Sign in to follow this  
Dedré

Work Permit Time Line

Squire

Just shy of 5 weeks since our WP application was submitted. Holding thumbs we will have a passport request hit my inbox soon!! :mellow:...the nerves....

Squire

CIC website now indicates average of 17 weeks to process a work permit application, it just keeps going up :(:(:( - suppose more and more people are applying or they are understaffed, they must have BUCKET loads of applications to process. Seems that every week I pass, the processing time just goes up, the finish line gets further and further away...

• Like 1

Joubert

Friends of ours applied through a law firm, they're standing on 22 weeks with no feedback so far. You really do need nerves of steel. I'm sure you'll receive feedback way before 22 weeks though! However, I am curious to hear whether anyone else has experienced such a long waiting period? I can't imagine why it should take this long?!

Squire

@Joubert oh my gosh!?!? 22 Weeks??? I would have been at CHC Pretoria at week 16 just because it overlaps the ETA in general. There is no way it should take that long for a work permit application.

Edited by Squire

Joubert

Yes, it's horrible! I'll be sure to reply to this post once feedback was received. Sending many, many good wishes and strengthening thoughts your way! At the end we all walk away stronger :) 

Squire

7 weeks and 3 days so far, come on Pretoria, give me some good news soon...:rolleyes:

Edited by Squire

Squire

My word...

I just received word from someone who was in the WP Pipeline since 13th April 2016, they received final approval on 13th September (just the other day). They arrived in Vancouver yesterday...that's 22 weeks...that's ridiculous :blink:

Joubert

The friends I referred to on an earlier post got their request to submit passports last week. Last week was 24 weeks. After trying to contact Pretoria on numerous occasions no feedback or assistance was received. You really just have to wait it out.

Squire

Hello all!

Seems like forever since I last posted here. Just a timeline update - we are still waiting for my work permit to be approved. So far it is exactly 12 weeks today and still waiting. CIC currently still indicate 17 weeks average processing time in South Africa for a work permit. So I suppose I will just have to hang in there!

Work is thankfully occupying my mind while we wait. As soon as I hear anything this will be the first place I update :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Lanieb

Just hang in there ! I really think it depends on who is working with your papers ?  

Have a a friend who arrived in Canada on Thursday who waited 5 weeks for his WP....

ANDhave other friends  who received notification for their passports for PR just 4 1/2 months after the PR application was submitted ??

Its a waiting game ...... A very stressful waiting game BUT the reward for being patient is wonderful.  

• Like 1

Squire

For those unable to get to CIC to check weekly timeline updates due to the site issues. I was able to get on early this morning as the update came through.

Work permit processing timeline is at 20 weeks now according to CIC website as of today.

• Like 1

Squire

Finally.....everything is in place and approved. My story will follow shortly, what a story it is. But we are good to go. WP approved and in hand today! Am overwhelmed!!! 25 weeks later... 

• Like 3

MissFrowz
6 hours ago, Squire said:

Finally.....everything is in place and approved. My story will follow shortly, what a story it is. But we are good to go. WP approved and in hand today! Am overwhelmed!!! 25 weeks later... 

Congrats to you! That was a long wait! I look forward to hearing your story!

• Like 1

Squire

Thanks @MissFrowz!

Here goes....So, my initial work permit application was refused on 11 November 2016 after 14 weeks citing that the visa officer was not convinced that I was qualified for the position, this was due to the fact that I had not submitted any employment references at all. The fact was, that I offered to produce this material to my immigration lawyers before the application was submitted on the 5th August 2016 but I was advised by them that I shouldn't need to as the LMIA would suffice. Needless to say, this was a mistake.

Luckily I had this in writing. I was devastated with the result however quickly put together a new application with 10 years of employment reference material and submitted on 22nd November 2016. During this time, the lawyers sent letters to pretty much every programme manager and top level person at Canadian immigration requesting a reconsideration as well as expediting of my application, I had letters compiled by my Canadian employer to support that this was now a matter of urgency and projects were now on hold for far to long and costing the business serious money.

These letters for the most part went unanswered. The correspondence that we did eventually receive led to no clear indication of when or what we should expect. 11 Weeks later, to the day I took the opportunity to go to the High Commission myself, the first Tuesday of February and low and behold they processed my application and issued my work visa on the spot. I waited at the High Commission for about 6 hours but eventually walked out smiling.

I cannot tell you how the 'limbo' + refusal has affected me but I can tell you that I am overwhelmed with joy and can continue with my life now knowing that things worked out.

My advise to all those out there that are part of the process. Hang in there, persevere, do not make decisions until it is final, stressing will get you nothing and only frustrate you and those around you. After all, everything happens for a reason whatever the outcome is!

Good luck to those still there, I'll be planning to touch down in Toronto 2nd Week March latest.

• Like 9

Painter lady

That's great news @Squire! I'm just curious to know how your new employer waited so patiently? They usually give the impression that they wanted you there as in yesterday. 

• Like 1

Squire
50 minutes ago, Painter lady said:

That's great news @Squire! I'm just curious to know how your new employer waited so patiently? They usually give the impression that they wanted you there as in yesterday. 

I must be exceptionally lucky. Further to that they have kept me and my family highly motivated and have sent us mementos and messages of encouragement throughout the process.

• Like 4

Painter lady

That's wonderful!. If they are already that good to you, can you just imagine how great it will be working with them?! Sounds as if you are off to a great start. 

• Like 2

Druce

Congratulations @Squire, I am so excited for you and your family! Well done on keeping on, keeping on - that's whats needed throughout this process, the spirit of perseverance! 

• Like 2

graciax452

Wow great news @Squire. You are well on your way? When will you be starting work and what industry are you in? It's amazing how they have supported you in the long wait, it will be fab for sure :) 

• Like 1

Squire

Thanks @graciax452 and @Druce. Definitely well on our way. I have a call with my new Co. later today to discuss flights. Am aiming for March 6th.

I am in the tech industry,  specifically development of software platforms using anything biometric related, anything that requires an 'identity'. Both South Africa and Canada are setting global standards in the field of identity applications so it's a very exciting time.

It is amazing that my new Co. has been so supportive. My thanks to them will be taking the Co. to the next level of success :D

Edited by Squire
  • Like 2

MouseSA

Great to hear Squire.  

• Like 1

Squire

Update: I have literally sold everything I own....

I depart on Saturday and arrive Sunday. Start work on Monday, talk about fast movers, this experience has so far been surreal. Wife and kids will follow 4 weeks later! 

So so so excited :D

Edited by Squire
  • Like 9

Clover

Hi everyone... I am in a bit of a pickle

Would you recommend a work permit rather than PR if I am going as an international pharmacy graduate to do an internship? And I am struggling to figure out on CIC if I need LMIO??

Any advice?

Kind regards

And Thank you...

Nettie
6 hours ago, Clover said:

Hi everyone... I am in a bit of a pickle

Would you recommend a work permit rather than PR if I am going as an international pharmacy graduate to do an internship? And I am struggling to figure out on CIC if I need LMIO??

Any advice?

Kind regards

And Thank you...

Can the College of Pharmacists (the appropriate Board) or company, who awarded you this internship, perhaps tell you what you need? 

Which province are you coming to? Let me know, then I can help you search for answers. Have you already written the required exams?

For Ontario, you can ask your question here: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/questions/OI_QUESTIONS_EXPERT.html

Edited by Nettie

Clover
On 10/07/2017 at 0:10 AM, Nettie said:

Can the College of Pharmacists (the appropriate Board) or company, who awarded you this internship, perhaps tell you what you need? 

Which province are you coming to? Let me know, then I can help you search for answers. Have you already written the required exams?

For Ontario, you can ask your question here: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/questions/OI_QUESTIONS_EXPERT.html

Hi Nettie thank you so much.. I have spoken to the pharmacy board in Alberta.. they said that I need to do the qualifying exam (next exam is in Nov) and have my credetials evaluated by PEBC which I can do this weekend (book the exam and send my documents)

I have sent my resume to a pharmacist willing to be my tutor, and I have a family friends that I can stay with. The evaluating exams I can write after my internship. 

Kind Regards

CP

• Like 1