Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Renewal of South African passports

Harry

So, I went to my bank manager and they abjectly and point blankly refused to certify any copies of anything. So the SA Embassy is blowing smoke...

Then I went to my doctor and he did it for free.

So, Jen, please remove that "bank manager" bit from the e-mail. Maybe the SA Embassy thinks it can be done, but the banks actually refuse. No matter how hard I tried....and, yes, of course I explained it was NOT for a Canadian Passport. I know the limitation on those.

This place is a bloody racket, and I think I must contribute an article under "Things to watch out for" relating to the stupid knee-jerk answer that is always "Notary Public". And yes, I phoned a Notary Public and she DID want $20 for every copy certifiedas I had thought.

SO the answer in Vancouver is:

1. Get your fingerprints done by the International Fingerprinting Services in Burrard Street for $35 per set. They know the SA docs well.

2. Get your document copies certified by your doctor for free.

redeye
This place is a bloody racket, and I think I must contribute an article under "Things to watch out for" relating to the stupid knee-jerk answer that is always "Notary Public". And yes, I phoned a Notary Public and she DID want $20 for every copy certifiedas I had thought.

There are public notaries that will do it for free in Canada; my lawyer does certification and notarization free of charge.

When I had to get notarized (not certified) copies of my degree certificate and transcripts in South Africa (for Engineers Canada assessment) I was charged something like R40 each time the seal clicked shut; and this was back in the 1999. I did not personally know that lawyer, and the appointment I booked for his time was billable (to him) I guess.

Harry

SO,

now I have a letter from the SA Consulate apologising:

They can no longer use fingerprints on the form they tell us to use on the website (cannot remember the damned number).

- They are sorry

They now have to have it on a from number BI-9, which is the identity card application form.

- - They are very sorry.

No, we will not get identity cards as part of filling in the identity card application form, we'll get passports.

No, we don't have to pay again.

Yes, they we'll make sure that the new forms get added to the existing documentation.

- - - They are oh so very very sorry.

I must not yell at them, they are just the messengers

- - - - They are so very very terribly incredibly sorry.

They did try to get Pretoria to accommodate the fifty people ciaght in this mess

Pretoria would not listen

(Phone again....this time aboout the fact thatthe new form asks for photos again)

No, we do not have to have new pictures taken; they'll use the ones we already gave them.

Yes they know the website gives the wrong information. They are trying to get it updated.

I cannot post the picture of the document they sent us, because my place I post pictures these days will not upload today.

Guest CharlvS
now I have a letter from the SA Consulate apologising:

Harry... I have to ask... you've already got Canadian citizenship, right? Why go through all this trouble to get a renewed South African passport? You've already got a Canadian one? You're just elevating your own blood pressure, man! :lol:

margie

Hi Harry,

We must have had the same letter as you re the fingerprint issue .... plus they only sent us one original of the finger print doc, so have to wait for the 2nd one to arrive - wonder how long it will take to get our passports!

Margie

Heinrich

Charl

On other places on this forum, Harry has extensively told how he regrets having applied for dual citizenship. If he had the insight he now has, I think he would never have applied for dual citizenship. However, there are many that go the dual citizenship route and it is to be respected.

When you have dual citizenship and one of the countries is South Africa, you have to enter and exit with the South African passport.

Guest CharlvS
Charl

On other places on this forum, Harry has extensively told how he regrets having applied for dual citizenship. If he had the insight he now has, I think he would never have applied for dual citizenship. However, there are many that go the dual citizenship route and it is to be respected.

When you have dual citizenship and one of the countries is South Africa, you have to enter and exit with the South African passport.

Hi Heinrich.

True. It's not that I'm disrespecting people that follow this route, but to go through all this trouble every few years just to have an SA passport renewed seems like a total waste of energy to me. Each to his own, as I say. I'm truly sorry if I have offended anybody.

Heinrich

No ways, you weren't saying anything disrespectful. I am just viewing my opinion of respect.

Raoulb

Just to ask a quick question on the topic. If I apply for dual citizenship, and after receiving my Canadian Passport, I decide that I did not want to hold dual, but only a Canadian Passport, will this create a problem? Thanks <_<

Rolé

The law says you have to enter South Africa with a South African passport if you are a citizen, even if you have dual citizenship. So, you can always renounce your South African citizenship then. But applying for dual and then possibly renouncing it seems like a waste of time and money. You should make that decision before you apply for Canadian citizenship. Unless you know 100% for certain that you are never going to visit South Africa ever again, then I guess it wouldn't matter.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Hopefully some good news for those who need to renew their passports:

Home Affairs turnaround 'working'

10/06/2008 18:01 - (SA)

Cape Town - The home affairs department's turnaround strategy is beginning to bear dividends, Home Affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula told MPs on Tuesday.

Speaking during her Budget vote debate in the National Assembly, Mapisa-Nqakula said a new passport production system that would see the documents being issued promptly, had been installed in line with the department's turnaround strategy.

"The main benefit of the new system will be the reduction in the passport production turnaround time due to the printing system's ability to print higher volumes," she said

It made it possible for the department to process a passport application within a space of 10 days.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2337997,00.html

ebow3d
Hopefully some good news for those who need to renew their passports:

Home Affairs turnaround 'working'

10/06/2008 18:01 - (SA)

Cape Town - The home affairs department's turnaround strategy is beginning to bear dividends, Home Affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula told MPs on Tuesday.

Speaking during her Budget vote debate in the National Assembly, Mapisa-Nqakula said a new passport production system that would see the documents being issued promptly, had been installed in line with the department's turnaround strategy.

"The main benefit of the new system will be the reduction in the passport production turnaround time due to the printing system's ability to print higher volumes," she said

It made it possible for the department to process a passport application within a space of 10 days.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2337997,00.html

The honorable Home Affairs Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, reckons that their new printer is going to boost their turn around time! LOL!!!!!! Somehow, I don't think it is the printer that has caused all their delays and incredible corruption up to now! LOL!!!!

We are going in tommorrow to see if our passports are ready, after six months. We have to go in, because the lady on the phone could not tell us whether it is ready or not, for some reason she could only check my wife's passport. I wonder if their printer can operate computers and answer phonecalls too!

Edited by ebow3d

Karen

I got my first Canadian passport more than ten years ago. I never relinquished my SA one officially - just let it expire and never renewed it. I have always travelled to SA on my Can. passport and never once has anyone ever queried why I do not have a SA one. My kids did the same thing without a problem.

Remember that if you enter SA on a SA passport, you fall under the laws of that country and you cannot call on the Canadian govt to help you out of any sticky situation in SA.

Harry

Charl/Karen,

Apologies for the tardy reaction to earlier posts.

Heinrich is 100% correct...both as regards my regret and as regards the rules foir dual citizens. If Karen never applied for dual citizenship, then she is OK in entering SA on her Canadian Passport. Harry, the idiot, applied for dual citizenship at the insistance of the wife who would not listen at the time. Now he HAS TO enter SA on an SA passport, whereas Karen can always get her citizenship back when she wants it later. It cannot be denied, by law. The old rule of doing nothing when Burocrats connive, clearly still holds. Just stay off their RADAR and you'll be OK. For me to have Karen's benefits, I now have to officially renounce citizenship...and I have no idea where that leaves me if I were to want it back in future. If I had made the law, I'd tell Harry to go to hell if he wanted it back.

Cathy K

Nog 'n interessante kinkel in die kabel. Lyk my Suid-Afrika se Dept van Binnelandse sake werk deesdae saam met Weightwatchers, almal is skielik baie maerder op hulle paspoortfoto's. :blink:

Paspoortfoto's

Cathy K.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
1. Get your fingerprints done by the International Fingerprinting Services in Burrard Street for $35 per set. They know the SA docs well.

2. Get your document copies certified by your doctor for free.

Harry

It's our turn to do the f/printing-thing.

My research led to information that one can "go to any community policing office" where f/p are done @ $35 per set.

I had the same reaction as you - that's overkill, so we're combining our regular trip to check our WA. mail box with an appt.to have f/p done @ $12 per set. Fortunately, we live very close to the border.

jen1

Thought I would put my timeline in here quickly. I sent my husbands passport application off to Ottawa on the 7 May 08, Got the new passport back today - Yay!

I thought I was going to get a letter back about the fingerprints being on the wrong form, as you guys out west who had to send your apps off to Toronto did, but it seems that Ottawa let it go for those who sent it off on the wrong forms before they had updated their website. I know that now they are requesting the new forms.

Now we are good for another 10 years (well at least my husband is - I have about 7 years left on mine).

KarenLV
I thought if you were a SA Citizen you had to come in and out of SA on your SA passport Am I reading that part right or not. If we wanted to renew SA passports can we ? as we applied for Canadian citizenship without telling SA? what we were doing

Yes, thats correct.They are becoming strict on this on paper but those lazy officials at the JNB airport couldnt care less...

pretor

Received my new SA passport on Monday 20 October. Applied on 20 August, so it took exactly 2 months to get it. Fingerprints were taken at Saskatoon's main Cop Shop ($25) on their standard issue fingerprint sheet and a copy of my birth certificate was notarized by my company's resident legal eagle ($0). The most difficult bit was getting the appropriately sized photographs - the photography shop didn't have the exact size template on their computers so they struggled for a bit to get it down pat...

Tracy

FYI

Just recently renewed our passports.

The South African side is really quick but the Canadian side (SA Consulate) sat on them for ages!!! South Africa had a really quick, and efficient turnaround. I sent them (SA) an email and they confirmed all three were returned to Canada on specific dates. Came back to me within 24 hours.

Called the Canada office and they told me that they had them and sure, would send them back.

I had applied in June and all three passports were returned to Canada by September. Only received them back from the Canadian office in December after calling them and insisting they check.

Most frustrating!

Harties

We where in Qatar for 6 months and applied for our new SA Passports in Qatar. They took the fingerprints and the photo's at the SA embassy, completed all the forms and all done in less than 10 minutes. They also suggested we apply for temporary passports ( our passports was full ).

We received the temporary in 3 days and the real thing after 6 weeks, I think that must be a record, sometimes I think it is better to apply outside of South-Africa, my father in laws passport took 5 months in SA.

QRM
We where in Qatar for 6 months and applied for our new SA Passports in Qatar. They took the fingerprints and the photo's at the SA embassy, completed all the forms and all done in less than 10 minutes. They also suggested we apply for temporary passports ( our passports was full ).

We received the temporary in 3 days and the real thing after 6 weeks, I think that must be a record, sometimes I think it is better to apply outside of South-Africa, my father in laws passport took 5 months in SA.

Same this side, renewing our children Sa passports from Canada took 6 weeks, My brother in Sa is still waiting after 5 months.

Linton

Talya

Have just completed SA passport applications, and was just wondering if the fingerprinting can still be done on standard issue forms here in Canada.

creston

Wou ons SA paspoorte hernuwe. Ottawa het ons aansoek op die 5de Februarie 2009 ontvang en SA toe gestuur.

Ons het dit vandag ontvang. (Nege maande, sonder 'n "fasiliteringsfooi")

Lyk bra netjies.

Wou ons SA paspoorte hernuwe. Ottawa het ons aansoek op die 5de Februarie 2009 ontvang en SA toe gestuur.

Ons het dit vandag ontvang. (Nege maande, sonder 'n "fasiliteringsfooi")

Lyk bra netjies.

Kriegler, have to do the same soon. Can you provide a link to the website you used and form ref no’s you had to fill in.

Thanks & Regards