Sign in to follow this  
Dedré

Work Permit Time Line

Bigdyl

Hi @Lanieb,

We are in the same boat and a similar time line to yourselves, the Canadian lawyers handling our WP application submitted on the 24th November 2015, the only update we have had so far is the the medicals have been passed, although they have said that it seems the WP applications are slower at the moment they have told us to plan around 6 months, this week we are at 3 months. They told us yesterday that there are no further updates although we should expect for our passports to be called for between month 5 and 6.

Regards

• Like 2

Nelline

@Bigdyl and @Lanieb it would be great if you could both go to the thread where we're compiling a list of work permit "careers" and add your info, if you're willing to share that info with the rest of us. Yes, I know of another person coming in on a WP and it seems to be about 6 months on average now. 

Lanieb

This is horrible ???.  To wait another 2 months ??

Lanieb

Just received the phone call and email to confirm our work permit was granted !!!!!   

Tears of hapiness !! 

Thank  you Lord !!!! 

• Like 10

Druce

LOL @Lanieb! I am SOOOO happy for you!

I have been reading your posts today and now this has just made my day!

Time to get that expensive champagne on ice, ITS A CELEBRATION!!! 

• Like 2

Raquel

Congratulations @Lanieb!!!! :D such great news! Start packing!!!! ;)

• Like 1

Qrios1

Congrats @Lanieb interesting how your emotions swung in an hour read your last two updates back to back. That's life hey but so stoked for you. Bring on that Champagne and P-A-R-T-Y 

• Like 2

Squire

Hi Everyone

I thought I would share our story so far. I was lucky enough to land a job offer last year October, I contacted the CEO of the company a year before that to propose the opportunity to have me work for them, and during the course of 2015 I was involved with a number of online interviews until finally they flew me to Toronto for a 3 day interview process - it was tough but I secured the job and that's where the story starts. The company was nice enough to fly my family, Wife and 5 year old son to Toronto for a weeks holiday in early December, my Wife had never travelled abroad so it was very exciting for her. Since then we have had our second son, he's 2 months, and although I have been with my wife for 9 years, we only got married in March this year :P So, Marriage, Immigration, Newborn....all in less than a year.

The company signed up with a reputable Immigration Law Firm who has been handling my case thus far. The timeline at this point is as follows:

2015/10/05 - Landed in Toronto on TRV
2015/10/08 - Got the job offer from company, came back to SA
2015/11/01 - Law firm started preparing LMIA requirements
2015/12/05 - Family landed in Toronto on TRV's for a week holiday
2016/02/10 - Job positing's stated incorrect compensation amount, we had to re-advertise on the job bank etc..., but this made the case stronger for LMIA
2016/05/27 - LMIA application submitted to Service Canada
2016/06/13 - Second son is born
2016/07/02 - Positive LMIA received
2016/07/10 - Medicals booked for family
2016/07/27 - Medicals concluded
2016/07/29 - Medicals sent to CIC confirmed
2016/08/05 - Work Permit Application submitted to CIC with TRV for my infant son (no need for the rest of my family since they had TRVs approved in November)
....And now we wait.

Just a heads up, all documentation that was submitted to CIC has been done via the Law Firm in Toronto. The WP application was submitted to CIC online so I am eager to see how long it takes to process (CIC Processing times for SA indicated 16 weeks last I checked......wth) or at least get to a desk in Pretoria.

Currently we are making the preparations for our move and I am just going boinkers at this point since I cannot WAIT any longer and really don't want any hiccups with the application, sure its my own anxious self that keeps me up at night.

In any case, if anybody has any questions what so ever I would be happy to help with answers, this process requires ALOT of patience and tenacity, and I know every piece of information helps!!

Edited by Squire
refined
  • Like 3

Druce

Welcome to sacanada @Squire! Yes, the process does require a lot of patience and tenacity, just hang in there, you will be on your way soon! 

• Like 1

Squire

Thanks @Druce!!

For the most part we have had very short turnaround times with CIC and Service Canada, here's a breakdown:

1. CIC Online TRV Application for myself - Approval received 10 days after submission
  2. CIC Online TRV Application for my Wife and Son - Approval received 4 days after submission
  3. LMIA Application processed by Law Firm - Approval received about 1 month after submission even though I qualified for 10 days speed service due to 'high earner' classification
  4. CIC Online TRV (youngest son) and WP (myself) Submitted - Pending approval.

We all received 10 year multiple entry TRVs to start with so I am hoping that the fact that we have UCI and some form of Canadian Status pushes the WP quicker, my optimistic thoughts are that we should be flying from the 1st October...hopefully this is realistic.

• Like 2

Painter lady

You are one lucky dude @Squire! What is your occupation? 

• Like 1

M-N
15 hours ago, Squire said:

Hi Everyone

I thought I would share our story so far. I was lucky enough to land a job offer last year October, I contacted the CEO of the company a year before that to propose the opportunity to have me work for them, and during the course of 2015 I was involved with a number of online interviews until finally they flew me to Toronto for a 3 day interview process - it was tough but I secured the job and that's where the story starts. The company was nice enough to fly my family, Wife and 5 year old son to Toronto for a weeks holiday in early December, my Wife had never travelled abroad so it was very exciting for her. Since then we have had our second son, he's 2 months, and although I have been with my wife for 9 years, we only got married in March this year :P So, Marriage, Immigration, Newborn....all in less than a year.

The company signed up with a reputable Immigration Law Firm who has been handling my case thus far. The timeline at this point is as follows:

2015/10/05 - Landed in Toronto on TRV
2015/10/08 - Got the job offer from company, came back to SA
2015/11/01 - Law firm started preparing LMIA requirements
2015/12/05 - Family landed in Toronto on TRV's for a week holiday
2016/02/10 - Job positing's stated incorrect compensation amount, we had to re-advertise on the job bank etc..., but this made the case stronger for LMIA
2016/05/27 - LMIA application submitted to Service Canada
2016/06/13 - Second son is born
2016/07/02 - Positive LMIA received
2016/07/10 - Medicals booked for family
2016/07/27 - Medicals concluded
2016/07/29 - Medicals sent to CIC confirmed
2016/08/05 - Work Permit Application submitted to CIC with TRV for my infant son (no need for the rest of my family since they had TRVs approved in November)
....And now we wait.

Just a heads up, all documentation that was submitted to CIC has been done via the Law Firm in Toronto. The WP application was submitted to CIC online so I am eager to see how long it takes to process (CIC Processing times for SA indicated 16 weeks last I checked......wth) or at least get to a desk in Pretoria.

Currently we are making the preparations for our move and I am just going boinkers at this point since I cannot WAIT any longer and really don't want any hiccups with the application, sure its my own anxious self that keeps me up at night.

In any case, if anybody has any questions what so ever I would be happy to help with answers, this process requires ALOT of patience and tenacity, and I know every piece of information helps!!

Congrats! We also came over on a WP and yes, the process is still daunting.   All the best with your future endeavours.  

• Like 1

Squire

@Painter lady I am a Solutions Architect / Software Developer falling under NOC 2173

• Like 1

Squire

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 1:12 AM, M-N said:

Congrats! We also came over on a WP and yes, the process is still daunting.   All the best with your future endeavours.  

Thanks @M-N!! Have you started to apply (or applied already) for PR?

M-N
21 hours ago, Squire said:

Thanks @M-N!! Have you started to apply (or applied already) for PR?

Done and dusted.  We got PR October 2015.  One year after landing with a TWP.  We had to wait for 2015 for the EE to start.   :) 

• Like 1

Rumark

We got our work permits today :D:D (we applied on 19 May)

Edited by Rumark
  • Like 5

Lanieb

Congratulations !!  Wonderful feeling !?  Enjoy the rush of booking tickets, finalizing last minute stuff and the dreaded good byes.    Where are you settling ?

• Like 1

Squire

Congratulations @Rumark!!

Exciting times ahead for you! Did you do upfront medicals and did you submit online or at VFS?

Squire

Ok not sure if this is any indication of where the timeline may go from here but we received word that the application was opened and our Medicals were flagged as 'Passed'. No other documents required at this time...Final Decision 'Not Started'. Granted it was submitted online on 5th August. Any insight?

Thackwray

Hi Squire,

If all of your documents are on order and no additional documents are requested it can take as little as 3-4 weeks. Mine took 5 weeks from that time but I had to submit additional documents which took me about a week to get.

Hope that gives you an indication.

• Like 1

Squire

Thanks @Thackwray!

I hope it's that soon. CIC website indicates 16 weeks at present in terms of WP processing times for SA...I remember when it was only 8 weeks back in April. We have an immigration law firm handling my case, hope that equals a power up!

Rumark
On 8/19/2016 at 9:32 AM, Squire said:

Congratulations @Rumark!!

Exciting times ahead for you! Did you do upfront medicals and did you submit online or at VFS?

Thanks! We did upfront medicals and submitted online. It's really awesome to have everything read and then instantly upload it.

On 8/18/2016 at 1:51 PM, Lanieb said:

Congratulations !!  Wonderful feeling !?  Enjoy the rush of booking tickets, finalizing last minute stuff and the dreaded good byes.    Where are you settling ?

We'll be settling somewhere in British Columbia :D

• Like 2

Squire

Thanks @Rumark!

I have a question that perhaps someone might know the answer to, if I get in touch with Pretoria CHC (Show up in person or email) is there a chance I can speed up my process?

Taking into account that my application was submitted by a Canadian Immigration Law Firm and I completed a 'Use of Representative' document, the last thing I want to do is disrupt the process!

Any thoughts?

Rumark

Hi Squire ... I really am no expert. However, one thing I learned in this process is that you are completely not in control. Once you submit your documents you are at the mercy of the system and all you can do is wait for them to contact you. My personal feeling is that there is no way for you to expedite it, but perhaps someone with more experience knows better.

Edited by Rumark
  • Like 1