Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Renewal of South African passports

Danielcb

Hi Adele,

Thank-you for helping out there and I appologise for my grammer.

What happens if i have applied for my Canadian Citizenship without requesting Dual Citizenship...? Would it be easier to send my passport home to my mother and she can renew (re-apply) for me? would that work?

Im sorry i really dont know how this all works and i cant get hold of anybody to speak to about my situation. I also dont want to loose my SA passport as i go home at least once a year.

Any ideas?

Thank-you all again,

Daniel

Adele

Daniel,

You will NEED to apply for your Dual before hand. Send in the documents ASAP and hopefully you will receive it before you do your citizenship. If you have already done your citizenship you may still have to renounce your SA one. But you will need a Confirmation letter of your status when you go back to SA.

It will not be easier for your Mom to re-apply as you will need to sign documents that are original and those could get lost in the mail in SA, but here they can be registered and then to SA from Ottawa they will be couriered en mass with other applications.

I will got to the Bank tomorrow to get the person's name we were dealing with in Ottawa. It is on the correspondence I keep in a safety deposit.

I will PM you her details.

Danielcb

Amazing, thank-you very much. I can’t believe how nice you are for helping me out.

Unfortunately I submitted my papers for Citizenship a couple of months back – shucks, but do you think that i can still slip in my application for dual passports?

Would you know where I would apply to get the application for Dual citizenship?

ha-ha, I am terrible with this paper work stuff...

Adele

Daniel,

You are more than Welcome!

B) You have a lot of reading to do!! :D All your questions are actually answered here and here. You also need to read this, specifically Section 6, which, I quote below.

To cut down on reading time (which we prefer you NOT to do, :oops: I am placing (as the quote) the direct answer you require:

Loss of South African Citizenship (Section 6)

A South African citizen who by a formal and voluntary act acquires the citizenship of another country, automatically loses his or her South African citizenship.

Retention of South African citizenship may, however, be applied for, but must be done and be approved before acquisition of the other citizenship to prevent automatic loss of the South African citizenship. Applications must be on form BI 1664 and are subject to payment of a prescribed fee of R115-00. Applications may be lodged at any Home Affairs domestic office or if abroad, at the nearest South African Embassy or Mission.

Persons who have lost their South African citizenship under similar circumstances under section 15(1)(a) of the now repealed South African Citizenship Act, 1949 (Act No. 44 of 1949), may apply for exemption from the loss in terms of section 26(4) of Act 88 of 1995, by submission of a duly completed BI 1666 and payment of the prescribed fee of R115-00 at any Home Affairs domestic office or if abroad, at the nearest South African Mission or Embassy

Enjoy the reading material! :P

Guest Barbara

We need documents certified for our passport application. The police don't do it, where can we get it done ?

Digital post want $50 to certify 6 copies.

Sorry just read earlier in this thread and will try my MLA, thanks.

Adele

You local MLA should be able to do it. Or your Doctor or school principal. Someone who has known you for at least two years, with the certified stamp to can do it also.

We have used our doctor each time since he is very familiar with SA documents. He also did it for free.

BevBrad

Last year I had some docs certified by the lawyer who handled the purchase of my house, as she had done the transfer she also does all my certification (notarising) free of charge.

BTW, they are not allowed to charge for certifying documents related to Canadian passport applications, or so she said.

Brad

Guest Barbara

I called my MLA and left a message. She called me back this afternoon and I have an appointment for Friday afternoon she will certify the documents for me with no charge.

Then just need a trip down town for finger prints and we are ready to send off our forms.

BartolMavric
I called my MLA and left a message.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does 'MLA' stand for? :(

Guest Barbara

Member of the Legislative Assembly in other words my local PM.

BartolMavric
Member of the Legislative Assembly in other words my local PM.

Ah! Thank you! :(

Breytie

Update from on the renewal of you SA Passport

http://www.southafrica-canada.ca/pages/vis...ther-permit.htm

South African Passport Application

Passports are not renewable. If your passport is due to expire you have to apply for a new passport.

The processing of passports is done by the Department of Home Affairs in South Africa. However, all applications must still be submitted or forwarded to your nearest South African Mission.

To ensure that applicants receive their passports on time, they are advised to apply at least six months prior to their intended date of departure or date of expiry of passports. It takes 6 months to process a new South African passport. South Africans are required to keep their passports valid at all times even if not travelling.

Adult South African citizens holding dual citizenship must enter or depart South Africa making use of a South African passport only.

In case of emergency an application for a temporary passport may be submitted:

See the requirements for a passport. Fee payment is CAN $16 plus fee payment for fax transmission of urgent passport applications of CAN $ 3. Money order or certified cheque payable to the South African High Commission for total CAN $ 19 has to be submitted with a temporary passport application.

Applicants living in the demarcated areas (Eastern Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Colombia, Yukon and Nortwest Territories) for the Home Affairs Representative in Toronto must submit their completed applications to the address provided under the Consular Services link. Applicants in the rest of Canada must submit to the South African High Commission in Ottawa.

Applications received by facsimile or e-mail will not be processed.

Documentation required and instructions for completion of forms for a passport:

· Duly completed forms: BI-73 , BI-529E . Make sure that form BI-73 is duly completed with signature and thumbprint, and Section B is certified (no need for thumbprint for a child under the age of 16). Form BI-529E must be completed by all applicants.

· Full set of fingerprints taken at a police station or a fingerprinting center (not required for children younger than 16 years of age). Fingerprints taken on a fingerprinting form provided by police or fingerprinting center are accepted. Please note that fingerprints cannot be taken on a copy of form BI-9.

· For children younger than 16 years of age: forms BI-73 , BI-529E must be completed

· Certified copy of a South African birth certificate

· Expired passport or a certified copy of current passport's relevant pages (page with a photograph and personal details)

· For children under 18 years, the Signature of both Parents (section C of BI-73 form)

· Three (3) recent clear identical passport size photos of the applicant. Please see the description:

Photographs

Photographs must comply to the following specifications:

Length - 45mm

Width - 35mm

The background of the photograph shall be plain and free of shadows and shall not have a white lining

Only the head and shoulders of the person concerned shall be included in the photograph and the head from the chin to the top of the hair shall not be smaller 22mm and not larger than 25mm

Spectacles may be worn provided that the lenses do not make the eyes invisible. Spectacles with dark lenses may be worn if the eyes will appear distorted without them or if the person is blind

The full-face of the person concerned shall be photographed directly from the front, and the head may not be bent or tuned sideways

The face shall be a recognizable likeness of the person and the head, hair, eyebrows, eyes, nose and moustache or beard, if any, shall be sharply and clearly defined

Neither the photograph nor the copies thereof may be defaced by holes, pencil or ink marks or in any other manner

The Director-General may reject the copies of the photographs if they do not, in his or her judgment, comply with the requirements mentioned above, or if he or she deem them unsuitable in other respects, in which case the person concerned shall provide two new copies at his or her own cost.

· Adult Applicants residing in Canada for three years or longer must submit one of the following:

A notarized sworn affidavit stating that they have not applied for Canadian citizenship or citizenship of any other country;

A letter from Immigration Canada stating that they have not applied for nor was granted Canadian citizenship, or;

A copy of the letter from the Department of Home Affairs granting permission to the applicant to hold dual citizenship. or

If an applicant was a minor at the time of obtaining citizenship of a foreign country, a certified copy of this country citizenship certificate showing the date when he/she became a citizen.

• Passport fees: CAN $16 for temporary passport - child, CAN$19 for temporary passport – adult. Permanent passports CAN $ 24 for children and CAN $ 32 for adults. Frequent travellers may apply for a maxi passport (CAN $ 64). Fees are payable by money order or certified cheque only made out to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques will be returned.

• Xpressport or Priority Canada Post office self-addressed envelope

THE HIGH COMMISSION WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY DELIVERIES BY PUROLATOR AND WILL NOT RETURN DOCUMENTS USING PUROLATOR

Return to Top

South African travel facilities (passports) are granted in accordance with the South African Passports and Travel Documents Act, 1994 (Act No 4 of 1994) and the South African Passports and Travel Documents Regulations, 1996, respectively.

A South African passport may only be issued to a South African Citizen. Proof of citizenship is a South African Identity Book or a South African Birth Certificate. A certified/notarized copy of one must always be included with all applications.

Each member of a household must submit a separate application form. Every child will be issued with his/her own passport. NO EXCEPTIONS CAN BE MADE.

Passports will be issued in the surname of the applicant as it appears in the Population Register in Pretoria. To change your last name to reflect marriage, divorce or double barrel name, a certified letter stating that fact must be included with your application.

IMPORTANT. If you lose your passport, report it to your nearest police precinct and included the report with your application forms. No exceptions!

Downloadable Application Forms:

You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print these documents.

To download the reader, click here

Following Forms are Downloadable:

Form BI-73

Form BI529E.

Report of Loss of Travel Document

Form BI-73: Application for Travel Document Download Form BI-73

Section A

Must be completed by all applicants. Current address and telephone number must be provided. NOTE: Signature, photo and left thumb print a must.

Section B

Must be completed by the Police, Notary Public or other Authorities, who can lawfully take the left thumbprint and full set of fingerprints. This official will also be responsible to mark the reverse side of ONE of the photographs - CERTIFIED A TRUE PHOTOGRAPH OF.." (Please no dry seal on the photographs)

Section C

Please read instructions given in this section carefully if applicant is under 18 years of age.

Section D

If answer is yes to (a), an original/notarized copy of the letter granting you Dual Citizenship must be included. If you have/had a passport, the answer to (:D is yes and must be completed accordingly.

Section E

Must be completed fully and signed by applicant. Parent/Guardian signs on behalf of children under 14yrs.

Return to Top

Form BI 529E: Information to assist in Determining South African citizenship.

Download Form BI529E.

Must be completed by all applicants. All questions must be answered in part A "Personal Particulars" and Part B " Marital Status". Please mark questions that do not apply as N/A. Parts C and D dealing with particulars of parents must be completed. If information is not available please indicate it as such Section E must be completed by applicant.

Return to Top

Mailing Back of Passports

Applicants must provide a pre-paid, self-addressed registered/courier envelope for the return of their new passports.

Return to Top

Alwyn

Please note that if your passport or ID must to be mailed to you, there is a 90%+ chance of it getting lost. My personal experience is 100% multiple times.

Update from on the renewal of you SA Passport

Return to Top

Mailing Back of Passports

Applicants must provide a pre-paid, self-addressed registered/courier envelope for the return of their new passports.

Return to Top

Please note that if your passport or ID must to be mailed to you, there is a 90%+ chance of it getting lost. My personal experience is 100% multiple times.

Alwyn highly unlikely, unless you have a totally useless courier service. Most courier services in South Africa are linked internationally and tracking numbers are provided.

Alwyn it may be a good idea to get you a pigeon for postal services.

:) Regards,

Edited by Lawrence

Andy & Yvonne

Just a note...

If you have applied for Canadian citizenship - but not yet received it - and have not applied to the SA Government for dual citizenship - then you cannot apply for a new SA passport. So you may be stuck in Canada until you get a Canadian passport.

Andy

Alwyn

90 % is from a local home affairs employee, but I would say a more realistic figure would be 20 - 30 %.

Believe it or not, most of the time the department uses the SA post office. I've heard they drop of large bags of passports/IDs at the post office, then the post office need to process them.

Me, I used the Department of Foreign Affairs internal mail. One would think that it would be reliable, but alas no.

Maybe this was the problem, the forms were sent via Department of Foreign Affairs internal mail as the application was lodged in another country. Then the passports were supposed to come back via the same route. So Home Affairs needed to give them to Foreign Affairs in SA to send to us.

Once we were ready to courier them, the embassy had to 'find' somebody at Home Affairs to take them out of the process and provide them to DHL. We canceled it when we found out that only 1 of the 5 passports were ready. Yet the lady put the passport in her drawer and forgot about it, suddenly my passport was lost for a year until I irritated someone enough to find the lady and have her check her office.

IMHO Home Affairs was the earliest and worst implementation of AA. They rushed into transformation and ended up with people who are unqualified and not willing to work.

Once I phoned Pretoria office, took an hour to get a reply. Black lady, puts me through to a white lady. White lady tells me that the black lady should not have put her through as it was her job to handle the specific query I had. Luckily the lady helped me instead of bouncing me back. There is nothing worse than being bounced between government staff and agencies :D

I ended up with 2 temporary passports and an almost full, proper passport. Unfortunately the lady at the SA embassy in Manila decided to cancel my proper (valid) passport because I can't have a temporary and a proper one at the same time.

So although I had 2 temporary passports, one with a Schengen in it, I could not get into the UK...

Edited by Alwyn

Guest Barbara

Alwyn I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I know how difficult it is to get through to the office in Pretoria.

Do you live in Manila ? I have a great friend from SA who lives in Davao City.

I am just happy that this round of getting SA passports will be our last. I am sure getting Canadian ones will be easier.

Bertus

Hi,

I am currently stuck with my SA passport application. According to the instructions, Section B must be filled in by the person taking the fingerprints and this person should also certify the photograph. I phoned the Calgary police service and their fingerprint techs don't certify photographs and is probably not authorized as a notary public to fill in Section B. Am I missing something? Am I at the right police department? Should this be done at the RCMP? Has anybody done this recently?

Bertus

Alwyn

Hi Barbara.

I used to live in Makati, Manila, but have been back in SA since Aug 2006. Currently also applying for passports for hopefully the last time :)

Guest Barbara

Bertus

We live in Calgary and went downtown to the fingerprint office to get our fingerprints taken and the policeman there "certified" our photos.

I hope this helps.

Alwyn

Good luck.

Bertus

Barbara,

Thanks for the response. I went downtown this afternoon and got the fingerprints done and my photos certified.

The mistake I made was to phone ahead to figure out where I should go. The person I spoke to didn't know the "fingerprint techs" also certified photos for foreign passport applications, so I thought I was at the wrong place.

When I actually got to the "fingerprint tech" this afternoon she was very helpful and even mentioned they do a fair amount of SA passport applications.

Bertus

Jayhawk

Just got my new passport via Ottawa in only 3 months. Pretty good.

campbel

We have just got our Canadian Citizenship and will be getting Canadian passports soon.Our SA passports expire soon the kids have already expired .We don;t really want new ones .Questions !. Entering SA for a holiday how strict do they enforce this rule that SA citizens must enter on a SA passport. If I have to renew i have to tell them I'm a citizen of Canada what form do i use for that I'm not quite sure what to do. Any help will be appreciated

Thanks Campbel

Island Life

In my experience - not strict at all.

Heinrich

Campbel

You are in quite a tricky situation. Did you apply for dual citizenship?

If you did, then you have no other choice to return to South Africa than with your South African passports. Then you would be forced to apply for new passports for your children. Depending on how soon you are taking off, you can just as well apply at the South African High Commission for new passports. One can phone them as well.

If you did not, you will have to ask for the Canadian government to please speed up the process in issuing your passports.

Maybe there would be some way to get temporary travel documents from Citizen and Immigration Canada.