Sign in to follow this  
Dedré

Calgary Diary II

Dedré

* Snow 2009, 3rd Try this season! *

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

ththsnow.gifththsnow.gifththsnow.gifththsnow.gifththsnow.gifththsnow.gif

Yesterday the snow tried for a 3rd time this season. Since Oct 16th, the snow threatened to dump its fury on us like last winter. But this year the Chinook winds (which means snow eater) have been eating the snow the next day... and voila... almost like summer in winter... We think we might finally be able to pull out the toboggan (sled... not like Santa's) this year. Let's hold thumbs. i-google is throwing out this forecast for the week:

Forecast011209.jpg

So lets hope the snow stays and at the end of the week we can toboggan to our heart's content! Whoohoo! In the mean time we were keeping ourselves busy with visiting friends and having friends over for dinner, setting up the Christmas tree and lights (sorry, no photos of the lights outside yet... we are still building our stash of lights):

Decorations2009.jpgKersboom2009.jpg

This tree was put up for the first time this year, but was bought at half price (after Christmas sales at 50%) already last year. During my exams it took a lot of resistance and self-control to not put it up. I have a rule: Decorations only show face on Dec 1st every year... but since this is our first ever Christmas tree, I couldn't wait... I pulled out everything half way through my exams and draped it all over the carpet, which was a huge mistake... as it brought on the itch even more to start building the tree. Finally I couldn't take it any more... and the Sunday after my exams it just had to go up. A week before Dec 1st! :ilikeit: We are also trying to get gifts in order, cleaning the house, shovelling the drive way (had some help from the neighbour last night. When Charl arrived home she was more than half way through with our drive way! Naughty but true...), AND... Playing in the snow building snow "people" :lol: and so on... and so on...

Frosty-1.jpg

Needless to say, Frosty was so sturdy, he stood there even after all the snow melted! Frosty was a decent guy. Quiet neighbour... until his melting death. We had not complaints. Interesting how heavy snow gets when you start rolling it into a ball... I am sure you can do a lot of harm with a small ball. This is the picture outside currently:

Buurt1.jpg ... Buurt2.jpg

Buurt3.jpg

Which started off like this at first...

FirstSnow4.jpg ... FirstSnow3.jpg

FirstSnow2.jpgFirstSnow1.jpg

Snow pictures are always fun and easy. They never seem to fail or come out wrong. The winter is my favourite time of the year. And if the snow didn't fall, then it wasn't winter yet! No matter what mother nature says or does.

This is our life now. We enjoy it.

• Like 1

rockwooder

Julle lucky mense - baie meer sneeu al as wat ons het. Gister die 1ste bietjie gehad, vanoggend nog daar gewees maar nou heeltemal weg. Ook mal oor die winter hierdie kant.

Dedré
Julle lucky mense - baie meer sneeu al as wat ons het. Gister die 1ste bietjie gehad, vanoggend nog daar gewees maar nou heeltemal weg. Ook mal oor die winter hierdie kant.
:ilikeit: It has almost all melted by now... argh! But the weather looks up!

Weather2.jpg... but I think the toboggan will still have to stay housebound though... :lol: Last night I saw that they have switched on the lights at the community house. We will go and take pictures one evening.

• Like 1

Dedré

There are two events I am really looking forward to this month (excluding Christmas and Boxing day Sales)

Dec 12th; Zoolights:

Zoolights.jpg

Once the sun goes down, the Calgary Zoo gets transformed into one of Western Canada’s largest light displays with over 1.5 million lights in the shapes of zoo animals, holiday icons and even the Calgary Flames symbol. Kids can chat live with Santa Claus in the North Pole with “SantaVision,” or head over to specially designed plays areas like Snowball Alley and Snigloo, where they can make their own igloo. Be prepared to bundle up—it usually is cold, though you can warm up next to their on-site fire pits and sip hot chocolate. Nov 27 – Jan 3, 2010, $8 adults, $5 kids.

Dec 13th; Santa Claus Parade 2009:Rudolph.gif

scp.jpg

This parade is held across the whole of Canada. But it comes to Calgary on the 13th. It starts at 12h00 and ends at 15h00. Calgary's Santa Claus Parade is an always anticipated event in the Calgary area, and this year will be the perfect time for your entire family to experience the magic that falls upon Calgary every year. The parade will be led by Santa Claus, with everything from Chinese dragons to antique cars following. After the parade there is scheduled to be live entertainment in Olympic Plaza as well. If you're looking for something to spark your holiday cheer then look no further than the Santa Claus Parade of Calgary.

Event Details: Free Event - Starts @: 5432 Dalhart Rd NW.

It does seem like a long parade that starts in Dalhousie and ends in the city centre... The obvious route is down the highway. I feel sorry for the road users! Apparently it is huge and I am not missing it! It will be a rush to get to church on time afterwards, but I am still planning to go.

I just LOVE, love, LOVE Christmas!

bf-reindeerdance.gif

• Like 1

Annamarie R

You guys better enjoy it on our behalf!

I love Christmas too! What a great time of year. Please post allot of pic’s so we can share in the joy!

:santa:

Love the "MR Frosty"

RIP.

Edited by Annamarie R

Dedré

Will do Annemarie. Frosty II will be built just for you! :santa:

Dedré

My... my... my! I haven't seen SO much snow ever in my life. We went to get our H1N1 and seasonal flue shots today (finally we qualify). We saw 4 cars in the ditch, and (including us) there were 3 cars that got stuck! I still love the snow, but today I though Charl was going to blow up the weather machine... There is SO MUCH snow, we don't know what to do with it or where to shovel it. At the end some of it was shoveled behind our neighbor's car that is parked in the road. We think Mr. Bean, Rabit2.jpg the wild rabbit that graze the pastures of our lawn, has been buried under the snow. We have not seen him since the terrible dump last night. If he survived it, we don't know whether he will be able to climb the mountains of shoveled snow on people's lawns. At some homes the snow heaps are even higher than our car. The gusts were so strong we could feel the house shaking on the top floor. They have predicted 20cm again today, but we have not seen it yet, and think it might fall tonight! Where we will shovel it too... I just don't know. We even had to shovel the road itself, because we are unable to get out of the driveway onto the road without getting stuck. The temperatures for the next couple of days (till Tuesday) are all threatening to turn at the top -20's and low -30's! Everywhere we turn we are slowing down even more to ask people whether we can help to get their stuck cars unstuck. And since we fall in a suburb where the snowploughs do not come by to relieve the road users from all the snow... we will probably be asking people this question the whole winter. We had two dinner arrangements this weekend... both were canceled, since people are too scared (and have been advised not to) go anywhere in this weather! It is too cold to take photos today... so I will take them tomorrow and post.

On a lighter note... since we got stuck in the snow today, we had to open the garage door again to get shovels to dig us out... which did not help anyways... I'll explain later why. A helpful neighbor came by minutes later to help push the car... So I was behind the wheel and there the two gentlemen were pushing the car while I tried to find grip and use the leverage as a get-away! We finally got unstuck, after 20 minutes, or maybe a half hour later, and made our way off to the clinic to get our shots! And what do you know... half way to our destination Charl says: "I don't think I have closed the garage door!" And for sure, I just knew... with all this excitement I did not see him do it either... and at last... we also fell into the situation of getting stuck in snow and leaving the garage door open, ALL ON THE SAME DAY!!! Ag man! We were too far away to turn around... and faced the possibility of getting stuck again. So we decided to leave it open, since we were only going to be away for about half an hour... right?

NO WRONG! We were away for about 3 hours.

In our garage we have two bicycles, a tent trailer, shovels, tools of various sorts and a toboggan... Charl said: "If somebody steels it in this weather, I guess they probably deserve it!" I just didn't see the probability of it happening in this country. We had an awesome nurse injecting us, and then we made a dash on a snail pace back home. And there our house was... all in one piece, so were the contents of the garage as well as the contents of the house... (we never lock the door between the garage and the house). But not once did we ever thought it would be stolen! Strange but true. And needless to say... the words had to flow form our lips... "If this was back in SA, even our budgie would have been stolen! We probably would have to start all over again!"

So we shoveled the rest of the driveway, and the road (so that we can at least have access to our driveway) parked the car, and had dinner. Another day has gone by without the stress of worries in our hearts. We are blessed to be here, and counting our blessings daily in so many ways. We can not express our thankfulness enough to a great Father who cared so much to answer our prayers.

Why couldn't we get unstuck? Because snow has no grip at all if you are stuck already. You need kitty litter gravel or another gravel of some sort to put underneath the tires to get grip to help you get unstuck. We would have gotten that today... but since we left the garage door open... decided to skip that bit of shopping and made the dash back home! Maybe tomorrow... Only the weather will tell. So this is the tip of the day... except for the emergency kit to drive around in your car during the winter with blankets and all... keep kitty litter gravel also. It may make the difference between 10 minutes and an hour!

Our car has a wonkyness about it now when we drive! :santa: Hope it is the snow on the tires that makes the wheels unbalanced... All this excitement in one day... definitely something to write home about! :lol:

• Like 1

Cathy K

Dedré, welcome to the winter in most of Canada :santa: We're glad you're home safe.

On a more serious note; are any of our members affected by that terrible house fire in Calgary. We saw it on the news: fire trucks stuck in the snow, houses burning...It looks terrible!

Guest Norman and karen
and then we made a dash on a snail pace back home.

HAHAHAHA....seem like you guys had it bad Dedre!! We had snow, but not even close to that amount...I did have to shovel the driveway though.. :santa:

I heard its the worst storm in years in Calgary...

:lol: :lol: Good luck for tomorrows getting stuck...

Island Life

Yes Dedre, we also had a good dump here, a few kilometers up Highway 2 from you! And, I can relate to you getting stuck - same happened to us today. We have about 30cm of snow in our drive which I shovelled, but there was no way I was doing the road, so I left it, and guess where we got stuck! Anyway, we eventually got out and lived to tell the story so one more winter war story to tell the folks back home. They already think we're crazy to be living in a place that gets to minus ** (I can't bring myself to write the number). Kitty litter - great idea, I hadn't heard that before.

Dedré

I guess it was inevitable right? :santa: Better it happened sooner than later. Friends of ours says this is the most snow they have seen in such a short time here in Calgary. Today, tomorrow and Wednesday we are looking at snowfall again. But at least the weather man decided to drop the temperatures to -10's and not the -30's.

Cathy, I know that Rolé and EvB lives in Citadel. We don't know where the fire broke out exactly. Hopefully they are unharmed. Lets hope they come in to post. We don't have Shaw anymore. I heard the news from you. Had to look it up on the news. For those who want to read and see more, here are the links:

http://calgary.ctv.ca/

(Click on "5 homes burn down in the SW" to the right of the page underneath the CTV News video player).

and this link is from The Gazette: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Five+C...8638/story.html

• Like 1

Dedré

Citadel is where the red arrow points. .

CalgaryMap.jpg

• Like 1

Rolé

The fires were in Citadel, but not close to us. I didn't know about it either until a friend asked me about it over the phone.

Dedré

Here are some of those promised pictures:

A friend gave me this link:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Gallery+Calgar...6397/story.html

And then ours:

WildWinterStorm1.jpgWildWinterStorm2.jpg

The first is hip height, and the second is shoulder height.

These people made their own toboggan hill, as they had no other choice. Garage height. (Their own lawns are full of shoveled snow):

WildWinterStorm3.jpgWildWinterStorm4.jpg

Then our house. The snow was about hip height for me (not for a man), and then the wind made it smaller again:

WildWinterStorm5.jpgWildWinterStorm6.jpg

Some fun we had in the snow, after climbing the mountains of snow. Everywhere we walked we fell to knee height (at least) in the snow.

WildWinterStorm7.jpg

• Like 1

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

So, this is Dedré: :lol:

Cathy
Here are some of those promised pictures

Thanks I've been checking regularly as I've been dying to see what it looked like. DIfficult to imagine drifts that high.

Dedré
So, this is Dedré: :lol:
Hehehee! Hubby calls it the Canadian Taliban look! :lol:
Thanks I've been checking regularly as I've been dying to see what it looked like. DIfficult to imagine drifts that high.
Glad you missed it eh?

johankok

En 'n mens het gedink dat Bloubergstrand se water koud is.... - Ons het so 'n half meter sneeu op die stoep - kan nie eens die deur oop maak nie

Edited by johankok

UrsulaS

Great pictures Dedré! What a lovely Christmas Tree, with all the snow it all looks so festive :)

malcolmJHB

hi dedre.

thanks so much for sharing these photos with us. They certainly put a different spin on snow.

Slightly off topic, but I was wondering how weather like this impacts your day to day life?

Many comments have been made both on and off the forum, about how canadian weather is the least of your worries.

Maybe it will more obvious to people living through snow like this, but to me this snow looks to seriously impact where and when you can go anywhere in the city.

Not to mention the shoulders you must build chucking snow. :)

Dedré
Slightly off topic, but I was wondering how weather like this impacts your day to day life?

Many comments have been made both on and off the forum, about how canadian weather is the least of your worries.

Maybe it will more obvious to people living through snow like this, but to me this snow looks to seriously impact where and when you can go anywhere in the city.

Not to mention the shoulders you must build chucking snow. :D

Malcolm,

Its so awesome to see you here. I have thought there for a time you guys might have given up on Canada.

You have a great question there and I have not forgotten about your question. I am busy gathering all that life changing experiences for you. They are all frozen up and clogging our gutters... :lol:... I will get to it soon. Please forgive me for taking so long. I just never noticed the ”reality of snow life in Calgary”, because I was till recently sitting the whole day in house and have my own private chauffeur. :P So the experience was quite sweet in a sense. I can tell you though so long that I had my first major fall the other day... :P I have a knee cap that is black and blue and the blueness draws further over the upper part of my lower leg... is still painful to the touch. I also now have a shoulder that is not happy and does not want to get better.

What can I say... snow is beautiful and you can not beat perfection...

• Like 1

johankok

The weather does not impact most of life in Calgary, barring one aspect - a good and warmer day is a day out for a load of people.

Traffic wise: barring two major blizzards which caused chaos - not much, except that we were told that we live in 4 wheel drive alley - for those who knows a rarely used farm road - that is a close approximation of the tarred snow filled road leading to our rented place.

The other aspect is to get out in the snow: loads of choices - snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, sledding, downhill skiing, snowboarding, snow-kiting and a load more to do.

Dedré

:lol: The snow is melting in FFWD! The Chinook weather is making temperatures rising to 6°C, and sometimes even warmer. The down side is that we loose the white stuff rapidly... The downer than down side is that every time we walk outside, we have to be careful. The melted snow freezes overnight and we have a road cover in ice and the same goes for our driveway. :cry: I am contemplating about renting our driveway out as an ice rink. At least I'll get some good money out of it! :cry:

The husband just phoned in, he will be an hour or more later at home, since there was an accident on the C-Train again. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, add some two hours to your traveling time.

Here is the sad news release:

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTV...hub=CalgaryHome

• Like 1

johankok

The local "kroonwild" (pedestrians) decided to walk in front of the C-train - never learned that the train does not stop for anyone like a car - hence the delay. - sludge is gone and the roads are dry again.

Instead of skiing on snow - that is now done on "ice" - waiting for the next snowfall (and drop in temperatures) - prefer the 0 to -10 range here.

EvB

hi all

thanks for the concerns guys, we are fine, we are well, happy and enjoying Canada a lot. Studies going well, kids are happy in school, work experience is coming along as well (HOW DO YOU SPELL CANADA? "H-A-P-P-Y") .

The 5 houses that burnt down happened on the western side of Citadel in Calgary. We live on the eastern side of Citadel. It is ironic, in SA one is constantly concerned with crime issues, here in Canada (or shall I say "I") one is (I am) more concerned with fire hazards . Houses can catch fire quite easily if one is not careful. We take extra precaution.

Kind Regards

Edited by EvB