Sign in to follow this  
Adele

Langley: Annual SA Picnic in the Park and Potjie Competition!

Adele

A Southern African Picnic in the Park and Potjie Competition

post-433-1211668552.gif

WHAT: END of SUMMER PICNIC Braai's/bbq's can be enjoyed and games can be played by all ages. Whole families and all those singles out there to! Even those Southern African pets are welcome! This Picnic will be on a smaller scale, as my supporter and co-organizer has not been well and will not be taking part this year!

WHEN:Sunday, August 10th, 2008 9am - 8pm, or later, once you start to have fun! The park opens at 7AM and it is a first come basis for the tables near the shelter (which we have reserved again this year).

WHERE:Marpole Shelter, Derby Reach, Fort Langley. I will be there earlier to reserve some tables and some grassed areas nearby.

post-433-1211668469.gif

DERBY REACH REGIONAL PARK

Located at the North end of the Township just off 208th street on Allard Crescent. Wander deeply shaded trails, walk fields once farmed by pioneers, fish the Fraser River, or imagine the bustle of a trading post while standing on the site of the first Fort Langley – includes an excellent fishing bar with overnight camping facilities, cycling on the Fort-to-Fort Trail and the Edge Farm Trail, off-leash dog area is provided at Edgewater Bar and horseback riding is permitted on the Houston Trail.

Everyone brings along:

Their own drinks and meat for the bbq and buns.

If you last name starts with A - M bring a salad and N - Z bring a desert for the share table.

Own picnic blanket, sun umbrella and lawn chairs.

Once again we have the covered shelter (which provides wood and a 'braai pit') but if you wish to bring along your own gas bottle and braai/skottel feel free to do so.

Don't forget the towels (the kids get muddy and wet), the games e.g. volleyball, badminton, RUGBY balls etc and for the more lethargic and laid back folks, your lawn chairs and pillows. :rolleyes:

I will provide all serving utensils, cutlery, paper plates and napkins. I will also provide charcoal for the 'potjiekos steel plates'. These will be metal serving platters to place the charcoal on top of, which you then place your potjie on to cook your specialty dish!!!

Gourmet POTJIE COMPETITION

If you wish to participate in the competition, bring along all your paraphanelia, and cook up a storm for the judges. Tasting will take place at about 3pm. There will be a prize for the winning potjie. All entrants must be done at 3pm for the tasting so get started early!!!

MORE INFORMATION WILL FOLLOW AS WE GET CLOSER TO THE DATE

Please contact me on Adele(at)SACanada.org for more details or call me on 604.575.4042

post-433-1211668413.jpg

Adele

I need to confirm who will actually be taking part in the potjie competition. I need numbers of pots as I need to arrange 'cooking spots' and space.

Please send me a private mail with your first and last name.

Thanks

Adele

Nando's, Out of Africa Trading and Safari Pies

This is to let you know that these fine companies have again stepped up to the "Potjie" and are once again donating some fabulous prizes!

Below is a list of the prizes that our brave contestants are aiming to win!

First Prize

- a basket ($50 value) - Nando's

- 1 set of African Lady Crockery ($25 value) - Out of Africa Trading

$20 voucher - Safari Pies

Runner - up

- 1 set of African Lady Crockery ($25 value) - Out of Africa Trading

- a $25 gift voucher - Nando's

2nd Runner - up

- $20 voucher - Safari Pies

- a $10 gift voucher - Nando's

If you want to participate as a contestant in the potjiekos competition, please let me know. I do need to make arrangements around the 'fire-pit' for the contestants and their pots!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Adele Mace-Putter

Adele

In my hast, I omitted to mention Nixie Kriel of Avon who has graciously donated a "Most Feminine Influence" Prize - a basket of goodies valued at $30.

Thank you Nixie!

Adele

Some more 'goodies' have been donated for some game prizes!

Hats,coffee mugs, a couple of pens and a nice clock from Ian Borton, Advance Bending.

Thanks to Ann and Doug of Vantage Pools who have donated our "Surprise" draw gift.

A tree /shrub/plants from Badger Earthmoving, Dan Skals.

A barbeque buddy grid, Allistair Ball Gofor Agencies. These are in high demand and I must say they are not going to be around for much longer!

I do hope that a lot of people will join us on this wonderful day! If you have nothing going on and want to relax and smell some good food on the braai (BBQ) then join us for a fun time.

Adele

GOLDEN KAAN Fine South African Wines

Spot prizes sponsored by GOLDEN KAAN and Vinterra Wine Merchants.

The grapes for GOLDEN KAAN are grown on selected vineyards in the Western Cape region, which offers ideal conditions for growing wines of excellent quality. Further contributing to the high quality and authenticity of this South African wine are modern wine-making methods by KWV vineyards and estate bottling in South Africa.

Some of the GOLDEN KAAN wines now available through BC Liquor include (others are available through most fine liquor merchants:

SAUVIGNON BLANC

A bright, fresh South African SAUVIGNON BLANC. Loaded with tropical fruit, crisp melon, peach and mineral notes. The freshness is further complimented by well-balanced and complex flavours on the palate.

SHIRAZ!

Spice up your meal with our distinct and spicy South African SHIRAZ! This wine’s bouquet suggests ripe berries with green pepper and spicy flavours. There is excellent follow through onto the palate where the peppery flavours dominate. The well-integrated, ripe tannins make for easy accessibility.

Visit them online at Golden Kaan or Vinterra Wine Merchants

post-433-1218156588.jpg

Adele

Rain or Shine, the Picnic will go ahead!

From Accu Weather

A passing morning shower; otherwise, some sun. Winds from the SSE at 16 km/h.

Realfeel®: 20 °C

Adele

It was a great day, although it started out with a down pour! The sun came out and everyone had a fun time. We got a group picture of the ‘clean up crew’ which I was very thankful to have this year!

post-433-1218586396.jpg

I get a new crowd each year, although in the past I have had more attendees. I think the weather plays a big part in the decision making for families.We had 176 adults, about a dozen children and almost as many four legged kids to!

Below is a list of who won what! Once again a HUGE thank you to EVERYONE who helped make it such a success! I am already planning the next Pub night, Christmas for this year and the Picnic and Potjie Competition for next year. Keep August 22nd of next year free as that is the date of the next years Picnic in the Park - I do hope you can join us!!

Winner 2008 – Rob Hepworth

a basket ($50 value) - Nando's

1 set of African Lady Crockery ($25 value) - Out of Africa Trading

Trophy – Adele & Michael Putter

Bottle of Golden Kaan Wine - Vinterra Wine's

The winner hard at work with his 'hired server'

post-433-1218586634.jpg

1st Runner up – (2nd Place) Kate Moore

1 set of African Lady Crockery ($25 value) - Out of Africa Trading

a $25 gift voucher - Nando's

2nd Runner up – (3rd Place) Paul de Lange

a $10 gift voucher - Nando's

Stirrer of the year – Johan van Zyl (new prize offered this year)

VERY Large wooden spoon – Hilda Moore

$5 gift Voucher - Nando’s

Put up with the insufferable chef prize – Kate Moore (for her husband’s potjie that she had to keep secret for 11 months and they entered separately)

Basket of goodies valued at $90 – Nixie Kriel , Avon

$5 gift Voucher - Nando’s

Lucky draw prizes was won by various people. Prizes were

Golf balls – Lee Reynolds, RBC Dominion Securites (Financial Services Division)

Hats - Ian Borton, Advance Bending.

Coffee mugs - Ian Borton, Advance Bending.

A couple of pens - Ian Borton, Advance Bending

Bottle coolers – Ian Borton, Advance Bending

Clock - Ian Borton, Advance Bending.

Glass Dazzler - Ann and Doug, VantagePools

A barbeque buddy grid - Allistair Ball Gofor Agencies.

A Photo frame – Adele & Michael Putter

Coasters – Adele & Michael Putter

5 Bottles of Golden Kaan Wine - Vinterra Wine's

About 80 T-shirts - Basil Chokie, Taco Del Mar/Macs Convenience Stores,

About 50 Ladies Shaver’s – Kate Moore

Once again a BIG THANK YOU to all who participated in the days events and to all that helped out after wards - THANK YOU so much!!!

robert

Well done Adele :huh:

canuck nick

Thank you Adele for organising such an event. Well done to Rob

Adele

As always it was my pleasure! Hope to see you all again next year, and that your circle of friends will have grown and you can bring them along!

Nixie

Thank you Adele for organising this great event!! We will more than likely join you next year and participate in the potjiekos competition. Rob - beware, we will be practising our potjiekos skills and craftmenship ... :huh:

Take care, Nixie