Sign in to follow this  
Snowflake

Canadian Photo Album

Snowflake
ebow3d: The other day, we were on the beech in Blouberg. It was a lovely sunny day, and the kids enjoyed it thoroughly. I could not help but think about us leaving SA soon. Now, I do not for one moment doubt our decision to leave and I know that SA is not the only beautifull place in the world. However, I thought it would be cool to have a threat where us people still in SA can put photos of places of interest in SA. Personally, I always enjoy looking at the photos the guys in Canada post, like the 'Vancouver Diaries' Anyway, here are some pics of the beech at Blouberg.

ebow3d

Thanks for the lovely idea. My counter thought: how about starting a similar post for photos by ex South Africans currently based through out Canada, presenting us with some lovely photos from right across Canada to assist those of us still doubting our final choice to move to Canada on a daily basis. - i.e some motivation!!

It would be lovely if you could show us what is out there and what we are missing out on - it might just give those of us still here in SA reminising over the lovely "weather" we will be missing out on once we leave, to realize that there are just SO much more out there for us besides weather. I'll start off with a lovely picture from the absolute top of Whistler in Vancouver in Summer time (I think it was in 2002 or 3?).

Have fun everyone! Looking 4fard to your pics!

Snowflake

Karen

Long Beach, Tofino, BC - early June, 2007

IMG_0151_2_1.jpg

IMG_0150_1_1.jpg

Cathy K

Also look here.

Cathy K.

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

View from our street in Langley, BC.

Pq5cjf6J.jpg

On my Son's School Field Trip to the IMAX in Vancouver :

aVllifA.jpg aVllJH9.jpg

Pq8fqer.jpg aVln1_S.jpg aVliO6A.jpg

aVlnvWA.jpg aVlogki.jpg aVloML9.jpg

Traveller

I'm not sure how this will work on the web, but here is a panoroma (about 20 pics stiched together) taken from near my house in Kitsilano, Vancouver. It was taken from Jericho beach, looking towards downtown Vancouver. Infortunately it was a cloudy day, so the mountains are hidden. (Enlarge photo to see the full effect.)

post-2547-1208891508.jpg

happystones

There is more than Vancouver.

This is a beach in Lake Huron, great camping holiday. Swimming in fresh water is actually really nice, and you could probably drink the water it is so clean.

Then the other pic is in the forest areas close to North Bay, just to show, more sun, and you can ride Ducati bikes in Canada.

This is all around Toronto , in a General sense, for those who don't know where North bay is.

If you feel like it you can also ride a horse and cart, mennonites in Mount Forest, 200km from Toronto, but I prefer the heated car.

In the car we can drive on water, once properly frozen, this is about 600km north of Toronto, New Liskeard.

And lastly, just about every town has a lake or river, and looks very picturesque, there are hundreds of thousands of lakes like this, and of course bigger too, in Ontario. Before I get critisized, yes, in every province of Canada, there are thousands of lakes.

Traveller

Hi happystones

This thread was a bit quiet. Thanks, good photos.

We moved from Ontario to BC about 2-1/2 years ago, and yes I agree there are beautiful parts in Ontario also.

I found this one in my collection the other night. It is the Parliament in Ottawa from about 100 meters away, in winter. ;)

post-2547-1211570019.jpg

Okay, sorry, I am stirring and cheating :blink:. I did not take it, it was taken by the Parliament webcam from across the street.

And Algonquin park and around the lakes are quite scenic - esp in fall.

For those interested, here is a Vancouver webcam near my house.

happystones
Hi happystones

This thread was a bit quiet. Thanks, good photos.

We moved from Ontario to BC about 2-1/2 years ago, and yes I agree there are beautiful parts in Ontario also.

I found this one in my collection the other night. It is the Parliament in Ottawa from about 100 meters away, in winter. ;)

Okay, sorry, I am stirring and cheating :blink:. I did not take it, it was taken by the Parliament webcam from across the street.

And Algonquin park and around the lakes are quite scenic - esp in fall.

For those interested, here is a Vancouver webcam near my house.

I like the Ottawa picture perhaps it really captures the essence of winter in Ottawa.

Based on that, I am going to add another rule in my personal rule book of places to avoid, just below the rule, Do not move to Fort Mc Murray, or Edmonton, and just above the rule, Do not move to Witbank.

Edited by happystones

Island Life

Do not move to Fort Mc Murray, or Edmonton :blink:

Why - what's wrong with Edmonton?

redeye

I'd live in Fort McMurray in a heartbeat before ever considering life as an Ottawa drone.

Traveller
I like the Ottawa picture perhaps it really captures the essence of winter in Ottawa.

It also captures the excitement of the lively debate in parliament. :blink:

Yes, I remember well the first time I went to Ottawa in winter. It was in May 1993. I remember it because the vision of tree branches being enclosed in layers of ice is still clear in my head.

My climate memory from living there is standing at a bus stop early morning, below -50C including wind-chill. We were new immigrants, did not own a car.

One time, being stranded after going for a job interview somewhere, I called up the bus-info hotline, and was told the next bus was like 2-3 hours away. Gave up on that idea.

I'd live in Fort McMurray in a heartbeat before ever considering life as an Ottawa drone.

Well, I cannot comment on that, never been to Fort McMurray. But perhaps you put your finger on what is wrong with Ottawa.

Actually it is not a bad place, and one gets used to any climate in my opinion. It is not even the people, they are nice enough.

It was the bureacratic institutions that got to us. The red-tape hoops you have to jump through just to get a job in the Federal capital.

Maybe I am biased, but I have reason ...

Snowflake

Guys, guys, guys

Poor Ottawa is really not THAT bad and can certainly not be any worse then South Africa, but let me remind you about the purpose of this thread.... picutres?

I love Toronto so anyone out there with more pics of TO? Here's one of a street car downtown....

Snowflake :rolleyes:

debbieD

Here are a few from my collection:

Lantzville beach

Rocky Mountain road

Saltspring Island

Esquimalt park, Victoria

post-7-1211652077.jpg

post-7-1211652569.jpg

post-7-1211652604.jpg

post-7-1211652750.jpg

Traveller
Poor Ottawa is really not THAT bad and can certainly not be any worse then South Africa, but let me remind you about the purpose of this thread.... picutres?

Snowflake :rolleyes:

Oh it is pretty bad in my experience, but we won't compare it to South Africa. :) (Anyway, as I said, the city itself is quite pleasant. Really.)

However, you are right - this is not a discussion tread, but a picture thread, so I will bury my grudges and post links to some pics showing some of the fun times we had in Ottawa.

For example skating on the Rideau canal. Originally built for shipping in summer, they claim it is the biggest skating rink in the world - I think roughly 8kms. Lots of fun in winter.

So here are links to some Ottawa photos and Quebec photos, I posted on another thread about 2 years ago. (Right click and open in new window or tab).

Also these two photos: Winnipeg and Niagara Falls in winter, showing that Ottawa is not the only place with extreme temperatures.

And some new photos. Ottawa has some beautiful old (and new) buildings. Next time, I will post pictures from other cities/provinces, but for good measure, here is an old church (in Ottawa) near the Art Museum and bridge, at sunset.

And lets try to make the Ottawa webcam a live link. I'm not sure if it will work, but in theory a browser refresh every few minutes should yield a new pic. Interesting to watch when there is a festival in Ottawa. Try it on Canada day (1 July).

For those who don't know Ottawa, the thing that looks like a fountain at the beginning of the foot-path is actually an "eternal flame" People usually gather around it. The parliament buildings themselves are also quite stunning, I reckon.

newhillcam.jpg

Postmas

Here is Gang Ranch in BC, one of the most awesome places to see with all the cattle and working Cowboys.

post-607-1211677287.jpg

Snowflake
Here is Gang Ranch in BC, one of the most awesome places to see with all the cattle and working Cowboys.

Montxsux wonderfull that you could see beyond your Otttawa-obsession.... lol just kidding!! Lovely pictures and please do send more.

Postmas yours is a bit different and really something that makes me think about the lovely working cowboys in cowboy country... maybe we should consider gang ranches in BC instead of BC!!!! :rolleyes:

Gianna

Hi there

Love the pics. It is really beautiful there. Does anyone have any pics of Edmonton, I would really like to see more of the plce where I will be living.

Thanks so much

Traveller
Montxsuz wonderfull that you could see beyond your Otttawa-obsession.... lol just kidding!! Lovely pictures and please do send more.

Oh well, if there is one thing that we as (ex) South Africans should know, it is that one should move on quickly after encountering one of life's little (or even not so little) problems.

Since my family and I have travelled to 11 of the 13 provinces and territories of Canada, I thought I might do a quick pictorial whirl-wind tour of the country, from east to west, as a kind of a tribute to our time in Canada. I have crossed Canada east to west by land more than once, and north to south once. Unfortunately, it is not always picture perfect, as sometimes the weather or nature does not want to play along.

My Newfoundland pictures I found are not particularly good or interesting, but here are a few places I remember. Perhaps it will get the message across. The "Rock" is a part of the world where people have been dependent on the sea for a long time (but now it is becoming oil rather than fish). The friendliest people anywhere. If you stand in the street with a map, the locals will actually come up to you and ask how they can help.

There are hundreds of colourfully painted wooden houses around downtown St. Johns. Here is a painted wooden church. I liked the way the light struck only the steeple. It is right next to the province's Governor's residence . The property was not even fenced off properly, and you can just wander into the gardens and have a look around. No guards to be seen. We were even greeted by one one of the inhabitants, who struck up a conversation while walking a dog. The sort of non-security mentality that New Zealanders will understand, but which will be totally foreign to South Africans.

We went on a boat trip from St. Johns, going north, hoping to see whales, puffins and icebergs. They promise you that on all the tourist brochures, right? Alas, all we saw was a handful of puffins (too fast and too far to be photographed from a moving boat in windy weather), no whales, and my wife got rather sea-sick But it was a bit late in the season (end-Sept). Anyway, there were heaps of other sea birds, some of them nesting in quite inaccessible places. The coastline is quite rugged. It is beautiful territory.

Then we drove west (far west) and visited the Gros Morné National Park (Still on the Rock). Contrary to popular myth, we did not see one single moose in Newfoundland. But the landscape is simply stunning, near unspoilt wilderness. However, in the National Park we had nice weather only on the first afternoon, when I took no pictures at all. The rest of the time was cloudy and rainy. So this picture does not do justice to the landscape - the mountains were hidden in the clouds. We really want to return there some day, maybe soon. A lot of people don't know that the Vikings (my ancestors) landed in Newfoundland like a thousand years ago (I forget when) - long before Columbus set foot in the Americas. Remnants of the settlement can be visited several hours north of Gros Morné National Park. This is getting closer to Greenland (of course a Danish dependency).

Until Nova Scotia ...

Edited by Montxsuz

Najran

Sorry you missed seeing icebergs on your trip Montxsux, spring is the best time for viewing, we flew from St John's to Gander yesterday & it looks like this year is another bumper year for icebergs. Last year was spectacular too ... here are some icebergs in Southport Newfoundland.

13.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

2.jpg

Liz

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia. Lobster fisherman were also very busy checking their traps.

post-141-1211921873.jpg

post-141-1211921941.jpg

Traveller

I have had to edit my previous post to use external links (to my personal website) to try and conserve "attachment space". So here goes again:

Newfoundland (and Labrador)

My Newfoundland pictures I found are not particularly good or interesting, but here are a few places I remember. Perhaps it will get the message across. The "Rock" is a part of the world where people have been dependent on the sea for a long time (but now it is becoming oil rather than fish). The friendliest people anywhere. If you stand in the street with a map, the locals will actually come up to you and ask how they can help.

There are hundreds of colourfully painted wooden houses around downtown St. Johns. And here are a few of them ...

NFL4-s.jpg

Here is a painted wooden church. I liked the way the light struck only the steeple. It is right next to the province's Governor's residence . The property was not even fenced off properly, and you can just wander into the gardens and have a look around. No guards to be seen. We were even greeted by one one of the inhabitants, who struck up a conversation while walking a dog. The sort of non-security mentality that New Zealanders will understand, but which will be totally foreign to South Africans.

ntna1003l.jpg

We went on a boat trip from St. Johns, going north, hoping to see whales, puffins and icebergs. They promise you that on all the tourist brochures, right? Alas, all we saw was a handful of puffins (too fast and too far to be photographed from a moving boat in windy weather), no whales, and my wife got rather sea-sick But it was a bit late in the season (end-Sept). Anyway, there were heaps of other sea birds, some of them nesting in quite inaccessible places. The coastline is quite rugged. It is beautiful territory.

nlna1021l.jpg

Then we drove west (far west) and visited the Gros Morné National Park (Still on the Rock). Contrary to popular myth, we did not see one single moose in Newfoundland. But the landscape is simply stunning, near unspoilt wilderness. However, in the National Park we had nice weather only on the first afternoon, when I took no pictures at all. The rest of the time was cloudy and rainy. So this picture does not do justice to the landscape - the mountains were hidden in the clouds. We really want to return there some day, maybe soon. A lot of people don't know that the Vikings (my ancestors) landed in Newfoundland like a thousand years ago (I forget when) - long before Columbus set foot in the Americas. Remnants of the settlement can be visited several hours north of Gros Morné National Park. This is getting closer to Greenland (of course a Danish dependency).

nlna1022l.jpg

Until Nova Scotia ...

Edited by Montxsuz

Traveller

Nova Scotia

A ferry will take you and your vehicle from Newfoundland to Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Cape Breton is a must-visit destination. A short drive along the Cabot Trial takes you from Nova Scotia to the fishing village of Chéticamp, centre of Acadian (French) culture.

NS3-s.jpg

Chéticamp is also on the edge of the Cape Breton National Park, bordering the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

NS1-s.jpg

We went hiking near the waterfall on the eastern side of the park. After not having seen any moose in Newfoundland, we almost bumped into this one. This photo was taken from a distance of about 2 meters away - in the wild. There was no time to focus the camera. I don't know who was more surprised, us or the moose. Fortunately it was a female. Males can be quite aggressive, especially in mating season, which this was.

NS2.jpg

Leaving the Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail behind, we made an unplanned but worthwhile stop in Truro, Nova Scotia - a pretty town with beautiful homes - on the way to PEI. But the sunset was one of the best I have seen in Canada.

nlna1024l.jpg

Edited by Montxsuz

happystones

I really like all the pics of the east coast. Looks like a great place to visit, I could possibly consider living there too.

To reply to the questions, What is wrong with Edmonton, Fort Mc Murray, simply too cold for too long.

I love the heat, Namibia style, so Toronto in summer is just about warm enough, and the winter, is as short as can be.

Traveller

On to Prince Edward Island (PEI), the smallest province in Canada, with lest than 150,000 people. It used to be a French colony, Like the name suggests, it is also an island. You can reach it by ferry from Nova Scotia or acrross a bridge from New Brunswick.

Charlottetown (the capital) is interesting enough, with a lot of history and culture. But we like to get out of cities and explore the country-side. You can also go to the town up Cavendish and visit the home that was the inspiration for the book Anne of the Green Gables, but it is a bit touristy.

PEI is potato and fishing country. I think this photo was taken near North Rustico, in the north of the island.

nlna1036l.jpg

This rural scene was taken somewhere north of Charlottetown, from memory.

nlna1037l.jpg

PEI has some of the best beaches in Canada. These washed-out traps are on a beach in the Prince Edward Island National Park.

pei5.jpg

Another sunset, still in the PEI National Park (northern part of island), from atop a huge sand dune.

nlna1033l.jpg