Sign in to follow this  
Hendie

RAAI-RAAI

Hendie

In the spirit of pointing out some of the interesting, and sometimes not so well known places of Canada, I want to kick off a quiz type travel discovery thread. Below is a photograph of the main street of a town in Canada. Can you identify it?

2003-05%20WhereIsIt.jpg

Eugene

Banff?

Hendie

Nee Eugene, Banff se hoofstraat het 'n middelmannetjie:

2003-05%20Banff.jpg

debbieD

I also think it's Canmore.

Hendie

Good job Guys, Canmore it is!

Hendie

Hier is so 'n paar meer plekke vir julle om te herken, dié met komplimente van dlam:

2003-05%20WhereInCanada1.jpg

2003-05%20WhereInCanada2.jpg

2003-05%20WhereInCanada3.jpg

2003-05%20WhereInCanada4.jpg

miena

I have absolutely no idea...must be GIANT town? Can only be in the USA.....but then the goose throws me off..Mmmmm.....I quit :ilikeit:

Guest Stompie

Goose is in Quill Lake, Saskatchewan?

Pasanka is in Vegreville, Alberta.

Guest Stompie

Die Ukranian Wors in Mundare, Ab,is seker gemaak van daai ou groot gans in die kerkie by die jaarlikse bazaar?

dlam

Those of you who made the connection to Ukaranians, were right. A lot of the first framers in northern alberta, were Ukranians. Their culture is still live and well. One can see that in the Ukranian Heritage park that is east of Edmonton, all the churches in and around Edmonton and the dances.

One of my colleagues is Ukranian and he is still performing the dances. The duck is in Andrew and the Ukranian Greek Orthodox church is in the countryside between Two Hills and Andrew.

Those of you who said that the easter egg is in Vegreville, were correct.

The big sausage, I think one calls it a kabaso, is in Mundare. The latter is absolutely a beautiful well kept little town. Most of the times the little towns are unkept and one can see the poverty, but not this little one. I was impressed.

Harry

Raai Raai : WHERE this is and WHAT is the other name of the tree:....

Clues:

1. Folks from Namibia and the Dry Northwest Cape should recognise the trees...they are Suidwesdorings

2. There is a good chance that lovers of a good steak on the griddle could figure this out

3. For those following this forum closely...Liesbet might just know where this is.

4. It is often the hottest town in that country.

5. They keep boerbokke in that area.

6. One particular vowel occurs 4 times in the name of the place.

7. Birds live underground in that area.

...yes, some of the clues, while 100% true, are utterly misleading.

...yes, one clue is a dead give-away.

doringboom.jpg

thelategans

It does not have 4 vowels, but what about Kuruman (Die Oog)

thelategans

or how about Schweizer-Reneke ?

Harry

So far....

1. The Lategans 1 : Kuruman ...Nope! While there are indeed some Suidwesdorings and lots of cattle for steak at Kuruman, the downstream area from Die Oog does not look anything like this! Kururman can get very hot, but is not the hottest place in that country! You get ONE STAR :angry:

2. The Lategans 2: Schweizer-Reneke ....Nope!, I think the koppies and the grass around the water are both wrong for Wes-Transvaal, even though it is also great steak country! As I recall Schweizer-Reneke is very flat country!? Since I feel good today...I'll award you another star for bravery. :lol:

I'm starting to enjoy this! This could get to be fun!...what about boerbokke and Liesbet? What about the other name for the tree!?

Pierre

Is it perhaps an olive tree.

And around Upington or the Kalahari Gemsbok Ntl Park?

However i dont remember water in that area except the orange river.

Botswana - Okawanga swamps ?

Harry

Pierre,

Because you think that a Suidwesdoring is an olive tree, I'll sommer for snaaksigheid award you a booby prize :angry: ( Just joking)

No...it is not the Okavango Swamp or Botswana at all. Botswana has no hills, except right near rthe Transvaal, and there are no pine trees on those Botswana hills!

The trees are definitely Suidwesdoring, but one of the keys here is in knowing the other ( English) name of Suidwesdoring....or, alternatively, you need to figure out why it got the name Suidwesdoring...I gave you the clue ( Namibia.) The folks who live in the Dry Northwest know trhat the Soetdoring sort of runs out of steam where it eventually gets too dry.

Upington certainly has heaps and heaps of Suidwesdorings and they actually spread east along the Orange River. However, the Orange is bigger than this stream and the hills at Upington look nothing like this either. Upington has one pointy ittle hill north of town on the way to the Kalahari Gemsbok Park. That hill is a nature reserve. To the east of town it is a bit more hilly, but much drier than the picture and CERTAINLY NO PINE TREES...look in the background on the hill!

CLUE!: Pine trees on hills guys...pine trees.....

Clue: Where does the Suidwesdoring come from? What is its actual name?

Edited by Harry

Pierre

Jy praat seker nie van Okakarara nie...?

Of Otumborombonga ?

Edited by Pierre

Harry

Pierre,

now you have Namibia.....Nope! Still wrong! Yes, many Suidwesdorings in Suidwes. No wild-growing pine trees in Namibia.

Not even close, broer!

Clue: Are Suidwesdoring indigenous to Suidwes?

Harry

The answers are all on SACanada.

...except for one, namely "....what is the other name of Suidwesdoring?"

Edited by Harry

thelategans

OSOYOOS !!!!

Harry

10:10..OSOYOOS..see! It can be done! :angry:

In the USA, where the trees are indigenous, they are called MESQUITE!

1. Folks from Namibia and the Dry Northwest Cape should recognise the trees...they are Suidwesdorings

TRUE: These trees grow all over the Northwestern parts of SA and in Namibia. Also in Iran Iraq etc. They were introduced to Namibia by the Germans, but soon spread into SA where they were seen as coming from "Suidwes"...hence, "suidwesdorings". A very tough plant that kills off other plants.

2. There is a good chance that lovers of a good steak on the griddle could figure this out

TRUE: In Texas a decent steak is always done on Mesquite wood...fundamental cultural point

3. For those following this forum closely...Liesbet might just know where this is.

???: Elizabeth is in Penticton, very near Osoyoos

4. It is often the hottest town in that country.

TRUE: In summer Osoyoos is almost always the hottest place IN CANADA!

5. They keep boerbokke in that area .

TRUE: See below for a picture taken just outside Osoyoos

6. One particular vowel occurs 4 times in the name of the place.

TRUE: OsOyOOs......4X "O"

7. Birds live underground in that area.

TRUE: Osoyoos is famous for its near-extinct Burrowing Owls

The tree picture originally posted was taken at Easter 2001 just south of the town! The view is to the Southeast across a marsh in the Okanagan (which is called the Okanogan in the USA, just 4 km away).

Boer goats:

boer.jpg

Harry

New RAAI RAAI:

I know it looks like just outside Ladybrand in the Free State, but what is this place and where is it?

clueless.jpg

Clues:

1. There are five distinct words in its name, just like “swartwitpensbokrivierberg”, on the way to Thabazimbi, has six.

2. The name refers to an anatomical part

3. The name refers to an animal

4. Someone was killed there

5. It happened when something could not stay airborne

6. It is not a town..it is a place

7. Kevin Costner danced with the another animal in that movie ( see my response to SkiBum below)

Edited by Harry

Pierre

I know the place, at least I think I do... but Im not going to say in case it is elsewhere. I dont like booby prizes.

Harry

Ag nee man, Pierre! This is an easy one.

OK! I promise not to hand out booby prizes again when you have the wrong continent ;) . I'm pretty sure you know this one.