where my new flowersbeds will be and put in the edging so that I can be ready to put in some new soil and plants come middle May.

My tulips are also only now breaking ground.

Dedré

I spoke to a friend last night who also lives in Calgary. Her tulips have been in their beds for 5 years and are already a foot out of the ground! :( I am so glad to hear its not only my tulips taking so long. I felt rather alone in this one.

Hubby is raking the lawn this weekend and fertilizing. We will also make a few new beds for some flowers. I would love to see your pictures.

Today we visited the Model Train Show. Was pretty awesome. Will post pictures soon.

Dedré

Last weekend we went to the Supertrain Show. This year they had it in the Subway Arena. It was BIG and great to see all ages enjoying the show.

My husband's father got him interested in model trains when he was still young... and the hobby is still on fire within the man. All scales of trains were represented at the show. I took some pictures and realized afterwards I didn't take one of the show itself, just of the trains. So I apologize for only capturing some detail. You have to appreciate some of the detail on these trains and the scenery:

Look at the rust on the containers:

IMG_0135.jpg

Graffiti and rust:

IMG_0147.jpg

A billboard with an add on it:

IMG_0146.jpg

People playing ball:

IMG_0131.jpg

A camp site:

IMG_0130.jpgIMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

Legoland was there too:

The C-Train:

IMG_0113.jpg

A station and buildings in the background:

IMG_0110.jpg

Other detail that some people did:

Graffiti that can be bought to put on your trains :lol: :

IMG_0103.jpgIMG_0100.jpg

Some tiny compressed rubble you can buy or make:

IMG_0102.jpg

A bridge that is a replica of the one going through Jasper National Park:

IMG_0149.jpg

A general scene of a busy rail line:

IMG_0127.jpg

I apologize that the photos were all taken with a cell phone. We didn't take the camera. We had too much to take with us as it was. Hubby just wanted to spend all our savings that day. There were so many of the shops and everyone had specials. There was even a display of a coffee table (that you could order) with a train scene in it. When people come to visit you can switch it on and the train would go round and round in it... It took us half a day to walk through the whole display and was really interesting. Since there were lots of parents (other people) and children, a few children got lost in the building, but were quickly reunited with their parents. There are a few built-in operating vendors who sold food. Was really nice. Kettle corn (sorry no photo) was also for sale and there was a small train taking the children for a ride. All and all a good day. I should have taken more photos of the show itself. Next time I promise!

Dedré

Made biltong again this week. My first batch was SO salty. But it was marinating too long. This batch came out too salty as well. Next time there will be WAY less salt! <_<

Shans

We have nowbeen in Calgary for 7 weeks and all I can say is that is has been fantastic! Wehave been so blessed with things just falling into place for us. We have founda great place to stay whilst we are finding our feet, our dog / child has flown over tomeet us, and my husband has been accepted to the University of Calgary (withfull funding) to complete his Master’s degree in Chemistry! All that is left isfor me to find a job. rolleyes.gif

I have to say thatthis whole transition was made SOOOOOO much easier by an ex-South African familywho was gracious enough to collect us from the airport, give us a place to stayon our arrival and help us with all the intricacies that come with moving tothe other end of the world. They truly made things so much easier for us – we werespoilt! I cannot begin to thank them enough for all that they did for us.

Things here aredefinitely different, make no mistake. For example, you need to take your shoesoff at the door when you enter someone’s home. I even attended an interviewlast week dressed in my Sunday best and I had to leave my shoes at the door! Iwas absolutely horrified to say the least…. I kept looking at my feet thinkingwho the hell has an interview with bare feet (hehe)??? I have also climbed in the passenger side of the car on more than one occasion when I should be driving (hehe). Seriously though, It’s great learning howthings are done here – we are enjoying the experience of it all J.

For all of youwho are on your way over – prepare for a wonderful adventure!!! I have no doubtthat if you come with a good attitude, an open mind and a good sense of humour,you will love every second!!!

Shans wink.gif

• Like 1

Jules

Welcome! Yeah taking shoes off is an adjustment but I've never heard of that for a job interview.

Jeanne

Hi Shans, we arrived in Toronto late yesterday afternoon and still can't believe we are finally here, gosh what a long flight; 24h via Dubai! Last night we did our 1st shopping at Loblaws and just loved the variety! It's one thing reading about Canada but surely so much more intense living it and we were pleasantly surprised by how beautiful the Beaches is! Love the cherry blossoms! Can't wait for today and the weeks to come!

Jeanne

Made biltong again this week. My first batch was SO salty. But it was marinating too long. This batch came out too salty as well. Next time there will be WAY less salt! <_<

My brother in Boston also makes his own biltong, will definitely try along with boerewors!

Dedré

Shans and Jeanine! Welcome to Canada. You guys are so welcome here. Where in Calgary and Toronto are you guys staying at the moment?

Now I see why you are moving to Toronto. Any other family in America. It makes it SO much easier.

Trevor&Anelle

Welcome to Canada!

Wolverine

@Jeanne. Welcome to Canada. How was the trip?? and the landing process at the airport??

@shans. Welcome. Tell us more about Calgary. It is also my likely destination

Dedré

And it's snowing again in Calgary. Yesterday we were all wearing shorts and enjoying the sunshine. We planted a tree outside that I was growing in-house the whole winter long. I don't think it will survive... darn.

debbieD

Welcome to Canada! :) We landed in Toronto in 1996 ... such a long time ago. We also lived in Calgary for 7 years ... left 6 years ago, and thinking of going back, at least, for the summers, since I have gorgeous grandchildren there.

Enjoy the adventure! And, it definitely is that. :DB)

Shans
Welcome! Yeah taking shoes off is an adjustment but I've never heard of that for a job interview.

I know!!! It was really odd!!! All part of the experience I suppose rolleyes.gif

Shans

Hi Shans, we arrived in Toronto late yesterday afternoon and still can't believe we are finally here, gosh what a long flight; 24h via Dubai! Last night we did our 1st shopping at Loblaws and just loved the variety! It's one thing reading about Canada but surely so much more intense living it and we were pleasantly surprised by how beautiful the Beaches is! Love the cherry blossoms! Can't wait for today and the weeks to come!

Oh wow. You guys must be exhausted. We were in a strange kind of daze when we landed. It was unreal to finally be a place that we had waited so long to finally get to. I hope the experience is as positive for you as it has been (so far) for us. Good luck!!! And enjoy every second rolleyes.gif

Shans

Shans and Jeanine! Welcome to Canada. You guys are so welcome here. Where in Calgary and Toronto are you guys staying at the moment?

Hi Dedre,

We are staying in Sandstone Valley in the North West. We found a nice walk-out basement to rent where the rent is more affordable until we are more settled work wise. It is perfect for us as it has a nice backyard for our dog. Where about are you situated?

Shans

Welcome to Canada! :) We landed in Toronto in 1996 ... such a long time ago. We also lived in Calgary for 7 years ... left 6 years ago, and thinking of going back, at least, for the summers, since I have gorgeous grandchildren there.

Enjoy the adventure! And, it definitely is that. :DB)

Thanks Debbie,

Everyone has made us feel so welcome that they are making the transition so much easier! Grandchildren are a brilliant reason to get back to Calgary!!! They grow up far to quickly that I am sure that you do not want to miss a second!

Shans

@Jeanne. Welcome to Canada. How was the trip?? and the landing process at the airport??

@shans. Welcome. Tell us more about Calgary. It is also my likely destination

So far, we have loved every second. Calgary is so close to the mountains that you can go as often as you like without having to travel for miles - and we really do love the mountains. The city itself is also great. It's new and vibrant with a really nice vibe about it. The cherry on top is how friendly everyone is. Being the mistrusting South African's that we are, the friendliness appeared a little odd at first. We did not know whether it was for real or not. We are, however, discovering that people here appear to genuinely friendly. I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

When do you plan to make the big move?

Dedré

Hi Dedre,

We are staying in Sandstone Valley in the North West. We found a nice walk-out basement to rent where the rent is more affordable until we are more settled work wise. It is perfect for us as it has a nice backyard for our dog. Where about are you situated?

We are on the way opposite side of the city. Way at the end of the SE.

Calgary really have friendly people, except when they drive! :lol: