Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

Renewal of South African passports

gajo
Adult Applicants residing in Canada for three years or longer must submit one of the following:

A notarized sworn affidavit stating that they have not applied for Canadian citizenship or citizenship of any other country; 

A letter from Immigration Canada stating that they have not applied for nor was granted Canadian citizenship, or; 

A copy of the letter from the Department of Home Affairs granting permission to the applicant to hold dual citizenship. or

If an applicant was a minor at the time of obtaining citizenship of a foreign country, a certified copy of this country citizenship certificate showing the date when he/she became a citizen

What happens if one has already applied/ become a Canadian citizen, and they want to keep their SA citizenship, for one reason or another?????

Thanks.

Hendie
Moet die RCMP wat die duimafdruk neem die deel invul?

Heeltemal korrek Ria. Dis die ou wat jou finger innie ink druk wat dit moet doen. B)

Voorspoed!

Kolla

"Section B

Must be completed by the Police, Notary Public or other Authorities, who can lawfully take the left thumbprint and full set of fingerprints. This official will also be responsible to mark the reverse side of ONE of the photographs - CERTIFIED A TRUE PHOTOGRAPH OF.." (Please no dry seal on the photographs)"

Ria, maak seker dat julle betyds aansoek doen, ons sinne het nou net meer as 6 mnde gevat om uiteindelik weer hier in Junie in ons posbus aan te kom. Die goeie nuus is dat die dame in Ottawa wat met Paspoorte gemoeid is, baie behulpsaam was en my selfs n paar keer teruggeskakel het, toe ek begin navraag doen het. Elke keer nog as ek gebel het, kon ek met haar praat of het sy my dadelik teruggebel.

As jy wil bel, vra vir die "Passport Office", haar naam is Alla, of so iets, kan nou nie meer so mooi onthou nie. Hulle # is : 613 - 744 0330. Sy is regtig op die 'ball', as n paspoort vandag aankom dan pos sy dit nog dieselfde dag of die vlgde dag, ek het fantastiese diens van haar ontvang.

Wat deesdae langer vat, is kinders wat vroeer op n Child passport was en nou doen jy aansoek vir n gewone paspoort, dit laat almal se paspoorte sloer, andersinds vat n gewone paspoort so 4 mnde gemiddeld nou. My eie paspoort het 2 mnde in Ottawa gele, terwyl ons gewag het vir een van die kinders se paspoorte kom te kom. As jy een koevert saamstuur vir die terug versending ( $ 13.00 omtrent by die poskantoor) dan wag sy totdat almal se paspoorte opgedaag het en stuur dit dan aan.

Ria

Dankie julle

Kolla

Re : To notarize documents for free

Also try your federal member of Parlement ( MP ) or someone who is almost always on short notice available and in town is your local Aldermen ( city counsellor ) I just found out they do it for free as well.

Iza

Hi,

How long does it take these days to renew a SA-passport through the Department of Home Affairs in Ottawa?

My daughters passport exspires in July, only realized it this morning ;):blink:

jen1

I was told to expect around 6 months. Mine expires in August and I applied at the end of January. Have heard nothing back yet and dont expect to till May/June at the earliest. Oh and I dont think you can renew...you have to apply for a complete new one.

Edited by jen1

Jenny

I am in the process of renewing (reapplying) for my SA passport. What confuses me is that the High Commission website states you need 3 photographs while the application form says 2.

Has anybody sent in just two photos? Was the application returned?

Thanks

jen1

I sent in the three photos, make sure the photoshop gives you the correct size, I had to take mine back as they had done them to Canadian Std's even though I had given them the measurements in writing.

I am also now in a position to answer how long it takes. I sent all my stuff to Ottawa in January, my receipt is stamped 18 Jan, I received my new passport last week! I was surprised it was really quick.

Edited by jen1

Jenny

I am pleased to hear that you got your passport back within a short period of time. My passport only expires in December, so I have allowed plenty of time.

Sent everything off to Ottawa on Friday, so I am hoping to have the same experience.

Koosvdm

Just a comment. For those who have to wait for passports in SA. I read last week that SA has run out of passports and will only issue emergency passports. Apparently countries such as UK do not accept temporary passports and the blank passpports available will be issued for emergancies for those countries. There was a statement that people who were planning to tour the UK in June or July might not be able to do so. I don't know how long the printing process of blank passports will take.

Koosvdm

Ok here is a update on the shortage of passports in SA.

More information available on www.news24.co.za

Have passports, can travel

29/04/2006 09:39 - (SA)

SA 'runs out' of passports

SA 'stumped' by passport ban

UK slaps passport 'ban' on SA

Johannesburg - The Department of Home Affairs said on Friday it had never placed any embargo on the issuing of passports and had not run out of paper for passports.

It was reacting to news reports on Friday saying that no new passport blanks were available for processing.

The Witness quoted immigration lawyer Attie Tredoux as saying: "This is shocking and a national crisis."

Tredoux, a former senior Home Affairs official, said it was the first time in the country's history that the department had run out of passport blanks.

The department said in reaction on Friday evening that "the claim that there is a crisis in the issuing of passports cannot be sustained.

"Accordingly, we have been and continue to print passports as expected in order to afford South Africans an opportunity to travel to other countries."

In addition, the Department would on Tuesday receive a consignment of 300 000 end papers for the printing of passports.

Another consignment of 600 000 would be delivered to the department in June.

"It is our firm belief that this consignment will further assist us to produce passports and provide them to their rightful owners.

Edited by Koosvdm

Harry

I thought everyone had seen the earlier thread on the problem.

Koosvdm

Sorry I missed that page. My mistake

Jenny

A question for those that have renewed their SA passport from Canada:

Did you receive a letter from the SA High Commission confirming receipt of your application for a SA passport?

Thanks

Hendie

Not as I can recall Jenny, but we mailed it with Xpresspost (see my little howto near the beginning of this thread), and so could track it via the Internet.

jen1

Nope Jenny

I did not receive anything, I mailed mine expresspost too, and one day had the notice in my box to go and collect my new one from the local post office.

blacklabel24

OK so I am gonna apply for a new SA passport from within Canada. Do I need a BI-9 form...if so where do I get one or can I just use the fingerprint form the police give me?

Thanks

Bryan

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
OK so I am gonna apply for a new SA passport from within Canada. Do I need a BI-9 form...if so where do I get one or can I just use the fingerprint form the police give me?

Thanks

Bryan

Hi Bryan

We answered this question under the other thread where you asked re. how to renew your passport as well.

When we had our sons' passports done, we had to call the SA Consulate in Los Angeles as we were living in Oregon at that time, and they sent us the forms to take to the local police station.

I searched the web site again a day or two ago and could not find a downloadable form for it.

Kolla

Bryan -

I saw somewhere you asked if you need to send in your old passport with your application.

We renewed ours last year and did not send in our old ones, as they still had our US visas in there. We made copies of the old passports and had it notarized and that was fine with the SA consulate here

If you use the search function of this forum, in the top right hand corner of your screen, a lot of your questions will be answered, as it has been asked and answered at great lenght here in the past.

We applied in Dec 04 and received them back in May, if my memory serves me right.

Good luck !

Harties

Bryan -

Ek moet ook aansoek doen vir 'n nuwe paspoort en het dieselfde vrag gehad. Ek het die SA kommisie in Ottawa gebel en hulle se dat jy nie een nodig het nie en kan net vir 'n vinger afdruk vorm vra waar jy jou vinger afdrukke laat doen.

Hoop dit help

Harties

Hendie
Bryan, I moved your question in with the rest of the topic about renewing passports. In this post you will see that the BI-9 is only needed as stated (looks like the link is broken now - they seem to have removed that form from the web!).

Danielcb

Hello Hendie,

I am so glad I found your posting and thank-you for putting all this information out there. I still have a question that im hoping you could answer. I am a Permanent Resident here in Vancouver, Canada and my passport is about to expire. I therefore will have no passport and i was wondering if i should re-apply for my SA passport can i have dual passports. I don’t have citizenship yet so in the affidavit it won’t be a lie to say I am not a citizen of any other country...? What would you advise I do as I need to travel in April for work and I don’t want to get stuck… I know im in :censored: as I should have done this sooner.

Hope to hear back and thank-you in advance.

Daniel Cure-Boulay

Harry

Daniel,

Something in your post is not adding up. How would you have "dual passports"?

Are you implying that you somehow actually have a Canadian passport without being a Canadian citizen?

Adele

Harry, I think Daniel has made a grammatical error that is confusing you. He has SA citizenship and an SA passport that is about to expire. He is wanting to renew it but is wondering if he should apply for dual citizenship when he wants to take on Canadian citizenship.

Daniel,

I recently also had to apply to have our passports renewed. It is a long process and will take more than the 3 months you have. I suggest you also apply for an emergency passport, to cover your trip for business.

You have to travel on a passport and if you do not have Canadian Citizenship you have to have an updated and current SA passport. It is actual a legal requirement of PR that you have a current passport if you still have PR status.

In fact I recently did my citizenship test and someone was turned away from doing theirs as they had an expired passport and no current one. They were not permitted to write and I have no idea why it is a criteria, since they will qualify for a new Canadian one soon after if they had passed the test.

When you apply for your passport. You are correct in assuming you answer No in your affidavit when they question you on your status if you have not yet taken your Canadian Citizenship that entitles you to a Canadian Passport.

If you wish to have dual Citizenship status (which entitles you to hold both Canadian and SA passports), you must apply for permission to do so BEFORE you get your Canadian Citizenship.

If you are not due to apply for Citizenship for a while then I suggest you should apply for your passport first (with an emergency one for the April trip). Then you should complete the "Request to Hold Dual Citizenship forms BEFORE you apply for your Canadian Citizenship. (The SA Government will send you a letter of confirmation about your status) and then you can apply for your Canadian Citizenship.

Hope this helps.