Sign in to follow this  
Karen

This week in Hogtown

Karen

Congrats on your anniversary, Jen!

Oakland Hall looks a lot nicer than the Keg, I must admit.

If you do choose it, please let us know here how you found the food etc.

Rub some oil of oregano on the kiddies' feet at night - it kills viruses and may help with the coughing, too. Dark choc is also good for helping to stop coughs and it really does work!

Vanessa

Congratulations Jen on your Anniversary!!!!

Karen thanks again for this lovely post, always look forward to reading it, cant wait to get to Toronto, we almost there, hoping for the best!!!!!

The pooles

Hi everyone

Really been enjoying your news about Toronto, we are in the process of applying for jobs and will be putting in our PR application next year. I was speaking to my niece,who lived in Michigan for a year and has a friend who lived in Vancouver for a period of time, and she said she would not consider Toronto because it was freezing. She mentioned that it snows for 6 months of the year and goes to -30C, and doesn't get particularly warm. Her friend said that Vancouver is very much like California weather. From what I have read on the forum this doesn't appear true. I was under the impression that Toronto had lovely warm summers and obviously cold winters but not as cold as she implies, while Vancouver was milder than California.

Please can I have some feedback on the average conditions, because I said I would get some clarification on these facts.

Cheers.

Angela

Karen

No, it does not snow for 6 months of the year!

Here we are in mid November and today is a pleasant 8C with not a speck of the white stuff to be seen!

The worst months in Toronto are perhaps December ( not always) January, February and March, when there can be heavy snowfalls and a few days of really frigid temps. We certainly do not live in minus 30C for more than a few days of each winter. By April, we are seeing definite signs of Spring, May is delightful, June is fantastic, July and August can be Durban hot and September and most of October are just the best, with cooler, crisp and just lovely days.

CLIMATE

Toronto's climate is moderated by Lake Ontario; its climate is among the mildest and least snowy in Canada east of the Rocky Mountain range. The climate has great annual and year to year variability, particularly during the winter months.

There can be significant regional variations in temperatures and even conditions found in Greater Toronto which have some less exaggerated characteristics of those found in large coastal cities, due to such factors as local topography, proximity to the Lake Ontario shoreline, urbanized land density, isolated severe weather, etc. Lake Ontario often experiences large flucuations in water temperature due to upwelling of colder water or warm surface waters creating very localized weather conditions; this is especially true in spring in early summer.

In general, mild periods do occur in most winters (temperatures reach in the 5-10 °C range (40-50°F) and sometimes higher. There are extended snow free periods even in mid-winter, particularly in the city core and areas adjacent to the lakeshore. The average January maximum is -1 °C (30 °F). There are usually a few bitter cold snaps where temperatures go from the average low near -10 °C to lows in the -20°C range (especially in the outer city and suburbs) or occasionally lower with a windchill making it feel colder than -30 °C. The coldest temperature recorded at Toronto Pearson International Airport was -31.3 °C (-24.3 °F) on January 4, 1981, and the coldest wind chill recorded was -44.7 °C (-48.5 °F) on the same day.

Due to its location on the northwest shore of Lake Ontario Toronto is not so prone to heavy, wind-whipped lake effect snow squalls experienced in nearby American cities such as Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse, NY or elsewhere in Southern Ontario, e.g. Barrie and London. All these cities are located to the south or east of The Lakes making them more vulnerable to the winds that cause the lake effect. Despite this, there are usually two or more heavy snowfalls each winter which deposit at least 20 cm (8 in.) accumulation, usually from powerful winter storms known as "Colorado Lows", that also affect other Great Lakes cities and the northeast US, ie. Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Montreal, etc. These are accompanied by strong east or north-east winds fetching additional moisture from Lake Ontario. They frequently come with a volatile mix of snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and sometimes just rain all of which can disrupt transportation and sometimes power supply in the area. Average winter snowfall is 133 cm (52 in). Another less ominous type of winter snowfall is referred to locally as an "Alberta Clipper", these systems usually feature less snow with much more even totals across a wide area before moving on and the snow itself tends to be drier and therefore fluffier. A rare exception to the cities typical winter snows, occurred on January 13th 1999, when the-then Toronto mayor Mel Lastman called in the Canadian Armed Forces to assist with the Snowstorm of 1999 where, within twelve days, Toronto recorded 118.4 cm of snow, much of it lake effect from Lake Ontario. January 1999 became one of Toronto's snowiest January in the past 200 years, but fell short of the snowiest month overall (March 1870, with 158.5 cm).

Summer maximum temperatures typically range from 25–32 °C (77–90 °F) with moderate to high humidity. Temperatures higher than 32 °C (90 °F) occur with increasing frequency and in exceptional cases the mercury approaches or very rarely exceeds 38 °C (100 °F). Summer heat episodes are usually broken by cooler, drier periods not experienced in places further south in the continent. But intense heat episodes pose a health risk to some as they often arrive with high humidity and dangerous levels of airborne smog. Parts of the population, particularly the elderly, are often not properly acclimatized to the heat when it arrives. Air conditioning is fairly common in modern buildings but it is not found everywhere, especially in smaller dwellings in the older sections of the city.

In recent years, air pollution is steadily increasing, mostly from vehicular exhaust and transported air pollution from heavy industry in the Midwest United States and Southern Ontario. There were a record 52 days with "smog warnings" over the summer of 2005, far exceeding the previous annual record of 28 days in 2001. This is believed to part of reason the provincial governments phasing out of coal-fired power generation in the province, although there has been numeours delays for plant shutdowns.

Sunshine is abundant through summer, but severe thunderstorms are a regular occurrence and can pop up quickly, especially west and north of the city in areas more prone to the "lake breeze front" or "lake breeze thunderstorms" phenomenon, in which intense, sharply defined squall lines develop quickly on summer afternoons amplified by localized wind patterns between the Great Lakes. 1. These storms sometimes move into the city. In August 2005 there were two such examples of these type of storms creating havoc, the first occurred on August 2, 2005 and is thought to have been a contributing factor in an Air France Airbus A340 crash landing into a ravine that afternoon. The second happened on the afternoon of August 19, 2005 in what has been described as a "once in a thousand year" event, up to 183 mm (over 7 in.) of rain fell in parts of the northern end of the city in under a couple of hours. Numerous roadways and bridges were washed out and insurance claims from backed-up sewers and flood damage exceeded $500 million - the worst flood in Toronto in 51 years. One major thoroughfare, Finch Avenue West, was completely washed out by Black Creek creating a huge 7 m (23 foot) deep hole. Re-construction of the roadway was completed more than six months later.

Such events with greater intensity are likely to occur more often in the future because of Global Warming and increased Urbanization due to the Urban heat island. For example, in the past fifteen years the average annual temperature has increased 0.85 °C (1.5 °F) at Pearson Airport when compared to the thirty-year normals from 1971-2000, much of this increase is occurring at night, the average minimum temperature in the last ten years (1997-2006) has risen dramatically by 1.7°C (3°F) over the same 30-year normal period albeit compared to a much shorter period of record. The previous decade has seen remarkable stretches of above normal conditions. At the airport, from 1998 (the warmest year on record) through the end of 2006 there were only 17 of 84 months with below average temperatures (80% of the months were above normal compared to the 30-year averages). A previous study [1] analyzes the heat island effect comparing data from selected regional stations, including both Downtown Toronto and Pearson Airport.

Springs and autumns feature varied weather with alternating periods of dry, sunny weather and rain. These seasons are brief when compared to summer or winter seasons. Nights are generally cool, but frosts are rare in the city. Snow can fall in early spring or late fall but usually melts quickly or just after contact with the ground. At these times of year, great temperature contrasts (up to 30 °C) can occur within a short time frame due to rapidly changing air masses that sweep across the continent.

The highest temperatures in Toronto at the city weather station was 41 °C (105 °F) recorded on 3 consecutive days from July 7-July 9, 1936. The coldest -33 °C (-25 °F) was recorded on January 10, 1859. Annual average precipitation is 83.4 cm (32.8 in).

miena

Hi Angela,

Toronto is a very generalized word and can incude other cities, normally called GTA. I suggest that you visit Environment Canada to obtain the exact numbers for the area you are targeting. They keep historical data online. The weather in Toronto West can be very differnt from a city such as Oshawa or Whitby that is only 30 min away going east. This is at large due to the lake and you proximity to the lake. Snow quality in Hamilton (south of the lake is wet snow) is different say from Scarborough that is north of the lake (dry snow) and so it goes. One of our key studies in settling in Toronto was to find out where the snowbelt is. I first lived in Thornhill (Suburb in the City of Vaughan) and then in Etobicoke (suburb in Toronto). Basically this meant that I moved south and west in relation to the lake. I was now closer to the lake itself and as such have seen a difference in temp shift and snow accumulation. I attach the link for you to get exact data. http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/Welcome_e.html. Hope this clarifies.

The pooles

Hi

Thanks for all your valuable and interesting information, it certainly puts everything in perspective. Everyone seems to think the weather in Canada is almost like the North Pole- I am definitely going to send this onto to my niece. I think unless you live there you can't be an expert on the subject.

cheers.

Angela

Karen

Too true. Unless you have actually experienced a place for a while first- hand, you should ask the locals for their comments, rather!

Honestly, for me, Toronto only has two really bad months - January and February. I say that, because November and December are so busy gearing up to Christmas and we are all still adapting to the colder weather, but Jan and Feb, well they can be very bleak and miserable. The festive season is over and you know that the worst of winter is still ahead. However, Feb is a shorter month, we have a public holiday and the weeks do seem to go by quickly. Once you get to March, which can, as they say, come in like a lion and go out like a lamb, you know you are on the home run to Spring, and it all becomes manageable and so much easier again. You know that spring is around the corner and that the best of the year is not far off.

I have to tell you that I was in Jhb this past June, and I have never felt so cold in all my life! I lay in bed at night and shivered, despite an electric blanket, I nearly froze in the bathroom and I felt chilled the entire time I was there and sat around in my jacket constantly. I swore I would never again complain about winter here, as I never feel cold indoors, I dress correctly when I do venture out, my house is always set at a comfortable 24C and I never shiver after a shower!! Give me my climate controlled environment anyday to the chill of a Highveld winter!!

Vanessa
I have to tell you that I was in Jhb this past June, and I have never felt so cold in all my life! I lay in bed at night and shivered, despite an electric blanket, I nearly froze in the bathroom and I felt chilled the entire time I was there and sat around in my jacket constantly. I swore I would never again complain about winter here, as I never feel cold indoors, I dress correctly when I do venture out, my house is always set at a comfortable 24C and I never shiver after a shower!! Give me my climate controlled environment anyday to the chill of a Highveld winter!!

Soo true Karen, here in JHB we feel very cold in the winters BECAUSE most of us do not have a climate controlled environment AND the issues with electricity!!!! one cannot have the pleasure of using a airconditioner!!!!

Karen

Everytime we feel the need to complain about our boring little 'cardboard ' boxes here, especially when compared with SA homes, we should remain grateful for their being so warm and functional here.

My home has natural gas heating, which is ducted throughout all three floors. The same ducts carry my summer aircon. I have a central vacuum system, which makes it so easy to give the entire house a thorough cleaning. My windows are double glazed and well sealed, so no cold ( or hot) air gets into the house when I do not wish it to.

Amazing how we humans adapt when we have to, isn't it?!

Karen

York Region Report

It's flurrying out there and it is cold. Must be about minus 5C with the windchill. I shivered as I walked to my car in the school parking lot and realised that there is no turning back now - winter has a firm foothold for the next few months here. I also realised that today, exactly 15 years ago,we arrived in a cold and wintry Toronto. Yes, it's my second life anniversary today! I hear between 7 and 9 cm of snow will fall between tonight and tomorrow morning, so the drive to work is going to messy. We are still waiting for our street to be tarred. I had a feeling the snow would come before that happened! It may now have to wait until spring

There's a lot of bronchitis going around the school right now. I am holding thumbs that I will be able to stave it off, and I am washing my hands a lot. I carry around a little bottle of antibacterial soap in my purse and use it whenever I touch anything in the classrooms which does not belong to me. Still, I have a drippy nose and feel chilled, as my classroom, for whateever reason, has dysfunctional heating, and the temp is way too low and does not seem to be able to be sorted out. It's going to be a long, cold winter in there! So good to be home now in my warm little box and nothing a nice hot cuppa will not sort out!

I am going downtown on Saturday night to see a production of 'Hamlet" at U of T. As the grade 12's are studying this, it is probably a good idea. These productions are usually excellent, anyway.

Glad that I invested in snow tires two years back. Apparently, there is now a shortage of them as folk realise their worth in the bad weather. I think they make a huge difference, but of course, you still have to be careful and keep your distance and watch your speed and the other guy!

Happy white winter, everyone!!

rockwooder

My winter tyres are on as well, and I'll get to "test drive" them today as it is white here in Kingston as well. While sitting here and writing a little squirrel is peeping through the window (on the deck outside). It is a beautiful morning, small flakes falling from above, about -2C. We are definitely going to enjoy this new season after a beautiful fall.

tazz

Drat! So winter is officially here :cry: As usual, the people managing our building didn't bother to shovel/throw salt on the pavement and the walkway so I had to cross the street and walk on the other side where there is no ice and snow. Which reminds me that I need to buy a pair of decent, non-slip boots.

But I must admit that it was beautiful this morning: no wind, fresh snow piling up on trees. They looked like edible Christmas decorations :P

I am not a winter person (is anyone really???) and will take any opportunity to complain about the weather. But the season does have its benefits. I can spend lazy weekends in my hot apartment without feeling guilty. And best of all, I don't have to worry about driving in these conditions. The TTC is the best part of living in Toronto.

Happy hibernation!

Soz

News from South west GTA (i.e. Oakville).

The first snow fell on Tuesday. I arrived back from a business trip on Wednesday midnight to find that I had to wait 30mins in the cold for a taxi as the drivers do not like going out in the snowy weather.

The dog has now experienced her first snow. At first she was a bit sceptical about this odd white stuff, but she quickly realised that this is nice stuff to play with, especially when hubby keeps thowing snow balls for her to chase. She spent most of yesterday whimpering in front of the door to go and play with the snow and by mid-afternoon all the snow on the front lawn was gone. Not melted, but played away!! :P He took her to the local park to play some more and by the time they got back she was so tired, just fell asleep on her little bed. :lol:

The mornings are now getting a bit chilly and it's cold standing on the platform and waiting for the GO train every morning. It's still better than Calgary though where I have to walk 1km to work from my apartment (Work there 2 days a week).

The cats we are looking after are finding the indoors life difficult and get bored quickly, hence why they managed to knock over our new LCD flat pannel and smashed the screen. :cry: Thank goodness they are only here till next month.

It's hard to believe a month has gone by since my grandma passed away, but life goes on so quickly.

My mom informed me on Monday that my cat (who stayed behind in SA) had to be put down. :blink: Had some intestinal problems apparently. A very sad day for the whole family as we all loved that cat.

That's it from Oakville for now.

Sorina

Karen

Thank you SO much for your contributions here, ladies.

The aim here is to get as many GTA'ers as possible to write in and give those still coming, a glimpse into our lives in the Toronto area. I certainly do not want it to become my diary. Keep your entries rolling in....

Sympathies to you, Sorina, on the loss of your beloved cat. It is now 5 months since my dear Mom passed away, and in some ways it seems like yesterday, and in others it seems so much has happened since then, so I do understand what you mean about life having to carry on, even although it can be so tough when you are missing your loved ones.

York Region

It is so cold here today - it must be about minus 8C with the windchill, but it is bright and sunny, so it can be deceptive when you look out of your windows. Wrap up warmly if you intend going outdoors. There is snow on the ground, but the streets and driveways are clear.

I have been in the computer lab with the kids this morning. It's bright and warm in there, and I find myself peeling my layers off, only to put them on again when I move to cooler areas of the school.

One of my best winter investments two years back, was a down filled coat which reaches to my knees. It is so warm and I like the fact that it keeps my legs cosy, too. The fur trimmed hood zips off, but on days like this, it is good to have it on, as your ears need some protection.

I have a problem with gloves. For some reason, I always lose the right one, so now I have a collection of left ones at home! I need at least 40grams of thinsulate to keep my fingers toasty. I found the same ones I normally lose on a sale, so bought another pair. It won't matter if I lose the left one!

This coming weekend, I am going to look for new boots. Mine are years old and the tread is wearing thin. You need good traction in icy conditions, but I wish they looked more feminine. I have to have a side zipper to put them on and off in a rush!

I am having nine people around for dinner tonight. As I only get home from work at about 4pm, I have to be really organised here ( no one to peel the potatoes for me!). So, last night, I got the chicken marinated and into the fridge. The soup is ready and just needs to be warmed up this evening and my hubby set the table for me. My guests are bringing a salad and a coffee cake. So, here is my menu for tonight:

Pea and Lentil soup served with mini hot rolls

Orange honey marinated chicken ( great - let me know if you want the recipe), brown rice, mixed veges, green salad

Fresh cut up fruit, chocolate tartuffos

Tea/ Coffee and cake.

Thank heavens for my wonderful dishwasher, as it is going to be running a few cycles after all the crockery I will be using!

Vanessa

Hi Karen, enjoy the dinner party!!! I love reading this thread!!!!

Soz, Sorry to hear about your grandmother and your cat. Its also been a month since I lost my grandad whom I was very close to:(

Take care and thanks for all the inputs on this thread!!! Much appreciated :)

PS sorry about your LCD screen :angry:

tazz
This coming weekend, I am going to look for new boots. Mine are years old and the tread is wearing thin. You need good traction in icy conditions, but I wish they looked more feminine. I have to have a side zipper to put them on and off in a rush!

Karen, please let us know what & where you'll buy. I'm not sure what kind of boots have good traction. The zipper is very convenient too, although I don't mind its location.

Thanks!

Karen

Tazz,

Still have not found suitable boots yet. I will have to look again and currently am still wearing my old ones.

York Region Reort.

They tarred my street this week- finally!!! Of course, it happened on a day with snow, but they cleared the street and seemed to do the work in record time. When I came home for my lunch break, I was allowed to access my driveway and left my track marks all over the newly laid tar. No problem - they simply re- tarred it later! The work was completed by the time I got home and our street is looking much better.

We have a storm watch in effect right now. I believe the snow, rain and high winds will start later this afternoon and will make tomorrow's commute a really messy one. I will be able to see if my snow removal company lives up to its reputation.

I managed to get tickets to see " Jersey Boys " next Saturday night. I can't wait, as I believe it is an outstanding show. The tickets were not cheap, but we rarely give ourselves these treats, so what the heck! The show is on at the Toronto Centre for the Performing Arts in North York, so we will leave early and go and have a bite in the area. There are some really nice restaurants there.

Hard to believe that we have reached December again. The stores are full of Christmas mark -downs. I think they want to make a killing before the gloom of January and the deepening recession hits everyone harder.

Karen

The storm never materialised, thank heavens! Some rain, but above zero, so the bit of snow has pretty much melted.

I went for a walk just before it got dark and it was rather pleasant out there, but when I got home my face was red, my nose watery and I needed a good cuppa to warm me up. Still, it was invigorating, to say the least!!!

We are doing battle with a municipal parking company. You can read all about it in the Chat thread. Suffice to say that if the media attention does not get the unfair charges reversed, I may have to learn all about the court system first- hand!!

Truly, there is never a dull moment in Hogtown!

Karen

York Region

It is so, so cold today. I stood at the bus stop this morning ( had an appointment downtown) and I froze, despite my layers of what I felt were really warm clothes. By the time I got on the bus, my fingers were numb and red and it took more than the ride to the subway to get them even marginally back to life!! Temp around minus 24C with the windchill.

So, this is how I was dressed :

Ist layer - underwear, spencer, thermal leggings, warm socks

2nd layer - polo neck sweater, dress pants

3rd layer- fleece zip top

4th layer - down jacket, lined boots, ear covering hat, thinsulate lined gloves, scarf to wrap around neck and mouth.

And I still felt like a block of ice!!!

Best place to be today - INDOORS, somewhere warm and toasty with lots of hot tea, coffee or soup!

I hear tomorrow is going to be even colder, so perhaps, if you are going out ( as I am to work), consider a fifth layer of clothing!!!!

Karen

I went shopping this past weekend at a local mall. Reatail therapy is pretty good in the winter time and present economy. Most stores are trying to get rid of winter stock and make way for the Spring items and they are all over- stocked after the holiday season.

Every place has a more than decent sale going on right now, so found a few bargains.

I got new running shoes ( New Balance- for $79.99 - down from $129.99

I got a gorgeous, dressy top from Laura's for $49.99 - down from $125.99

I got four Jones of New York and Haggar items at the Bay for $200.00 ( each item was less 40- 60%).

It's a good feeling to find things at decent prices and not to have to pay the highly inflated marked ones.

Oh, off topic, York Region remains one of the safest communities in Canada in which to live - only one murder recorded last year.

Merv

Why DO 99% of prices end with .99? (and why do we feel so comfortable quoting them? B) ) Come to think of it, where DO the flies go to in Winter? and If the universe is expanding, where exactly is it expanding into? (these are things that keep me awake at night)

Karen

I think the .99c is a pyschological thing, which cleverly allows us to think we are paying less than we really are!! Say, for example, something is marked at $49.99, it seems better than $50.00, although in reality, it is exactly the same. It is the way we have been conditioned and nothing more than a clever marketing ploy I also wish would be dropped.

Flies cleverly put themselves to sleep in winter, hence the lack of baby ones until the warm weather appears! B)

The universe is expanding and bits keep falling off of it to keep it in check!!! ;)

jen1
The universe is expanding and bits keep falling off of it to keep it in check!!! ;)

But what happens if we are on one of the bits that falls off? B)

Karen

If you are on a bit that falls off, well, you never know where you could land up!!! B)

Hopefully, not back in SA!!!!

Jean C

Oh, please no! Not SA BUT a nice, warm, sunny place could be very nice right now.

Jean