Sign in to follow this  
Pierre

The weather

Pierre

Everybody always has something to say about the weather around here!

Just chatting.

Saturday, December 20, 2008, 9:00 MST - Fort McMurray Airport: -36 °C ... (I know!!)

Sunrise: 8:59

Sunset: 15:46

Lots of overnight tracks in the snow around my house made by the active night life.

And its a bright sunny morning!

A good time to be out and about like a squirrel who seems to know about the economic slowdown and seeks to gather food he does not need today.

Vista Ridge now has the Clearwater run open as well as the beginners' area. Please call 780-799-SNOW before heading out for an update.

But most people are probably doing that last minute shopping and preparations for the big feast ahead on Xmas day.

But shops are very much sold out on regular gifts. Ordering from the Sears catalog has past the cut off date for xmas delivery.

If you haven't done your xmas shopping its most likely up to Santa to save you.

However with temps like they are this season, I just don't know if he will be around on time.

Its flippin cold!

Unless the reindeer and especially Rudolf has heated boots they may not get off the first roof they land on.

Moonstones

Oh yeah. We are currently at -25 in Saskatoon, -38 with the wind chill.

TOnight down to -33 - or -42 with the windchill. I dont see too many birds at my bird feeder today - in fact, there are none. Poor little feathery buggers. Maybe I should install a heat lamp above the feeder, haha.

Roads are like ice rinks. I think today will be a pajama day. Might brave it to the corner store for some coffee creamer.... that is an essential survival item! ;-)

Pierre

I noticed the same thing - no birds!

Except a raven that flew past earlier on.

The bird feeder needs a top up - but Ol Sam the squirrel was onto it scratching around the ice covered seeds.

fatcat

Current temp in Kelowna -18 brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dieulefit

We are so depressed that our kids could not get out of Seattle last night :cry:. They had to return home as the only flights out of Seattle airport were heading towards L.A. and nothing to Canada. They were told to drive to Vancouver and fly from there... ja right, and that with a snowstorm all the way! We are still hoping/praying for them to arrive here, somehow, before Christmas and there's yet another storm on the way! We had tons of snow on Dieulefit and we actually fall out of the snow-belt <_< . We must have had around 30 inches so far and there are flurries coming down right this moment..... yikes!

Pierre, I have plenty of birds at my bird feeders and suet containers, but I buy the ones that no squirrel can get into or help itself either :angry:. I also purchase bird seed with cayenne pepper in, which the squirrels do not like :cry: . Have quite a number of birds of prey out (mating season is here) and although I do not mind them getting the rabbits, I do love my doves and hate seeing feathers near the feeders!

We've lost a bird of prey recently who flew into a very high picture window of our house. I was very upset about this and although we do get the odd bird flying into this window, this was the biggest loss so far. I've planted a large tree (which should grow even higher) near the window and we always ask our guests to put the lights off in the upper hallway so that area can stay dark. Very sad indeed.

We are going to take a walk outside now - should have snowshoes!!! I was outside early last night and chased 3 young White Tail deer who were right at our house. The deer do come closer to our home now as they are well protected on Dieulefit and especially now that every Tom, Dick and Harry are on their snowmobiles and are riding all around us on neighboring farms. We do not allow anyone with snowmobiles on our property though.

Pierre

I saw a crazy guy out jogging this morning. Its -34.

We must have had around 30 inches so far and there are flurries coming down right this moment..... yikes!

Thats about what we get in a year.!

Current temp in Kelowna -18 brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Wow. I thought Kelowna is an escape from the cold.

Harties

We are so depressed that our kids could not get out of Seattle last night :cry:. They had to return home as the only flights out of Seattle airport were heading towards L.A. and nothing to Canada.

I know the feeling, my kids are leaving Calgary airport to Seattle and then onto Korea, I am worried sick, their flight was Saturday night from Seattle, I hope their was no delays or cancelled flights.