Dedré

Work Permit Time Line

Island Life
What about your local CIC office? I heard this was possible for people who were already inside Canada.

Natalie (and Pierre) - Yes, I'll definitely check that out. However when I was at the airport, the immigration person I spoke to asked me how long I had been in Canada on a work permit before I applied for PR. I thought that was a strange question, but they explained to me that if you are in Canada for one year on a work permit, and only then apply for your PR, you are allowed to land (flagpole) in Canada. Apparently this is written in the CIC website as well - I haven't checked yet.

Island Life,

Congratulations to you and the family with receiving your PR.

:rolleyes: Kind Regards,

Nirak

Been requested to submit our passports - will do so first thing tomorrow morning.

EvB
Been requested to submit our passports - will do so first thing tomorrow morning.

congrats!!!! this is fab news, you guys must be jumping over the moon!!!!!

All the best, Regards

Guest CharlvS

Congratulations Nirak! You guys must be very glad! :censored:

If you don't mind, how did they contact you? Phone call or letter in the mail?

Cheers!

Charl

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

Awesome news! :censored:

Nirak
If you don't mind, how did they contact you? Phone call or letter in the mail?

We received an email.

Guest CharlvS
We received an email.

Duh... the only option I didn't think of. :censored: Thanks for informing us. :lol:

einselec

Our medicals was done on 8 May and sent of on 9 May. Hope we hear during this week or next week because the house was sold on paper today and we will know within the next 2 weeks if the buyer's loan was approved. Would be nice to get the passport request and some good news about the sale of the house.

Good luck to all the other people that has been waiting as well!!!!

P.S. I completely forgot!!!! Congratulations Nirak!!!!!!

Edited by einselec

Nirak

Our file is going for final decision this afternoon.

Trevor&Anelle

Thinking of you Nirak! Hope everything will be finalized tomorrow!

Trevor&Anelle

Our timeline:

11 April - Job Interview

18 April - Job Offer via e-mail as well as e-mailed acceptance

Beginning May - Finally got paper job offer via courier (who took forever due to all the public holidays), sign and return via courier.

10 May - LMO application submitted

11 June - LMO approved (just short of 5 weeks)

We're leaving tomorrow morning for Jo'burg so that we can be at CHC bright and early on Friday morning to hand in our work permit applications :-)

Anelle

Guest CharlvS
Our file is going for final decision this afternoon.

Hi Nirak,

That's strange? :blink: Doesn't a request-for-passports imply that your work permit will be put into your passport?

Nirak

For those that are wondering - we are still in SA. Our passports are still with CHC. Out of desperation I drove there this morning and we will have a final answer by the end of the week.

einselec

Nirak

You are lucky to stay close enough to make a turn there in person. We have now been waiting for 5 weeks and 2 days since our medicals arrived in Nairobi and we still have not heard anything. PNP medicals is supposed to be as quick as the work permit medicals but it seems that we will have to wait the normal 8 week period before we will hear anything.

Good luck!

Cathy
PNP medicals is supposed to be as quick as the work permit medicals

As far as I know there is no difference in the processing time for medicals regardless of what visa you are applying for. The processing time for medicals is 6-8 weeks. Even 18 months ago when we had our work permit medicals it took a full 6 weeks before we heard anything.

Hope your wait is over soon.

einselec

Hi Cathy

Monday will be 6 weeks but I doubt if we will hear soon because apparently CHC has got loads and loads of work permit applications that they are currently processing. The Doctor that we went to said that she cannot beleive the number of people that are currently visiting her for medicals to go to Canada.

It seems the flood gates have opened and everyone that can is trying to get off this sinking ship called South Africa at the moment.

Will keep you informed if our status change!

Guest CharlvS
Hi Cathy

Monday will be 6 weeks but I doubt if we will hear soon because apparently CHC has got loads and loads of work permit applications that they are currently processing. The Doctor that we went to said that she cannot beleive the number of people that are currently visiting her for medicals to go to Canada.

It seems the flood gates have opened and everyone that can is trying to get off this sinking ship called South Africa at the moment.

Will keep you informed if our status change!

Dude, I'm telling you... one more week... and then you will get the news. If after 8 weeks you haven't heard anything, send them an e-mail asking for a status report. They are very helpful, but it might take a few days for them to respond to your query.

Don't lose faith, you guys are almost there. :lol:

einselec

Thank you Charl

It is getting more and more difficult to wait as the days and weeks drag on. Doubt is setting in. I am suddenly not so sure if we passed the medicals etc.

The only thing that we are still sure of is that we have made the right dicision to try and move to Canada.

natalieh
For those that are wondering - we are still in SA. Our passports are still with CHC. Out of desperation I drove there this morning and we will have a final answer by the end of the week.

Any news yet Karin? I don't understand why it takes so long for them to make a decision.

Nirak
Any news yet Karin? I don't understand why it takes so long for them to make a decision.

Got an email today saying that it went to the officer for final decision (which according to a previous email should have happened last week already) and that we should hear from them early next week (after being told yesterday that we should hear from them by tomorrow at the latest). It seems like they have an issue with the fact that the position is permanent. I'm really getting very frustrated...

Guest CharlvS
Got an email today saying that it went to the officer for final decision (which according to a previous email should have happened last week already) and that we should hear from them early next week (after being told yesterday that we should hear from them by tomorrow at the latest). It seems like they have an issue with the fact that the position is permanent. I'm really getting very frustrated...

Nirak, both Dedre and I are praying for you guys for a speedy and positive outcome. We are REALLY thinking of you. Keep the faith!!!

natalieh

Uh oh, you should have put a start and an end date on your application and on the employment contract. You can only get a work permit for a position which is temporary, even though it is permanent for all intents and purposes.

All they want to know is that when your work permit comes to an end you will leave the country, even if your intention is to apply for PR once you are in Canada. Their concern is that if your PR application is declined, you will stay on without status.

If you are by any chance called for an interview just say you made a mistake and that the position is temporary for now however your employer will consider permanent employment if you obtain PR.

Not to alarm you but If I were you I would start looking at applying for either Manitoba PNP or Skilled Worker PR with Arranged Employment in case your work permit application is turned down.

Island Life

The contract I arrived with in Canada, did not have an end date. It specifically stated "permanent", which then allowed me to immediately make an application for PR. My LMO had the start and end date, and my work permit had the same dates inserted as specified on the LMO.

natalieh

I guess sometimes they are more strict. In South Africa particularly it seems to be the case.