Sign in to follow this  
Karen

This week in Hogtown

Karen

If you are going to be outdoors for a prolonged period, long johns will keep you toasty warm, but if you are just walking to and from a building/mall etc, leave them off. Indoors is just to warm to have double layer of clothing . For me, having a coat which covers most of my lower body and warm boots, is more than enough for venturing out in the cold for brief periods. Nothing worse than being too hot and itchy from too many layers!

Stefan

We took the ferry to the Toronto Islands last Sunday. I'd only ever kayaked around and between them and this was my first time I was on there with dry feet. We took our kids and met up with several friends with the same age kids (toddlers, basically) and had a great time.

Besides the traditional amusement rides that are a rip-off, but kids love if you can keep them that long in a queue to get on, the islands are connected by bridges and boardwalks and have marinas, residential pockets and large amounts of city parkland. The playground and splash pad were a hit. The sandy beach was a hit - we didn't go to the "clothing-optional" beach, as it's labeled, because I'm not very fashion-conscious. Just walking on soft grass with ample-wide mature trees shading me from the hot sun that sparkles on the water out on Lake Ontario and in the channels between the islands, was relaxing enough for me. I don't care much for the view of the big city, but I suppose it could be stunning for others, judging by the number of people getting their online profile pictures taken there.

Getting there from Mississauga was half the fun. What can I say, kids love trains. Going early helped get a good spot on the ferry and kept our ferry wait time short. It was worth the visit.