Dedré

Work Permit Time Line

Dedré

For all of those who are/have been in the Work Permit process, please post your time lines here. We would love to track how long it takes to get to Canada!

Please note the following on the CIC Website with regards to Medical Processing times:

Normally, we receive results from the medical officer within 6 to 8 weeks of the information being sent to Kenya.

You will only be contacted regarding medical results if there is a negative result or a need for further tests.

If you would like to view the whole document, click on the black bar (that is at the top of the image) and then,

if the image shows on your screen, click on it again to enlarge and read. You can even save it.

post-3879-1259864473.jpg

I am working on a way to get it linked directly as a web page to this page... still working on that.

Anyone with updates can contact me should they want it added. <_<

Further Important Links:

Medical Examinations FAQ

Process that will be followed when doing a Medical Examination

Canadian Visa Office Pretoria SA Contact Details

High Commission of Canada to SA Official Website

Visa & Immigration Processing Times

Application Processing Times for CIC as a whole

For Acronyms on Provinces, please go HERE, to see.

Island Life

My timeline (still in progress):

April 07 - employer made application for LMO (Alberta)

June 07 - positive LMO issued (took 13 weeks)

July 07 - work permit issued (at airport)

Aug 07 - PR application lodged to CHC

Oct 07 - AOR received, confirmed that it would be expedited due to approved employment

Nov 07 - Alberta PNP application made (just in case)

Dec 07 - Confirmation (via email) that PR application is being processed

Jan 08 - PNP issued (employer portion)

Feb 08 - PNP withdrawn by AB government (due to PR being processed)

Mar 08 - letter arrived asking us to proceed to have medicals done

Apr 08 - medicals completed and originals of birth and marriage certificate sent to CHC

einselec

A friend of mine recently returned to SA after his work permit expired. He applied for his new work permit in January and received it about a week ago. (1st week in April.)

He went to help out his old company here in Cape Town while he waited for the work permit and he was offered a position that he almost accepted until they broke into his house last Thursday, while he was at work, and cleaned it out completely! He will be flying back to Edmonton a.s.a.p. after he gets his visa!! His employer in Canada is willing to sponsor him for PR and hopefully he will have that before this work permit expires.

Nirak

Our application has been submitted today. We are LMO exempt.

Husky

Our time line:

February 2007 - sent in PR application to the Berlin office

October 2007 - went to Canada (Edmonton) for interviews

November 2007 - received job offer and employer applied for LMO

December 2007 - applied for work permit (concurrent with LMO application)

January 2008 - applied for PNP

March 2008 - received PNP certificate

April 2008 - received LMO

TODAY - received request for passports!!!

:rolleyes:

Dedré

Husky, was your final aim to go the PNP route? If so, I would rather put you guys under the PNP Time Line. Are you still in SA?

Husky

Hi Dedre,

Nope, we have been in Germany for the past two years. I think our time line could fit into both "work permit" and "PNP", but you can move it to where you think it will be most helpful!

Dedré

O.K. I will split it. I see Island Life's time line is the same type. Scratching my head here. Thought all will be clear cut... ;) It's not a problem though. Will add shortly.

Nirak

Received our request for medicals today and managed to get an appointment for 3pm.

Edited by Nirak

Dedré

Nirak,

Only saw your post now. Congratulations! How did it go?

Husky,

I decided to add your time line to the PR line as well.

Nirak
Nirak,

Only saw your post now. Congratulations! How did it go?

Thanks. So far so good. Everything is fine. Just need to see my orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to get a report on my arthritis that I'm actually a healthy human being. LOL Should be sent of on Monday to Nairobi, and they expect us to have the results in 3 weeks. Things are happening WAY too fast. LOL

Morne Limby

Hi

We were finally informed through a telephone call on 1 May that our passports and work permits are ready for pick-up! Finally!

We are now ready as ever and will book our flights asap.

Morne

Nirak

Our medicals were finally sent to Nairobi on Wednesday with "URGENT" written all over everything. Everyone is very optimistic that our little hiccup was just that, and won't have an influence at all.

Arlene
Our medicals were finally sent to Nairobi on Wednesday with "URGENT" written all over everything. Everyone is very optimistic that our little hiccup was just that, and won't have an influence at all.

Wonderful. Not long to go now.

stephendb

How long does it normally take to get a workpermit?

Also what checks/requirements have to be filled?

Also what paperwork will they need from me?

Steve

Nirak
How long does it normally take to get a workpermit?

Also what checks/requirements have to be filled?

Also what paperwork will they need from me?

Steve

It depends on the type of work, province (that will influence the LMO timeline), etc, etc. Quickest will be 4 weeks (if no LMO or medicals are required, but medicals are required for any position over 6 months, and certain occupations, even if the contract is for less than 6 months). The longest - pick a date. We "might" get our work permits within 6 weeks, but it could take a week or two longer.

As for documentation needed and a better explanation about the process, it is best to visit the CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-how.asp

Andre & Elaine

Hi Dedre

Just a quick note to update the wating periods.I recieved my positive LMO on the 8th of May, and have submitted all the docs for my work permit. So we'll continue to wait patiently for the the good news.

Andre

Island Life

Received our Confirmation of Permanent Residence today! Final step is the long drive to the US border to Land.

In total it has taken us 13 months and one week from applying for Temporary Work Permit to receiving CoPR.

natalieh

Island Life,

Hearty CONGRATULATIONS to you and your family!!!!!!!! Well done :blink:

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
Received our Confirmation of Permanent Residence today! Final step is the long drive to the US border to Land.

In total it has taken us 13 months and one week from applying for Temporary Work Permit to receiving CoPR.

Congrats!

It's an awesome feeling, not so?! :blink:

Guest CharlvS

Congrats man! I am sure you and your family are ecstatic! Well done!! :blink:

Island Life

Thanks all! I got the Fedex package yesterday with the CoPR letters (one for each member of my family) plus our passports, and being the impatient person I am, I called my wife and told her to get ready as we are driving down to the Montana border this weekend to flagpole (an 11 hour drive roundtrip). As I'm lurking on the forum and writing this, you can see I lost (as I usually do). She wants to plan it properly and go for a few days and see a bit of Montana, so we'll go in June. So a few more weeks of a SIN starting with 9! Wander what the price per litre of petrol will be then?

Also, for those wandering about this possibility - I went to the Edmonton International Airport and tried to flagpole there, but no luck - they wouldn't even think about it.

natalieh
Also, for those wandering about this possibility - I went to the Edmonton International Airport and tried to flagpole there, but no luck - they wouldn't even think about it.

What about your local CIC office? I heard this was possible for people who were already inside Canada.

Pierre

Hi Island Life, Congratulations with getting the PR papers.

Although I agree with your wife to see a bit of Montana, the big sky country, I didnt think it was necessary to do the flagpole trip anymore. I certainly did not do it.

I had a similar situation. Got PR after 18 months of work permit. But I only had to go to Canada Place in Edmonton to get the PR activated. That was somewhere in 2003.

Iv been to Montana twice since then - it is a beautiful place especially in the mountain ranges.

Heinrich

Well, Island Life (Kevin), it seems like you might just be lucky by going to Canada Place downtown.

It was great being an eyewitness to all of this. Thanks for inviting me in. (Folks, Kevin took me along with him when he went to fetch the big envelope at FedEx at the airport. You should have seen that broad smile on his face when he came out of the office! We also celebrated it afterwards with a braai and beer at his house.)

Congratulations to you and your family again.