boeg

Katimavik

boeg

Stumbled across this volunteer programme for Canadian youths:Katimavik

Looks like a good thing.

dieulefit
Stumbled across this volunteer programme for Canadian youths:Katimavik

Looks like a good thing.

Boeg, do NOT let me start talking on Katimavik :lol: . It is a WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL program. Justin Tredeau (his dad was Pierre Tredeau) is the spokesperson for Katimivik. My daughter took a year off before going to university as she was only 17 when she finished high school. She JUST made the program by turning 17 a week before she left. She did the year program and let me tell you, it turned her life around 180 degrees! It is not an easy program and a wonderful thing for either students like her, not sure what they want to go and study and or students who are a bit 'lost' and or students who are in transition in their lives. In her group were 12 students from the age of 17 (her being the youngest that year of all the students) and up to 24 (mostly college and or university students) - 6 males and 6 females and they were living in the same house with only one bathroom!!

They had to cook ALL their meals and if they wanted to eat bread, they were not allowed to buy a bread, they had to BAKE it! They cleaned their home and it was CLEAN! They have one person (usually an ex-Katimavik student) who is living with them and oversee their wellbeing and that all rules are followed and will report back to the Katimavik Head Office.) They were given a strict budget to work with and the house rules were equally strict. I think they were given $3.00 per day per student. They would easily send a student back home if he/she did not comply with the house rules and no drinking/using of drugs are allowed. Team spirit was VERY important and they would encourage a student who felt he/she could no longer stay. If your mom was dying and you had to go home - it was the end of your stay with Katimavik! NO excuse to break your program for a single day - you would go and work when you were sick as a dog! My daughter was and we were VERY worried about her - we were only informed by the Health Department of New Brunswick, where she was at the time - I was beside myself... .

Every student must also go out and volunteer with a family during their time - my daughter worked for a family on their farm. They home schooled their kids and she was given the task to clean out the chicken coop :lol: :lol: . She almost DIED doing it as the chicken coop was not cleaned in a very long time - ugh! She had to walk 3 blocks to a kindergarten in St Paul, Alberta and when the temperature was minus 40 - she told us later she was completely frozen getting to the nursery and had to lay on the floor in a bundle and warm herself up before she could continue her tasks and there she got really sick after sterilizing children's toys (every day) with bleach!! We were horrified about that and send her special gloves and a mask to protect her lungs. It was a nursery for mostly First Nations kids and the rules there were very couci-cousa. We got to see her only once and it was when we could not stand the fact that they are not allowed to go home - not for a single day during their stay. (She did NOT want us to visit as none of the other student's parents did - well, were are not OTHER student's parents :lol:!) We got to see her for about 2 hours and we traveled all the way to New Brunswick AND spend a night, snowed in at the airport :lol: :lol: . Every holiday they would go and volunteer and give workers e.g at an old age home time off to be with their families etc. They cleaned toilets, looked after kids in day care, scrub floors, worked in barns etc. My daughter worked in a kitchen of a institution for mentally handicapped young people and there a young man (age 23) fell in love with her! He was so sweet, every time he knew she would be there for the day, he would dress up and make sure she sees him... . He was kind and gentle and our daughter felt heartbroken that his family hardly ever came to see him - he was a son of a wealthy Quebec family.

At the end of their program, each student get only $1 000 and a Certificate of them volunteering with Katimavik. When a student, who did Katimavik, apply for ANY college and or university across Canada mention he/she studied at Katimavik and include their Certificate, they have NO problem getting accepted! They know what kind of a student that is who is finishing the harsh program that Katimavik is.

Our daughter came back a complete new person. There are people here on this Forum who knows her and they can all agree with me - we are very blessed to be her parents. She is currently an Honor Student at Concordia University in Montreal and is transferring this next year to McGill., where she will continue her studies in languages - she will minor in English and major in Greek/Latin and currently speaks 7 languages. Guess WHAT?! She is leaving on the 11th of April for Scotland... to volunteer at a retreat on the Isle of Hull, working with troubled inner city kids.... she hasn't had enough!!