Sign in to follow this  
williamo

Renting in Calgary

williamo

Hi All

We will be moving from Toronto to Calgary within two weeks time. Can anybody suggest areas where we can rent a townhouse/duplex/flat (not in a highrise though)? Which areas are not so desirable (without stepping on anybody's toes!)

If anybody have a crib that we can temporarily loan for our 23month old boy (our stuff will only be arriving in Calgary once our house is sold on this side). Any advice and help will be appreciated!

Thanks

Hester

(I will be looking for an entry level accounting job, so if anybody knows of an opportunity.....)

Dedré

Hester, hopefully you were able to find a place by now.

When we arrived here we rented a two bedroom apartment through the Boardwalk. They were decent but renting in Calgary for an apartment can be just as high as a house. HERE is their website. A house might be more private, quiet and could be worth the cost.

The suggested areas that we have are in the NW, SE and SW. The NW might be the cheapest, With the SW the most expensive and the SE the newest with the least amount of trees. We currently live in the SE on the edge. There is only one bus service every half hour that goes to the trains. From the centre of downtown via train, transferring onto a buss to our area up to the point of stepping into our house, takes my husband an hour. The NW can be the same if you live on the edge somewhere. Living close to the LRT would be preferable. Could cut travelling time sufficiently.

HERE and HERE are some earlier discussion on the same topic. And HERE is a Wikipedia article about our neighbourhoods. Just scroll down a bit. You will also find some other useful info there on infrastructure and schools and more. THE Calgary MLS zones can be found HERE. This is useful to look at when you are looking at houses listed on MLS for rent. They normally list the area and then SE or so... and we rarely know where the places are. We also looked them up.

Sorry that I am not able to help you with more info or a crib and work contact. I hope you will love it here. In the Toronto area people are able to support one another in a different way than here in Calgary. We can not pick much furniture up from the streets as in GTA. But you can still find lots of stuff on Calgary Freecycle and in Value Village. I hope that this has provided you with the information you were actually looking for. If not, just give us a shout and I will try better.