Sign in to follow this  
Chazon

Help

Chazon

Hey everybody i'm 16 years old

I need info on how people are over there in canada and if it is very hard to make new friends?

Can anybody also pleaze tel me how vancouver is like because my parents are planing on moving there. And i'm very stressed on how it's going to be, and how people are there.

Pleaze Reply

Marne'.... :lol:

Edited by Chazon

Dedré

Marné,

How old are you?

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell
Marné,

How old are you?

Hello Dedré...how about some coffee to wake the dear lady up? :lol::cry::)

Ingrid Brunkhorst Hurrell

I need info on how people are over there in canada and if it is very hard to make new friends?

Can anybody also pleaze tel me how vancouver is like because my parents are planing on moving there. And i'm very stressed on how it's going to be, and how people are there.

Pleaze Reply

Marne'.... :lol:

Marné

I can only answer you as a mom.

I have two sons and, yes, it is always a bit tough to make new friends.

It doesn't matter where you move, start over, go...it always takes a bit of time to adjust, find your place, make friends.

We live in the Lower Mainland, probably a good 45 mins from Vancouver.

In general, the Canadian kids are nice, but as always yo get the bullies etc.

Important thing is that you need to know who you are, what your principles and values, focus and interests in life are - it won't be long and you will meet like-minded students.

Emigrating is tough on parents too. We hurt for our kids, especially when we have one that is a bit shy. So talk with your parent(s) - make use of family times to let them know when you are having a tough time. That's how we all grow and survive this thing called immigration!

The schools have great support systems in their counsellors who have offices at the school. It's always helpful to make an appointment to see one of them - that way you can talk about anything you are unsure of, don't understand or find hard to deal with.

Something all of us go through when we emigrate to another country is culture shock. When you are suddenly in a culture that is slightly or very different to you own, it can come as a bit of a 'shock.' It takes time to understand the new culture you are in - why people do and say and act in a way that's different to what you are used to. Why their values are different, and their customs. It's very, very normal to experience culture shock but you will get through that.

Please don't be over-stressed. Change is kinda difficult, but it is actually also very exciting. You will be able to study, play, learn, grow up in an environment where you will have a lot of new opportunities come your way. Life is actually a lot of fun too, eh?! Look forward to a new beginning, a new season in your life. Allow yourself to dream a bit. Make sure you have a good network of friends back in SA that you can still stay in contact with, but take the future with both hands and decide in your own heart that YOU are going to make the best of it! And yes, there may be grey days, or days you miss home terribly, or...but, if you choose to then say, 'hey, I'm cool and I can make it here!' you will find life comes at you a lot easier...

If you are into sports, chess, academics, music, drama, etc etc...that will be an excellent starting point too, along with any youth group etc. Lots of ways to slowly but surely make friends and as I always tell my sons, 'the best way to win friends is to BE a friend!'

Hope you will come and update us here from time to time. All the best!

Edited by Ingrid Hurrell

Dedré
Hello Dedré...how about some coffee to wake the dear lady up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rolleyes: Oi! It's Monday! It's Monday! One cup never helps! Will have to try the whole pot! :P

Thanks for the help Ingrid!

Chazon

Hey Ingrid

Thanx for the reply, just want to know if the culture there is very different then ours?

Merv
Hey Ingrid

Thanx for the reply, just want to know if the culture there is very different then ours?

CUlture? What culture? :rolleyes:

natalieh

Hey Marne,

My kids are at school right now but I will have my 15 year old post when he gets home. You can then communicate with him. We live in the Lower Mainland too.

What sort of things are you into?

Karen

Yes, Chazon, the culture is very different from the SA one you know, but remember, that everywhere in the world, people are much the same, really.

It does take time to acclimatise to the culture, but at the same time, you don't have to give up on yours. That is the beauty of Canada - you can remain who you are and only change what suits you. This is very much a culture of immigrants - we all come from somewhere, and the thing is to bring the best of yours with you and use it here to make a new life.

People are gentler here than in SA, kids are more outspoken and you may find them undisciplined compared to what you know. They have a lot of freedom- of dress, of speech or whatever and they seem to grow up quicker than SA kids because of it.

The thing to do, is to try not to worry about all of this. Things have a way of working out far better than you imagine they will, if you are prepared to adapt, keep a sense of humour and just go with the flow.

Chazon
Hey Marne,

My kids are at school right now but I will have my 15 year old post when he gets home. You can then communicate with him. We live in the Lower Mainland too.

What sort of things are you into?

Hey Natalieh

I'm into lots of stuff but mainly stuff like music, I like to do sport e.g. Softball, tennis, etc, I also like to dance, I love watching movies, and I also like playing games on the computer.....

Edited by Chazon

natalieh

Hey Marne,

With it being the first day back at school after Spring break he didn't have a chance to post but will do so today.

I know it was very difficult for the kids when we first arrived here but when they started school it got easier. The kids are friendly and will want to talk to you because you have an accent, they like SAfrican accents!

Being a mother of 3 teenagers I don't find it any different to when they were in SAfrica. They go to parties at their friends houses and vice versa, have parties at ours( ;) ). Other than that they go to movies, and my 15 year old spends far too much time on his computer playing games. I don't know if you play Warcraft?

When he started school he opted to do a Hockey program and enjoys that very much. This September he will join a team.

So things that you do there you will be able to do here. The kids have said though that it is difficult to make close friends because the kids have all grown up together. But then, it's only been a year. Close friends take a while to cultivate.

They miss their friends in SA very much, but are able to stay in touch through skype, msn, etc.

So, until later, when Michael can answer any more questions you have ;)

Chazon

Hey

How are the schools there in Canada?

Edited by Chazon

natalieh

The schools are good. If you've seen American high schools on television with lockers, cafeteria's, gyms, etc. it is very much like that. The kids don't have a uniform in public schools, so they mostly wear jeans.

Subjects are varied and you can do things that you enjoy doing, like film and television, languages, band, hockey, etc.

Chazon

Hey everybody ;)

I am just wandering how is the weather like in Vancouver....

Marne.... ;)

natalieh

Weather is not as bad as the rest of Canada.

Summer is awesome, you can do lot's of watersports, hiking, etc. in summer and in winter you can do skiing, snow boarding, etc.

Chazon

Hey

How was the first day of school in Canada, and is it hard to fit in?

Edited by Chazon

natalieh

Hey there it was kinda awkward on the first day i didnt really enjoy it , and i still dont because i dont like canadians. when i went to school they didnt really really make me feel welcome and i didnt really make friends for the first couple of days because no one really spoke to me they all had their own groups etc. so i eventually made friends in the sport group because i went into hockey academy which my parents had to pay for lol was expensive for the gear etc. but then again like my mom just said i started school on the start school which ment people were busy etc i kinda guess it depends when you start. But YOU ARE GOING TO MISS SOUTH AFRICA because the people over there are way better than here i guess because i grew up with them. but i am going to visit there very soon. most people work at your age so i guess most people keep them selfs busy by working . peace dude hope you have a cool time in Canada. just try have as much fun as you can before you leave ;)

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

michael

Edited by natalieh

Chazon
Hey there it was kinda awkward on the first day i didnt really enjoy it , and i still dont because i dont like canadians. when i went to school they didnt really really make me feel welcome and i didnt really make friends for the first couple of days because no one really spoke to me they all had their own groups etc. so i eventually made friends in the sport group because i went into hockey academy which my parents had to pay for lol was expensive for the gear etc. but then again like my mom just said i started school on the start school which ment people were busy etc i kinda guess it depends when you start. But YOU ARE GOING TO MISS SOUTH AFRICA because the people over there are way better than here i guess because i grew up with them. but i am going to visit there very soon. most people work at your age so i guess most people keep them selfs busy by working . peace dude hope you have a cool time in Canada. just try have as much fun as you can before you leave :unsure:

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

michael

Hey

How long did it take before you made friends, and how hard is it to make a close friend? How is Canada so far, do you enjoy living there or not? What kinds of sport are there in school?

;):)

natalieh
Hey

How long did it take before you made friends, and how hard is it to make a close friend? How is Canada so far, do you enjoy living there or not? What kinds of sport are there in school?

Hey it took me about 2-3 weeks to make friends well i dont really call them friends more like aquantinsis how ever you spell that lol um i dont like living here at all my parents love it though ;) they mostly in to hockey and american football if you play rugby like i did in south africa its not big here at all but there is a team (small) most people play computer games lol which i got into when i got here most play world of warcraft which i sadly play. most of the people are quite stuck up which i do not like but yeah keep in touch with your south african friends because you will want to visit them and talk to them.

Mike.

Liz

My daughter was almost 15 when we moved here and she has never looked back. Made ample friends at school (they loved her accent) and still thanks us for making the move. She is now 21, lives and works in Calgary, and became a proud citizen in February. We had made two visits to Vancouver before, and she had a say in the matter, (of moving), because of her age and how it would affect her. At that age, she also knew what was going on in SA and that she probably didn't have a future there. She stayed positive and viola!

Something else worth mentioning is that the humour here is very different to what we're used to, so you can easily offend someone without meaning to. My daughter had to explain a few things in the beginning until she got to know what really amuses them and what doesn't. They, on the other hand, also got to understand her sense of humour.

It may depend on where you live...the school my daughter went to had many immigrant kids. She made friends with many fellow immigrants (remember, you're all in the same boat) and as many Canadian kids.

Good luck!

Chazon

Hey

Thanx for the replies!

My brother wants to know if the girls are nice looking in canada? :rolleyes:

Is it hard to relate to people in Canada?

Is there like busses that you can take to school?

Marne....

fatcat

Hey

My kids were 14 and 18 when we arrived here and off course they missed their SA friends, but the people here were so friendly and supportive they had close friends in no time. Please remember that making new friends is a two way thing, you have to make the effort as well. Get yourself involved in school activities and sport - ask questions. School is not that much different from SA ( well my daughters wasn't - she was in a private school there and in a Catholic school here) except that all schools are co-ed and that there is no uniform. Guess I am trying to say that teenagers worldwide are all the same !

You parents are making a very wise choice for you and your family, know that what they are doing is going to be good - look at it like an adventure

We have been here 5 years and my kids are now 23 and 19 - they have had so many wonderful experiences that they would never have experienced in SA - I know that sometimes it must have been hard for them but they are both very glad that we came to Canada and they both agree that it was the best move for them and they have the advantage of having good friends here and in SA.

QRM

You will love it.

Kids are very friendly, My kids love it, nothing like the boring schools in Sa.

Just like you see in the Movies !